gunport lids rigging quick question ?

Can I assume the gunport cover apart from the two ropes on the upper side for opening the lid, the two rings on the inside should also have ropes running in through the gun port opening. It is just all the pictures on here show the rings with nothing attached?  well the pictures i have found dont... LOL

HMAV Bounty 'Billings' completed  

HMS Cheerful - Syren-Chuck' completed :)

Steam Pinnace 199 'Billings bashed' - completed

HMS Ledbury F30 --White Ensign -completed 😎

HMS Vanguard 'Victory models'-- completed :)

Bismarck Amati 1/200 --underway  👍

3 hours ago, Ian B said:

Can I assume the gunport cover apart from the two ropes on the upper side for opening the lid, the two rings on the inside should also have ropes running in through the gun port opening. It is just all the pictures on here show the rings with nothing attached?  well the pictures i have found dont... LOL

i dont think you would normally attach anything to them unless you want to secure the Gunports in a closed position, then you could run some rope through them or use any tackle you'd have at hand, wouldnt be attached however when the gun is in use and 99% of the Models show guns in firing or loading positions

Jacek

Current Build: HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models 1/64 

On Hold/Parallel: Lady Nelson - Amati/Victory Models 1/64

Ian, the number of ropes on a lid depends on the ship and era and possibly the size/wieght of the ports.  For opening, some had two rings and ropes that came to a single pulling rope, and of course many had two independent ropes for opening.  For closing some had one rope and ring, some had two.  The first photo is not too clear but you can see two ropes for opening and one ring for the closing.  I agree with Jacek that the inside rope would not be rigged when the port is open as it would be something else to get in the way of working the guns.  The first photo is blurry with zooming in but you can see a single ring for closing the port and two lines for opening.  

The second photo is pretty clear in that there is a single ring for the opening rope.

The third shows two rings for the rope to pull the port closed.

The last shows two rings and ropes made into a single going through the hull.

Lots of choices, depending on the ship.

Allan

DSC01198A.jpg.b42fe83f35cdc003d0274017df31a476.jpg

107938615_4thRate60Gun1705.JPG.205e8bce494c7e77a6556a85b8a4ff1f.JPG

DSC01289.thumb.JPG.33628695dae0131c06d9820e4c4629c7.JPG

368820255_Portlidveerope.thumb.jpg.6e0d96dc1455e44b891735eb9e7a0833.jpg

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Thank you for taking time to give me such comprehensive answers. Based on what you are saying I shall leave the lower rings empty as that is the right way-- I never knew :) As you can see she is just about ready to have them fitted..

ready for gunlids.jpg

34 minutes ago, Ian B said:

Thank you for taking time to give me such comprehensive answers. Based on what you are saying I shall leave the lower rings empty as that is the right way-- I never knew :) As you can see she is just about ready to have them fitted..

ready for gunlids.jpg

As long as you are showing the guns in the 'Ready to fire' position then yes, if they'd be stowed then i'd only add some kind of tackle

Jacek

Current Build: HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models 1/64 

On Hold/Parallel: Lady Nelson - Amati/Victory Models 1/64

Hello,

As an indication, on this bad picture, here is how the inner rings of the lids are used. An handspike is placed across the porthole and then a rope is tightly clamped between the rings and the handspike to close the porthole to the sea. This is the French method but I imagine the English did the same.

GD

20210923_092844.jpg.5f8d01257911fc2f2d6b2fbea363a6e9.jpg

42 minutes ago, G. Delacroix said:

Hello,

As an indication, on this bad picture, here is how the inner rings of the lids are used. An handspike is placed across the porthole and then a rope is tightly clamped between the rings and the handspike to close the porthole to the sea. This is the French method but I imagine the English did the same.

GD

20210923_092844.jpg.5f8d01257911fc2f2d6b2fbea363a6e9.jpg

Thanks-- never seen this before-- :)