Lowell Grand Banks Dory by Retiredpm - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:24

Through the advice of many on this forum, I chose the Dory to begin my endeavor into this new hobby. The instructions say to take my time. Not a problem since I am a beginner. I am finding the terminology to be a different language to learn. I tried using an old cutting board, but it is so wavy, I will break down and get a proper board. The adventure begins.

9C2A76F9-5FC3-40A1-9434-95C205292FE6.jpeg

• ccoyle changed the title to Lowell Grand Banks Dory by Retiredpm - Model Shipways - 1:24

One way to round a square section stick is to gently whittle off the corners at 45 degrees with a sharp blade first. Then take a small strip of sandpaper (150 grit will do), loop it with the grit inside and hold both ends between your left finger and thumb (if you are right handed. The stick is inserted in the loop  and moved up and down, revolving it a little every few strokes. Keep the sandpaper loop fairly tight around the stick while you do this.

Just found your log. Looks good! I found that a small vise is very useful in rounding the oars. Clamp the piece in the vise, extending the end an inch or so at a time, working your way down towards the blade. Hold a small, thin strip of the sandpaper by the ends and loop it around the oar shaft in a "C" shape to that it is in contact with the wood on the top and sides. Move your hands in opposition to one another to sand. Do this with the loop at the top, bottom, sides. Don't try to reach the final shape in one pass. . .

Bob

• 2 weeks later...
  • ccoyle changed the title to Lowell Grand Banks Dory by Retiredpm - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:24