Swift 1805 by Arthurajm - Artesania Latina - first build

Hi my name is Arthur and everything we go out to eat and I see these model ships I want to build one for a long time now and I finally got one I just don't know what tools I may need to help process and where to start any information would be widely appreciated I plan to start this in next few days I've done some research and know some things I may need but looking for any input from you experienced folks thanks in advance for reading and any input you have

Hi, Arthur. For recommendations on tools, check out this link. Also, take a moment to introduce yourself in the new members section -- we'd enjoy learning something about you.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2, Speeljacht

Hi Arthur,

Welcome to MSW! You’re first major step is done… you’ve got a ship and decided to do something you’ve thought about doing for a long time. Anything you could ever want to know about this hobby is here. 👍

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

Best thing you can do is keep this log updated with what you're doing and what questions you may have, that way people can give you direct advice. That, and browse the help sections here. There are some particularly good planking tutorials, and that's someone many beginners struggle with as it's not always intuitive. Good luck and stay active here!

Hey welcome and good to see another post of this model.

If you follow this link -> https://modelshipworld.com/tags/Swift/  you will get a list of all the builds tagged for this kit.  Lots of people have built it, some by the book (er kit), others with changes.

Tim

Current Build:  Swift Pilot Boat 1805 (AL)

On Deck: Triton Cross Section, Harvey (AL), Falcon US Coast Guard (AL), Flying Fish (Model Shipways)

• 3 months later...

I started this some time ago and have been off and on researching how to go about the planking of the hull and can't find the right way to go about it what board to lay next I'm really enjoying this hobby but the directions are not the best and I'm at an end I want to work on it but every time I hit a stand still any input or build logs that have a detailed description on the planking of the hull would be greatly appreciated any input is appreciated thank you for any thing you have to add as even the smallest thing is helpful. Just not sure what my next step is and I was making decent progress prior to it in my opinion as it's my first on many builds hopefully 

20220410_184300.jpg

20220410_184250.jpg

Arthur before you put yourself in A rough spot click on Articles Database at the top of the page, then scroll down to Framing and Planking. Everything you need to know short of how to fair the framing bulkheads is there to complete the hull. Swift is a great kit to start with, you'll learn all the basics and can have some fun along the way. 

Jim

Current Build: Fair American - Model Shipways

Awaiting Parts - Rattlesnake

On the Shelf - English Pinnace

18Th Century Longboat

I stand firmly against piracy!

1 hour ago, Arthurajm said:

but the directions are not the best

This is true of a few Artesania kits - but the good news is, there are a handful of Swift builds here on the forum.  In fact, these days I often only use the instructions as a guideline, and much of my builds are put together using a combination of build logs from here, and research.  

Good luck on the Swift - I always enjoyed that kit. So much in fact, I've built it twice.

Welcome! Fyi, I am also building the Swift. I noticed that you added the Keel prior to planking - this may have been purposeful. I did the same (I jumped ahead in the directions), but found that it made the shaping of the Garboard and associated planks a little more difficult. I bring it up simply for your awareness- it’s a fun little ship, and a great 1st model. I hope you enjoy your build!

Current Build: USS Constitution 1:76 Model Shipways MS 2040 

At Sea [Completed 2023]: 1805 Swift