Paint for RC smit rotterdam

Hello

Building a smith Rotterdam wood kit with intention to make RC. I've used west systems epoxy to seal the hull.  I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for spray paint? Laquer paint be any good? Enamel? Brand's to buy/avoid. I'm guessing the paint needs to be as water tight as the epoxy so as not to flake or absorb water?

Cheers

You might do a search with the keyword "Radio" and use the "Titles Only" option.   There's quite a few here and some very knowledable builders.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Almost  any automotive spray paint should adhere to epoxy, and are tough as well. I have some 25 year old RC boats and all of them still have their original paint, even though I will admit to some wear and tear on some of the more abused areas of the ships. Years of storage on a cold basement caused MUCH more wear than years of running two or even three times a week sometimes.

Krylon Fusion like you find at hardware stores also does well especially if applied over a good primer.

Did you also apply cloth to the epoxy you used? If not then I would strongly recommend doing so, even if it is a very thin cloth. You will be amazed on just how much wear and tear a model ship endures in being transported and run.

Have any pictures of your build to date?

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

• 3 months later...
On 12/21/2021 at 7:26 AM, lmagna said:

Almost  any automotive spray paint should adhere to epoxy, and are tough as well. I have some 25 year old RC boats and all of them still have their original paint, even though I will admit to some wear and tear on some of the more abused areas of the ships. Years of storage on a cold basement caused MUCH more wear than years of running two or even three times a week sometimes.

Krylon Fusion like you find at hardware stores also does well especially if applied over a good primer.

Did you also apply cloth to the epoxy you used? If not then I would strongly recommend doing so, even if it is a very thin cloth. You will be amazed on just how much wear and tear a model ship endures in being transported and run.

Have any pictures of your build to date?

Sorry for the late reply. I went for an industrial outdoor matt spray paint in the end. Here are some pictures of my build so far.

The bridge interior pieces are just loose fit as I'm waiting to finish all the paint before gluing it into position. 

IMG_20211104_195444.jpg

IMG_20220202_230052.jpg

IMG_20220407_215955.jpg

IMG_20220407_215820.jpg

IMG_20220407_120123.jpg

IMG_20220407_215926.jpg

IMG_20220407_215915.jpg

IMG_20211130_205318.jpg

IMG_20211130_205417.jpg

2 hours ago, amateur said:

Is the interior of the bridge supplied by Billings, or did you make one yourself? 40 years ago the interior was a bit more 'basic' 

Jan

Hi Jan. No this kit is the old version so the interior is very basic. I have made my own interior based on photos I found online. 

It is made in a CAD program and 3D printed into pannels that I painted and will assemble into the bridge. 

I've added fiber optic wire to the main consoles as I'm going to light the control panels. I've tested this with everything lose fit and it seems to work quite nicely. 

2.jpg

1.jpg

IMG_20220409_132033.jpg

IMG_20220409_131951.jpg

IMG_20220409_132056.jpg

IMG_20211216_203756.jpg