17th century Venetian galley by GeorgeKapas - FINISHED - 1/350 - waterline

Evening! So I decided another small built is in order. I wanted to be thematic to the history of my hometown. The plan was of a diorama of a venetian galley exiting the port of Chania, circa 1640. 1/700 was very small, so I went for around 1/350. I used the plans of "La Dracene 1675" although I mixed and matched other earlier plans I had, after all, the waterline hull at 1/350 left little room for specific details. In any case, the galley was of the heavy 2 masted version or "Capitana" Unfortunately I ommited photographing many steps of the built. Also, although the ship it self is basically finished, I revised my initial plan to have it exiting the port, and quickly built a simpler sea-base. So technically it is not finished yet, as the original plan is still feasible. 

galera sxedio.jpg

The lower hull was easy enough, considering it is only a waterline model, and the galley has very little freeboard. It will be recessed into the base, and so only 2-3 milimiters of freeboard for the model. As for the materials, it is made mostly with card and thin plastic strips. I used my usual method for decking, drew planks in the PC, printed them in A4 black and white, and painted them. First with acrylics then with a coat of matte enamel. 

03.jpg

02.jpg

01.jpg

Edited by GeorgeKapas

As for the sails, I did a lot of tests... in the end, I used A4, drew the lines with pencil, and glued some strips of additional A4 on the edges and in the midle. Then it was painted with acrylics and coated with matte enamel varnish, just like the deck. The edge was lined with black thread. 

12.jpg

Unfortunatelly this was the last photo before the "finished" ship or at least the current state of the diorama. I made a simple base with only sea. The rigging is seen almost finished. I used thread and melted spruce as well, especially in the deadeyes, which were also made from scratch. The guns are from my stash. 

13.jpg

Beautiful work, especially at that scale!  Can't imagine trying to make those oars.  We've been to Chania and I remember lunching at one of the restaurants opposite the lighthouse on the breakwater. Lovely city and we had a great time on Crete!

<edit>  ps Also got up at the crack of dawn in Chania to go on the Samaria Gorge hike. Memorable experience too.

Edited by Ian_Grant

So for a test built it went fair enough. Many firsts for me, and many back and forths. A lot of improvement happened, and as usual, the next built will improve on the previous one. Here is on my hand for scale. I may revisit the thread if I make a new base as originally planed. 

30.jpg

Beautiful work and result.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

12 hours ago, amateur said:

That is a nice little model.

I know it is asking for the impossible, but in a diorama-setting, did you consider making 200 (?) oarsmen? From the foam in the sea you can see some rowing is going on, but the benches are empty...

Jan

300 oarsmen in fact  I dont know how I can do such a  thing without looking terrible, and without taking too much time..

Edited by GeorgeKapas

Perhaps each bench to be a single paper cutout of 5 men from the waist up? Their arms might be formed from notches to the paper bent at a 90 degree. I didn't like some tests of this though. But this reduces the pieces to be made to 60 "groups". In any case, I will have to return to her sooner or later, with the original base plan. Yes , the sea is soft paper with woodglue, painted with acrylics. This time I ommited glossing it, and it does look better more matte at this scale.

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulation George!

Excellent craftsmanship and  a very beautiful work...icon_exclaim.gif.3238a13901e299562ec7dc86fa5b5963.gif

Thx

• 3 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to 17th century Venetian galley by GeorgeKapas - FINISHED - 1/350 - waterline