Information Needed on Building Steering Mechanism for The Model "Spray"

Babyluca

Welcome to MSW!!! 

Maybe it's me but I thought this was a strange introduction to yourself for a first post which is the purpose of the new member forum.

Consider trying a search in the appropriate forums for this kind of information as you have questions down the road, you will probably get more responses.  The new member intro forum is probably not the best place for this kind of question. 

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Welcome to Model Ship World Babyluca.  I have moved your topic to an appropriate forum for your question.  You will probably get more answers to your question in this forum.  Please introduce yourself in the new member forum so that we can get to know you.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Hello and welcome to MSW!

I don’t know if this will give the information you seek, but here is a sketch from Slocums book first man alone around the world, showing the way the tiller arm and rope/blocks are rigged to the wheel.

DBF92077-7C98-4E53-AF16-6C3450D24B06.thumb.jpeg.6e0eab8eef3871b6ab4a03ad824a407b.jpeg

The text reads: Spray’s wheel, the dotted lines show the ropes used to tie the wheel when noone was at the helm.

I don’t know who made this sketch, but this seems like a way the steering would have been rigged.

Gaffrig.

Current builds Bluenose, Billing Boats

Lynx, Panart

Finished models Hannah ship in a bottle, Amati

Le Renard, Artesania Latina

Endeavour’s Longboat, Artesania Latina

Henriette Marie, Billing Boats

It has probably been 55+ years since I read Slocum's account and description of the Spray and I am not going to reread it right now! But I think that much of his description has stuck with me over the years in design, if not actual words.

My take on his method was that he re-rigged the Spray as a Yawl and either used the smaller after sail as a vane, or installed a "feather" or wind vane, and after setting the main sail used this system and rigged it to the helm.

The science and knowledge of vane sailing, while seemingly almost a lost art today, would have been well known to Slocum and the fact that he was mostly traveling along the trade routes with their consistent winds would make this type of hands off sailing very accurate. Simple answer to a simple question. At least to Slocum.

http://www.grovepondyachts.com/new-page

There are also sheet to tiller and Jib to tiller, self steering methods that he could have also used, but I am not as familiar with these methods and how accurate they may be over long stretches of sea.

Just my take on the matter YMMV.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey