Greek ironclad Hydra 1889 by GeorgeKapas - 1/700 - waterline

A similar project to the cruiser Averof. Once again, the lack of detailed plans was a problem, which was alleviated by the small scale and the decision to make it waterline. There are almost no models of this class of ships outside the two in the museums here in Greece. I wanted to make one for some time now. Bizzare little battleships, with an unconventional layout which proves a bit of a challenge to recreate. In any case. Here are a few photos of what I am talking about: 

plan.jpg

Ύδρα 9.jpg

Ύδρα 8.jpg

A simple bread and butter technic with foamcore for the start. Unfortunately I did not take any photos in the first day... I encase the foamcore in paper. The scale is tiny anyway, so other than some core measurements and planing, my guide is the high resolution photos that I have of these ships. 

20210613_223313.jpg

20210613_223350b.jpg

The base is a simple seascape, as the ship will be, once again, anchored. Of course it is not attached to it, and I may change it alltogether later. In any case. The superstructure of the forward barbette and the masts are made of strips of plastic and melted spuce. I may use some ready boats from other 1/700 kits, but I am not sure.. 

20210824_171633.jpg

20210824_171651.jpg