HMS Victory by tomganc - DeAgostini - 1/84

On 3/23/2022 at 10:24 PM, tomganc said:

I've got a question to all fellow modellers as I'm bit stuck with mizzen yards rigging especially the crossjack yard. I can't find any decent pictures of models that have it done closest to the original. How many blocks does it have, I know it is attached to the mast with the sling but I'm not sure about main block used to lift it to its position.

Hi Tom.

Have you seen Gil Middletons build of the Vic?  And / or Longridges Nelsons Ships page 257/8 which goes into detail of how it is rigged and where the lines are run.  I can post some info pics from the book if you wish.

Cheers,

Bob

Bob

Current build Cutty Sark, Mini Mamoli

Finished  King of the Mississippi                     

No trees were harmed by this message, but an awful lot of electrons were put out.

2 hours ago, Bob Fraser said:

Hi Tom.

Have you seen Gil Middletons build of the Vic?  And / or Longridges Nelsons Ships page 257/8 which goes into detail of how it is rigged and where the lines are run.  I can post some info pics from the book if you wish.

Cheers,

Bob

Thanks for the reply. I will have a look straight away :)

I looked it the books and I was hoping to see the block which was used to pull the yard up before securing it in its place with the sling.

I will have a look through the build you've sent me and hopefully find all the naswers.

Big thanks again.

Regards

Tom

Current Builds:

HMS Victory by DeAgostini 1/84

HMS Victory Build

We don't stop playing because we grow old... we grow old because we stop playing...

Tom,

The rigging changed in 1805, so are you looking for prior to the change or at the time of Trafalgar?   MAYBE the rigging was not changed on Victory, but you have a choice.  Lees explains in detail how the footropes,  lifts and braces are rigged on the crossjack.  He goes into detail on the slings and trusses as well including mentioning that chain slings could be used from 1793 if requested.   Chain trusses came later, (1850)  

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Tom I continue to look through your build photos and continue to be so good impressed and amazed!  Your rigging work is absolutely beautiful!  The detail and preciseness is incredible. You should be so proud. There are so many examples that I keep looking back to, but two for sure is the way you rigged the shrouds to the deadeyes in post #20 and the rigging of the upper end of the shrouds in post #13. I did not do my deadeyes that way and so wish I had. That is incredible!  Keep up the good work. I am a fan. 

Edited by Bill97

• 4 weeks later...

Beautiful rigging Tom. You make me wish I had a go at making my own ropes on my Victory.  At that time I thought it is too much work, but I can see it is a rewarding process.  Keep it up.

Robert

• 1 year later...

Hi, Beautiful work! While I don't intend on making my own ropes (except for maybe some of the larger stays); I have taken a number of points of inspiration from your work. I'm almost finished the woodwork on this build so I'm looking forward to getting stuck into the rigging. 

If I may, where did you procure the little hooks at the top of your futtock shrouds? I'd very much like to incorporate something similar in my own build

Thanks,

Brian