Types of rigging line

SkiBee

I've just been using the rigging lines that come with my kits.  It appears that most of the lines are Nylon.

What are the different types of line?  I've heard of Cotton, Nylon and Polyester/Cotton blend.

What is the best type of line and why?

Current Projects:                                                                                          Completed Projects:

Phantom New York Pilot Boat - Model Shipways - 1:96                        Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack - Model Shipways - 1:24

18th Century Long Boat - Model Shipways - 1:48

Norwegian Sailing Pram - Model Shipways - 1:12

Lowell Grand Banks Dory - Model Shipways - 1:24

It's a matter of personal preference once you realize that model rope is what you want and not the stuff that usually comes in kits and looks pretty much like string, or thread.

Here is some of BenD's rope..

image.png.3450e478a0437935aa77f294ee7e7980.png

The different types will behave differently as far as flexibility and their ability to retain moisture..

Nylon is probably not a good idea IMO as it is generally more rigid and glossy..

I have come to prefer polyester and make my own rigging line.

Lot's of rope discussion here:

https://modelshipworld.com/forum/82-discussions-about-rope-making/

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

To take the discussion a bit further, archjofo makes rope from silk.

It looks good, but I wouldn't know about overall performance..

There has also been discussion about linen but it seems to be relatively expensive and hard to source..

It was Chuck's preferred thread at one time, and I believe the go-to standard for museums..

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

On 9/3/2021 at 8:05 AM, Gregory said:

To take the discussion a bit further, archjofo makes rope from silk.

There has also been discussion about linen but it seems to be relatively expensive and hard to source..

It was Chuck's preferred thread at one time, and I believe the go-to standard for museums..

Quality linen thread isn't being manufactured as much as it used to be and is indeed difficult to obtain today. However, interestingly, hemp is making a significant comeback in the fiber industries and, for all intents and purposes, is nearly indistinguishable from linen (flax) in it's properties. Hemp thread is now being produced and sold, and although it hasn't become widely available, it's becoming moreso. Look for it online. Amazon.com: Coats & Clark Extra Strong Upholstery Thread, 150-Yard, Hemp

Given that linen is unavailable, Chuck reports that at least one major museum has gone over to Gutermann's Mara polyester which they feel has acceptable archival qualities for use in rigging ship models. See: Gutermann Mara 100 Poly Wrapped Poly Core Thread - Tex 30 - WAWAK Sewing Supplies 

Anything other than these two aren't isn't being widely considered better for ship model rigging. Check Chuck's rope-making posts in the "More" section in the forum masthead. There are lots of discussions regarding thread to use for ropemaking. In any event, all the custom-made cordage for modeling is better by a long shot than anything any of the kit manufacturers I've seen are putting in their kits.

Edited by Bob Cleek