Something different-infra red

So just as a quirky item.  I’ve converted several of my digital to IR, and works amazingly with the reflected light off foliage, and reproducing strange colours from man made materials.  So I wondered what would happen with the ships.  So far weather has not been great in the UK so not much sunshine to help with the images, but I’ve fired off a few of a Duchess of Kingston build that I’m doing, and my scratch build Seine Purser that I’m struggling to finish.  Once weather improves I’ll do a lot more “just to see”.  Most noticeable with the ones below are the polyester threads I’ve used in various places.  All still a work in progress as are the ships.  

BD43127E-BD73-4B4E-B48F-4BF60A8005BB.jpeg

F0F43F8E-6FDD-46A6-8994-F26EED04C558.jpeg

F9904A9C-C051-40AF-A5AA-A2F6D2A5B18C.jpeg

E7A85417-80F5-4F69-88FD-6312FD4D54CB.jpeg

08F629DE-A994-450A-8BF6-2C9A541D8880.jpeg

Not sure what you are actually doing there - colourising/filtering your images in an image processing software with a filter that makes them look like IR images?

True IR images would actually be B/W, as IR is not visible. So the software filter just transposes certain colours and deletes others.

Edited by wefalck

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

1 hour ago, wefalck said:

Not sure what you are actually doing there - colourising/filtering your images in an image processing software with a filter that makes them look like IR images?

True IR images would actually be B/W, as IR is not visible. So the software filter just transposes certain colours and deletes others.

If I recall correctly from my film days, IR film required refrigeration also.  And yes, B/W only.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

... and you can't use normal optics with glass-lenses, they absorb too much long-wave radiation. Not sure that is still done, but 'traditionally' lenses made from salt were used, I believe. What do they use in night-vision optics? Or may be the modern photomultipliers are so much more sensitive than old IR-films.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

IR Film requires filters to eliminate unwanted parts of the light spectrum.

Current night vision technology depends on the different parts of the IR spectrum.

And is accomplished with sensors that respond to the IR spectrum.

Higher quality  images depend on better optics but glass is not a problem in itself.

There is thermal IR, emitted by an object and  IR that is reflected off an object. Near infra-red and mid Infra-red..

How Night Vision Works

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

We use IR photography at work in our technical documentation.   We use a converted digital Nikon D800, which has had its its internal filtering removed and is thus made "full spectrum."  We also MUST use older glass lenses without the modern treatment layers found on newer lenses.   Halogen lighting sources and an IR filter over the lens.  All images are B/W.   There is such a thing as false-color infrared photography, in which spectral wavelengths are mapped across RGB values.   As such, you can achieve a "color" IR photograph.  Whether or not that is being used in the photo above, I dont know.

Edited by Justin P.