HM Schooner Ballahoo by GGibson - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1:64

Appreciate the comment, Bob.  Still consider myself an "experienced beginner" and continuing to learn from all you other builders.

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                     Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways                   Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Santa Maria Caravelle 1:48 - Ships of Pavel Nikitin

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's been a busy few weeks working on the boom, gaffs, running rigging, etc.  Cut the dowels to be used for the boom and gaffs to the appropriate lengths and shaped them in order to fit snugly in the jaws.  They shaped pretty well and looked nice when painted.  Attached most of the blocks for the throat halyards and peak halyards on both gaffs (but did not attach the blocks to the masts until the rigging had been threaded through the blocks to make it easier).

221029-Boom_Gaff_Shaping.jpg.bb16e8561a7cb3d9f7661e8430328b98.jpg    221029-BackStayCloseup.jpg.2deff0007701c6cca8bf3eb3afd2db31.jpg

As several other builders mentioned in their build logs, I placed a small wooden saddle/tack on the mast at the base of the boom to help support it.  That helped a lot in holding it in place better.  The two gaffs didn't seem to need a saddle, as the throat halyards kept them in place.  Pulled out the 4-Hands again to help me hold the gaffs in their general location as I completed tying down the mast blocks and tightening all of the running rigging. Was even surprised how well the parrel beads went around the masts.  Thought I'd have them all over the floor before I was done.

221029-AftGaff-4Hands.jpg.8f6f1c430fee42607614880f1b510306.jpg    221029-ForeMastGaff-4Hands.jpg.167f07a452cec67e85172f39e95d770b.jpg

Once that was done, I made a couple more rope coils to hang on the belaying pins that the backstays came down to.  Still need to learn how to do a better job at those hanging rope coils.  Also, placed the two hand pumps in place, as well as the tiller arm, which I had left off during construction to avoid snagging any of them and breaking.  Also place the anchors on port and starboard sides and ran anchor cables to their deck holes.  (What are those holes actually called?)

So..... my version of the Ballahoo is now complete!  Lots of things I wish I had done better, and many techniques I need to get a lot better at, but all-in-all still proud of what I accomplished. 

221029-Finished4.jpg.fda808cc6e47cf848ee6f50a7cec3114.jpg     221029-Finished5.jpg.93f5d7afef154f0531ebdf812cdfcbc5.jpg

221029-Finished6.jpg.c62cad8d2e54b424d81c71714b2e439d.jpg  221029-Finished7.jpg.b84022d6d34abe5517797170338a7582.jpg

221029-Finished8.jpg.965940b9337e529603c4799b9f2ec1da.jpg

221029-Finished1.jpg.464192f4d0060f613bc0a4ae889a6f22.jpg    221029-Finished2.jpg.f1b01bd374baa8ff37eea71a99b731a8.jpg

This is my 3rd ship I have now completed in my brief model shipbuilding post-retirement hobby, and am so grateful for the comments, likes and feedback I received in this build log, as well as a million kudos to those who had previous Ballahoo build logs that I was able to constantly refer back to.  Special thanks to both @jim_smits and @egkb, whose logs were most helpful and both provided me with private feedback on questions I had.  This MSW community is awesome.  Thanks to all.

Edited by GGibson

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                     Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways                   Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Santa Maria Caravelle 1:48 - Ships of Pavel Nikitin

Crackin' Good Ballahoo There Gregg !  don't forget to pop a link here to your next build so we can follow along there too (it's so easy to miss brilliant build logs otherwise)

All The Best

Eamonn

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄