Proxxon compound table KT 70

Hi,

Sometime ago I bought their compound X/Y table KT70 and now I am pondering whether I can mount on it their Proxxon machine vise MS4, and avoid these ungainly clamp jaws ?

I am unable to determine this based on my search, if the two are even compatible? Neither the net, nor the original instructions clearly state this.

Did anyone managed to do it?  How?

Thanks in advance!

Thomas

Edited by Dziadeczek

The short answer is no, it won't fit that table if you want all holes to fit in the table slots. However if you just use the two front or back holes using appropriate bolts and square nuts, it will fit one slot, although this might be a bit less stable. I have the MS4 vice, but I found it to be very poor for precision work and not suitable for the KT70, so I bought the excellent Proxxon PM40 precision steel vice (part 474981) which I use both on and off the table. This has exactly the same slot fixings as required for the KT70. It should cost around US$40 in the USA. I bought mine for round £35 seven or eight years ago, and it has remained my favourite small vice.

Good luck!

Tony

Edited by tkay11

Personally, I would prefer so-called tool-makers insert vices. They are also sold as EDM-vices and come in different jaw widths starting from 1" = 25 mm and with different capacities.

Here is a random picture from the Internet:

image.png.a80c44fad8d60b990dcd1eb21128d2cf.png

They have also notches on the top to clamp thin materials. Their jaws are pulled down while tightening them, so that there is no uplift of the moving jaw.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

46 minutes ago, druxey said:

Anyone have an opinion on a Primus 75 or Primus 100 machine vise?

2 problems:  -jaws parallelism?

-tightening pressure: it will be difficult to tighten hard by hand, so  a plier of some sort will have to be use and it will probably scratch the handle.

I have seen 2 good ones over the years: Unimat had one for the SL100 and GRS multi purpose vise.

I still have the Unimat one bought over 30 years ago. I modified a stand for the GRS so it can tilt in the 3 axes.

004-628_1-1W.jpg

Emco-Unimat-3-Mini-Lathe-Machine-Vise-Unimat.jpg

I have the 'Proxxon PM40 precision steel vice' that Tony mentions, on my MF70 micro milling machine. It seems quite precise and is extremely easy to use - a large plastic thumbwheel tightens the work piece in the vice jaws. Occasionally I wished the jaws would open another 2 or 3 mm but no big deal. It is bolted to the table.... the bolts can be a little fiddly to get in to place but again, not a big issue.

I also have a precision toolmakers insert vice (for a Sieg SX2P mill) that Wefalk mentioned. It is very easy to deploy, fitting inside the jaws of the larger vice already fitted to the table. It's minor drawback is that a separate tool (Allen key) is required to tighten it's jaws.

Both vices suit the type of machine they are designed for.

Thomas, for Proxxon equipment I wouldn't hesitate to get the Proxxon PM40, assuming it fits your table.

Richard

Well, this is a challenge also experienced machinists face constantly. One could put together a whole thread on this subject, but this has little to do with the question of the original poster.

Personally, I can resort to a wide range of workholding tooling for my watchmakers lathes/milling machines and in addition I used the machine tools to make more work-holding options.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

21 hours ago, Rik Thistle said:

Thomas, for Proxxon equipment I wouldn't hesitate to get the Proxxon PM40, assuming it fits your table

Agreed, for the reasons you and Tony  @tkay11 mention.

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

Thomas, I bought the PM40 a long time ago, and it is very much used.

You will like it!

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry