I am working on the HMS Bounty from DeAgostini and have found that I am short in supply on the planking. I am trying to figure out what kind of wood is used for this build so I can mill my own planks and finish the kit. The closest thing I have found to this wood is Light Red Meranti, but I am not very convinced that I am correct. The wood has light grain to it, sometimes it is speckled in places, it is difficult to bend, and difficult to get a clean edge even with a fine grit paper. When a clear poly is applied the very slight redness to it starts to come through. The pic below is the best I was able to do with my cheap phone camera. I will try to get a better one, but in the meantime was wondering if anyone has any ideas on what wood this may be?

IMG_0364.thumb.jpg.24729603115feaaf98c1894977b12021.jpg

Edited by tenderfoot

If you have not checked the Wood database  I can recommend it as a good source of information.

The wood you show could be Abeche, but it’s not clear from your picture.

I have no idea what the species in your photo is, but it looks like a poor choice for planking a ship model.  If you can remove the already applied planking of this stuff,  you should consider substituting the planking with a more appropriate species. 

Already milled planking in the same color range from Modeler's Sawmill would be Castelo or AYC.   If you can do you own milling, there are more choices.  Hard Maple, Beech, Birch,  or even Yellow Poplar if you choose carefully for the light color cuts - probably about 25% yield.  

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

7 hours ago, tenderfoot said:

HMS Bounty from DeAgostini

I had a small stash of this wood supplied by DeAgostini for planking, part of a box of spares I scored: it is dreadful wood.  

I suspect it is in the mahogany family. I realise this isn't what you want to hear if you are part way through the kit but there is no telling now what exact species DeAgostini used.

I will never use this wood so you are welcome to my stash ( I am in the UK ), PM if you feel it is worth the effort.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

4 hours ago, Jaager said:

I have no idea what the species in your photo is, but it looks like a poor choice for planking a ship model. 

That it is, indeed.

I have considered doing as you suggest and pulling off what I have already installed. I think it may be my best option although I do dread the thought. That's many hours of work down the drain. However, the more I think of it the more the idea appeals to me. I am not very happy with how this planking looks and going with a different wood will definitely improve the look of the model.

2 hours ago, bruce d said:

I had a small stash of this wood supplied by DeAgostini for planking, part of a box of spares I scored: it is dreadful wood.  

So true! It is absolutely awful to work with. Now that I have completed several strakes I find that I do not like how it looks either. I think I am going to go with the advice of Jaager and pull it off and start anew with a better wood.

That looks like the stuff that many outlets today pass off as “Mahogany.”  Coarse, stringy- nasty stuff.  No comparison to the real thing.  If you have a wood burning fireplace it might make good kindling.  If you can mill your own wood, living in Chicago you should be able to find a real lumberyard that can offer something much better.

Roger

2 hours ago, tenderfoot said:

. I think I am going to go with the advice of Jaager and pull it off and start anew with a better wood.

Very wise. 

🌻

STAY SAFE

current builds:

Why not check out one of MSW's newest sponsers?

http://www.modelerssawmill.com/

🌻

STAY SAFE

current builds:

I like 'true' Honduran mahogany - but it is harder to find these days and pricy at that.  One can obtain a plank by picking through what may be offered at 'Woodworkers' Supply' stores (they all have different, uncatalogued stuff in odd lots).  Then one can re-saw into planking stock of the desired thickness, with the desired grain orientation.  If used for ships that did not have painted hulls, no stain is needed.  Johnny

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

I've seen some pretty decent mahogany veneer..  Not cheap but not crazy either..

I like veneer for 2nd planking on double planked kits..   You can do some spilling and really fine tune your plank widths..

At Rockler for instance..

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

13 hours ago, Snug Harbor Johnny said:

I like 'true' Honduran mahogany - but it is harder to find these days

I have the seat panel of a piano stool and the hinged keyboard cover from the same piano. The family who were scrapping the piano know it was bought second-hand in the 1920's. There is no way to be sure but I suspect this wood is Honduran mahogany: whatever type of mahogany it really is, it is a pleasure to work with and can be brought to a beautiful surface finish. I am saving the long key cover for making a case (if I ever finish a model!).

🌻

STAY SAFE

current builds:

Thank you everyone for the helpful input. Based on this I have decided to forgo the provided planking and get some new, quality stuff from Modelers Sawmill. Visited the site yesterday and the pricing for milled planks is excellent, so made the decision to go that route much easier.

thanks again everyone!

Edited by tenderfoot