HMS Pandora by Marvy

Hi,

I have recently finished my 1/100 (deck is ~28cm/11inch long) HMS Bounty. This was my very first ship model where I used official bluprints and other sources. The rigging isn't perfect, my apologies for that... Next time believe me I will try a new method to simplify and get standard & perfect result. The reason I do it myself that because I think the ship building should be fun. I bought a kit, but wasnt enjoyed what was in. Nice colored pictures, but without key details, it gave me lots of questions without answers..  So I figured out that I can do it myself, perhaps it will be better than an avarage model, perhaps won't. So here is the bounty, next posts will be about building the Pandora.

2 hours ago, Marvy said:

The rigging isn't perfect, my apologies for that.

No one needs to apologize for their results. We don't hand out 'pass' or 'fail' marks! I, for one, always tip my hat to scratch-builders, especially if they have pulled off a difficult first project.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

The Bounty is a terrific first effort! Well done!  But, I am impressed by your start to Pandora.  I am currently building the old Constructo kit of her and have found that the bow is too pointed, not rounded.  Therefore, I am trying to alter the design. You have mastered that design!  I cannot wait to see more.  By the way, what plans are you using?

Bill

Edited by Bill Morrison
To ask a question about plans . . .

Your Bounty came out well.   As for your question about the cabin and furniture, etc....  That's a question you'll need to answer for yourself.   Some would try it, some wouldn't. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Bill,

I think you should first identify the areas where you want to upgrade the kit.

My personal view, that side windows and boat (s) are definetely can be better if you make it by your own. For those two probably you shouldn't need the anatomy of ship book, as you have the windows (made by lead) as reference and I think boat plans can be found on net. (I also think that those gunports in kit shouldn't be used here).

I am using 'rmg.co.uk' class plans (prints) for the hull & deck, the quality for this scale is enough. Reason: this is the single source of truth, official. I also use anatomy of ship, but just as a reference and to get information about the details (mast heigh etc), but my personal experience that sometimes it isn't accurate enough, so I have to investigate in few cases. Check other models, read articles etc.

Edited by Marvy

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Either you can overthink something or try to do it without thinking of possible impacts. There is no middle way. For me. At least. Bounty was easy run, here I am facing with difficulties after after mistakes and after difficulties and after... I had two options: remove everything above deck (colums) and redesign the whole upper part or deliver something which can fit to existing set up. I have picked the second one. Anyway this is where Iam now.