Royal Louis by GeorgeKapas - Heller - 1/200 - PLASTIC

Greetings to everyone! This kit needs no introductions, as it is an old Heller, with many issues. In fact I have made, and/or attempted to kitbash this kit many times in the past. So basically the simple plan is this: repeat all the methods I used on the bomb ketch, with the experience and skill I got from that kit to the Royal Louis. 

The main issue this kit has, which had to be addressed is the horrendous wood grain that  covers the entire side of the ship. It is off scale, and actually shouldn't exist at all. Plus the over the top wales that had to be trimmed down as well. With these out of the way, some modifications are needed on the bow, like re positioning the holes of the anchor lines to a more conventional place, better staircases, knees to hold the upperdecks up etc. Trying to match the model in the Musee de la Marine perfectly is not my intend, chiefly because I don't like its color scheme. 

Here you can see the first difficult step: The entire ship has been sanded down, and every surface smoothed down. The wales were reduced as well. When planks need to show up, I'll draw them with pencil just like in the Bomb ketch.  

1.jpg

Thank you all. I'll omit all the intermediary steps and jump strait to the present. Took these today: The side ladders are added, the stern railings are new, some work on the bowsprit as well, I added some more details around the top most wale. A thin undercoat is getting applied as well.

20191130_215542.jpg

20191130_215519.jpg

20191130_215443.jpg

20191130_215638.jpg

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Sorry for the lack of updates. In fact the progress was substantial. I'll do my best to try and be more consistent. The project increased in scope, and along with parallel projects and various other issues this year, I shy from uploading. I made a large sea base for Louis.  I did not cut the hull or damage it, in fact I can remove her from the sea and display her properly in seconds. The diorama will show the ship anchored with yards lowered. As for the rest of the ship, yes, I draw and painted every single plank and pin by hand... Self inflicted torture it seems. 

2.jpg

1.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

The ship is looking beautiful! That water is also amazing! I know from trying to make rivers and lakes on my model railroad that getting color and wave patterns can be a nightmare sometimes but you did it very well. I like how you can remove the ship from the water as well to see the lower hull.

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

A little bit more work on the deck fitings, gratings rails and columns. Most parts still dry fitted. Also notice the ship is full hull, at the very least I am very pleased with how well she fits in the sea base without noticing it. Saved me the very unpleasant task of cutting her up. 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Hi George - do you have a pic of the Paris model that shows the circumstance you describe?  To have a working capstan on the forecastle deck does seem strange to me, as well, for a French ship of any rate or time.  My knowledge base is limited, though.  Any Boudriot references, anyone?

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

My Mamoli kit plans also show one on the forecastle, though it shows it on top of removable hatch covers which does not seem like a good idea as it would be a much weaker place on the deck for something that will be taking on a lot of pressure and torque. My plans also have the smoke funnels from the cook stoves piercing the covers as well. That makes some sense as in theory, the covers could be removed to service the galley easier when in port. 

I have not yet decided how I will handle the capstan yet. I suppose it could be used for lighter duty lifting such as ship's boats or even the grapples for the anchors to run them up the catheads. It could also be for extra manpower, providing yet another set of push bars to help in turning. Still, the location does seem odd...

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

• 1 year later...

Hi George - I hope all is well, and I would also love to see an update on this project.  One of my favorite things about this model is the way that you represented the nailing, above the waterline; at scale, this just looks fantastic!

BTW, in the interim, since last speaking about this subject - I have come to the conclusion that a forecastle capstan is, indeed, likely.  I am basing my observation on the allowance made, for such, on the Louis Quinze model at the Musee:

CDE827A8-5FF4-4FD6-A5E1-6D0471389E06.thumb.jpeg.dc2c32df3e6b0151edff9467238873fd.jpeg

The capstan pawls are clearly evident, as is the hole in the deck for the drum.  Admittedly, the inclusion of gratings without coamings is curious.

Edited by Hubac's Historian

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

My great thanks Hubac's Historian! Indeed an interesting observation about the capstan.  Maybe I'll just leave it as a deck hole, we'll see. I have been busy with modeling and I realized I haven't posted my latest scratchbuilt projects either... There were also many real life problems I had to attent to. More updates coming today! 

• 1 year later...