Permission to board from the Finger Lakes

Greetings from the Finger Lakes region of New York State (about 5 or 6 hours NW of New York City). I've decided to actually participate in this community instead of just skulking behind piles of old fishing nets and empty rum barrels. 

When COVID locked me in the hold with nothing to do, I tried to find a hobby that would interest me, and came across this forum and the many amazing models that you all have built. I'm a carpenter and woodworker, and built model cars as a kid, so I decided to try model ships. I bought the Artesania Swift pilot boat and finished building it a week or so ago. Even before the planking was finished, I was hooked. 

I planned to build the brig Supply next, but decided to take a smaller bite by building the Lady Nelson. This time I'm going to keep a build log, and try to give back by passing along my trials, tribulations, and occasional successes. I can't tell you how much I appreciate all the other build logs and the experience and wisdom shared therein. I hope to contribute in some small way. 

Wish me luck as I cast off!

Mike

Mike

currently SE of Disorder

Current Build: HM Cutter Lady Nelson - Amati

Previous Build: Swift 1805 - Artesania Latina

A most warm welcome Mike.   Yes, do please keep a log on your upcoming project.   Before purchasing any kit, be sure to browse the build log sections here at MSW regarding kits.  Some are excellent in detail and instructions including some designed by members at MSW who have actually built a lot of models so know what is needed.  Others look glorious on the box cover, but when looking at the  models themselves they leave a lot to be desired in actually using a good wood species for modeling, accurately scaled parts, rigging line quality and realism, easy follow instructions and more.      

Looking forward to seeing your work!!

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Thanks, Allan! Yeah, I realized after looking at what's available that I could easily bite off more than I could chew. These forums helped a lot with decision making, especially the "What do you build first" thread in "Wood Model Ship Kits". Without all of you here, I'd definitely be adrift in shark-infested waters!

Mike

currently SE of Disorder

Current Build: HM Cutter Lady Nelson - Amati

Previous Build: Swift 1805 - Artesania Latina

Welcome to MSW, Mike.   We do what we can to keep the sharks away. :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I hope the same for you.  It's, shall we say, a tad on the warm side here with tomorrow supposedly worst here, around 110 F.   Seems like the forecast is changing every few hours.  From 2 weeks down to one week now for the heat wave.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, just saw this introduction. I grew up in the Finger Lakes and never stop missing it. Enjoy it for me and welcome to MSW!