Divers Discover 2nd Century Military Ship off Egypt

Interesting.  I wonder how long it will be before they finish the excavation and come up with a written product.

From the picture, the style and pattern of the internal frames appears the same as in the Sea of Galilee boat except closer together.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Thanks Grant, another great find.

I wonder if/when someone will write a new book on the development/transition of building techniques based on this new evidence coming to light.  With the many new finds in recent years, it would be great to see old texts updated to reflect the new material.  (.... and no, I couldn't do it as I do not have the right skill set :))  I often wonder when I pick up an older reference book, whether some of the material needs an update.  A simple check of te internet often is insufficient unless you know exactly where to look.   Many of the sites where the info is stored requires paid subscription, and one can only afford to pay subscriptions a limited number of sites unfortunately.

cheers

Pat 

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

On 7/21/2021 at 8:45 PM, druxey said:

Excellent find! This will help us understand early transitional building techniques better. Thanks for posting.

Just to say that Smithsonianmag.com is an excellent site; you can subscribe for free and receive a daily email with several story links. There is a vast range of topics and there's always a story of interest.

• 3 weeks later...

The third paragraph starts with "The ship’s design reflects a mixture of ancient Egyptian and Greek techniques. Its builders used mortise-and-tenon joints and constructed the vessel partly out of reused wood, suggesting that it was made in Egypt."

What about mortise-and-tenon joints or reused wood suggests Egypt?

Brett D.

On 7/22/2021 at 7:03 PM, BANYAN said:

I wonder if/when someone will write a new book on the development/transition of building techniques based on this new evidence coming to light.  With the many new finds in recent years, it would be great to see old texts updated to reflect the new material.  (.... and no, I couldn't do it as I do not have the right skill set :)) 

Are you familiar with J. Richard Steffy's book, "Wooden Ship Building and the Interpretation of Shipwrecks"? Perhaps that's one of the old texts that you refer to.

Brett D.

2 hours ago, Smile-n-Nod said:

The third paragraph starts with "The ship’s design reflects a mixture of ancient Egyptian and Greek techniques. Its builders used mortise-and-tenon joints and constructed the vessel partly out of reused wood, suggesting that it was made in Egypt."

What about mortise-and-tenon joints or reused wood suggests Egypt?

The "Sea of Galilee Boat" used M+T joints and definitely reused wood.  Not Egyptian.  That was just the practice in the eastert Med area.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)