HMAV Bounty by fifthace - Caldercraft - 1:64

Greetings folks.

It's been a while since I last battled with timber, I got lost in plastic, but I decided I wanted to return to wood. Having learned new skills and improved on existing ones, I felt I could probably do a better job than my previous efforts.

And to start with, I wanted to right a wrong on the last ship I completed, HMAV Bounty.

001.thumb.png.bc27eca7a2369edba9313a51f653a09e.png

On the last one there were a number of errors, most glaringly was the main rubbing strake. It sweeps too low, way too low, at the bow, and it's annoyed me for years. Plus I enjoyed the kit last time, it was a good quality kit with only one minor issue: the length of the centre section of the keel is a few mm too short. Wasn't a problem last time as I coppered the hull as per the kit, I am not planning on doing that this time as it is subject to a lot of doubt as to whether she received that upgrade before leaving Portsmouth (or was it Plymouth?) for the last time.

I also invested in some new tools that I didn't have before, and a proper slipway rather than a home made one. Following the general consensus on here I was directed to the Model Shipways one, which I have to say is pretty good. My only gripe with it is it's designed for ships that have the keel already attached, so at the moment it isn't easy to get it to sit level, but that's not an issue at this stage anyway.

003.thumb.png.2d5ac02ac045b27d1a09ad98863fe8c1.png

I also wanted to try a better method of the hard sanding work, using my Dremel and the sanding discs attachement ezclic thingy, and I have to say it makes that job soooo much easier.

007.thumb.png.656adfa477146fe5fb156c9fcbc404b4.png

Anyway, so far I have got the keel/bulkheads assembled, false deck fitted and the majority of the fairing done on the bulkheads. Time to soak some planks and work on the bit I hate the most, planking the hull...

002.thumb.png.c42554b4e9e72c052a97dcc3aa27cff6.png

004.thumb.png.57333571ff72c12246eae7096a0e23d3.png

005.thumb.png.76f350abb8fb9d48e8b73cac77283551.png

Thanks for stopping by...

------------------------------------

Regards,

Dominic

Current Build: HMAV Bounty by Caldercraft 1:64

Good luck with the build.

Although I am not building the Caldercraft version of the Bounty, I am building the another version.

Feel free to stop by for a look!

I'll be watching along as you go.

Lyle

"The only thing that stays the same is the constant state of change"

Completed Builds:

Occre HMS Terror - https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2065-hms-terror-occre/

NRG Half Hull Project - https://modelshipworld.com/topic/23546-half-hull-project-by-lylek1-nrg/

1:130 1847 Harvey - https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2125-1847-baltimore-clipper-harvey-1130-scale/

Scott Miller's Sea of Galilee Boat https://modelshipworld.com/topic/29007-sea-of-galilee-boat-by-se-miller-120-scale-lylek1/

In progress:

Artesania Latina HMS Bounty - https://modelshipworld.com/topic/26817-hms-bounty-by-lylek1-artesania-latina-148-scale/

Waiting for dry-dock space:

Model Shipways - USS Constitution

Master Korbel - Cannon Jolle 1801

A Scratch build -TBD

Thanks.

I was looking at the AL version, but as it's been a while I went with what I knew. I may do the AL one next...

I try to avoid looking at others' logs as I always end up envious of the sheer skills of some people lol, and I was right, you've done a fab job on that.

Regards,

Dominic

9 hours ago, fifthace said:

Thanks.

I was looking at the AL version, but as it's been a while I went with what I knew. I may do the AL one next...

I try to avoid looking at others' logs as I always end up envious of the sheer skills of some people lol, and I was right, you've done a fab job on that.

I certainly wasn't trying to make anyone envious!

I'm always learning, just like you!

Thanks for the kind comment, though.

Lyle

Completed Builds:

Occre HMS Terror - https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2065-hms-terror-occre/

NRG Half Hull Project - https://modelshipworld.com/topic/23546-half-hull-project-by-lylek1-nrg/

1:130 1847 Harvey - https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2125-1847-baltimore-clipper-harvey-1130-scale/

Scott Miller's Sea of Galilee Boat https://modelshipworld.com/topic/29007-sea-of-galilee-boat-by-se-miller-120-scale-lylek1/

In progress:

Artesania Latina HMS Bounty - https://modelshipworld.com/topic/26817-hms-bounty-by-lylek1-artesania-latina-148-scale/

A Scratch build -TBD

Morning folks.

Made a start on the first planking.

Not bad for a days work considering it's been a good 5 years or so since I have done anything like this.

Had one minor issue at the bow, one side the first top plank had slipped down without me noticing, so I had to add a new piece above it to bring it back in line. Not sure how all the other planks below still remained in line with the other side though, not complaining however.

008.thumb.png.613396ee4b7ca6988fb6dc4e69c3015a.png

009.thumb.png.d3a5471092b58402bc8af0cb8cf90ed2.png

010.thumb.png.eabccbe3c38dcfbc9672488828e7f141.png

Regards,

Dominic

Andrew, 

Thank you for posting these sites.  On the first is a photo of the nails along what looks like a two pence piece.   The two pence is 1.04" diameter and the nails look to be right at or very close to 0.25" diameter (with 0.5" heads).  This confirms information from Goodwin's Construction and Fitting of the English Man of War.  Anyone coppering Bounty or any other ship should take note of this as the stuff in the kits seen here at MSW has huge pimples  or etched circles that are, at scale, closer to 2" in diameter, or larger,  instead of tiny dents.  Those that have made their own with copper tape and  attention is paid to these tiny nail indentations do a better job than the kit makers.    

Thanks again for the links.

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

44 minutes ago, AJohnson said:

Hi,

Regarding the copper plating, I thought that issue was resolved long ago, as they have been pulling copper plates out the resting place of Bounty in Pitcairn for years?  (A quick search on the web got me these links in a few minutes.)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/ahistoryoftheworld/objects/v8RrCz_SRtCcGn6qcOQXsA

https://yesterdaysisland.com/artifact-wreck-bounty/

Thanks, I'd never come across either of those articles when I was looking into it 5 or 6 years ago, and obviously didn't bother looking into it at all this time around.

Guess I will be coppering her then lol

Regards,

Dominic

Well, greetings after a very long abscence!!! Good to find you back again. I shall be watching you!!! 

What actually is the dremel sandy thingy that you have found. It look good and I might want one too.

Current build : Gorch Fock Occre

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

18 hours ago, Mike Dowling said:

Well, greetings after a very long abscence!!! Good to find you back again. I shall be watching you!!! 

What actually is the dremel sandy thingy that you have found. It look good and I might want one too.

Wow, hello indeed Mike.

I mean these, the Dremel Madrell attachment and EZ SpeedClic sanding discs, with the flexible attachment.
(I was going to post a couple of pics from B&Q but I didn't have permission, so here is the link instead)

HERE

Regards,

Dominic

Many thanks for the link. I found the mandrell attachment and the discs but not the flexible attachment. Help!!

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

No, not that bit! The bit behind the sanding discs.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

14 hours ago, Mike Dowling said:

No, not that bit! The bit behind the sanding discs.

So, the mandrel then? I thought you said you'd found that?

This gold and silver part that the disc clips into? Search for "dremel mandrel"
image.png.3ea138883708dcf9d1b7f8a4309272e9.png

Regards,

Dominic

No matey! I am now guessing that there is some king of attachment on one side of the sanding discs?

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

On 3/5/2022 at 1:40 PM, Mike Dowling said:

No matey! I am now guessing that there is some king of attachment on one side of the sanding discs?

Ahhh, riiight, now I am with you.

Yes, the disc you buy are purposely made by Dremel for the ezclic system, and have a metal lug on the underside.

Regards,

Dominic

I am making a god awful effort on this first planking, I was much more out of practice than I realised. It's like I forgot everything I learned.

However, I know where I went wrong, this is the first planking so doesn't matter so much, as long as the contours and general shape is right, which it is, and it's smooth, which it will be, I can make sure I get it right with the second layer.

Anyway, for shame, here is the monstrosity I have created thus far...

011.thumb.png.9deaad756638b96bb0e324786d0b4c36.png

012.thumb.png.feb24bff5cba294ae4cee024106ac0b7.png

Regards,

Dominic

It's not that bad!! I remember when I first started how encouraging you were to me and it's no worse than mine was.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Greetings.

So, 1st planking is finished. Wasn't as much as a chore as I remember, despite me breaking just about every rule there is when it comes to planking. It's done nonetheless, and won't be visible after anyway. It's solid, smooth and the correct shape which is the main thing.

Initial planking:

013.thumb.png.8b2fc3242757405e2d38890fb7c8ce3f.png

014.thumb.png.e820d49e68d23c5f18287e04cd50d7b7.png

After basic sanding:

015.thumb.png.e45d62cb09203bfaee85af042b26837c.png

016.thumb.png.8116259b3f04fe41ea04d9182adad34d.png

And after filling and further sanding:

017.thumb.png.f6d55329193c24ea19924fe188da3168.png

018.thumb.png.f618d45a6d2da7f4b702e39ddfc5601b.png

I also planked the transom, rather than use the walnut false piece:

019.thumb.png.baab0e4b9e100b7fecac2f4630cc8168.png

And finally, I added a filler to correct Caldercraft's short cut on the false deck, so it butts up directly to the stern gallery piece:

020.thumb.png.b48b6c546c9fe2d756949572b33bcdb2.png

My next task is to try and work out the correct shift pattern for the second planking. Caldercraft just says to plank in full length. I did that last time and I didn't like the result.

I am not having much luck working out what the shift pattern is however, any info would be appreciated...

Thanks

Regards,

Dominic

Morning.

I've made a start on the second planking. Had a few issues with things I forgot to do/didn't know how to do, but thanks to some help on here I think I am back on course.

Garboard was too far forward. I didn't know how to edge bend planks (which I now do). Not the greatest job in the world compared to some who have been doing this for years, but certainly an improvement for me.

021.png

022.png

023.png

024.png

025.png

Regards,

Dominic

Hello.

Very quick update. Second planking is finished, now time to sand it and try and make it look like I didn't do such a half assed job on it haha.

2 Drops at the bow, 3 at the stern.

026.thumb.png.67f8c191f82094d5d08feb1df1d92e9a.png

027.thumb.png.2768239df53c61d2423973ca40cb0e70.png

028.thumb.png.6168b1fe6703e51a18500811762582cb.png

029.thumb.png.b98544a4cea0baeb0758e74a04a2f16b.png

030.thumb.png.96dfca4eed8543799aa8d4359fd06fd3.png

Regards,

Dominic

Update:

I decided in the end to go with a white hull rather than copper it, although that remains an option for the moment. I had a battle with the white. For some reason I had half a dozen individual planks on each side seeming to leach colour through, despite being sealed beforehand. After a few coats of white I decided to use an automotive grey primer first and voila! No more leaching.

Well, until I started with the white again anyway and there it was, old friend came back. In the end it took 6 light coats with an airbrush to get it to cover properly.

I managed to get the main wale into the right place this time, although the yellow ochre trim has ended up slightly lower at the stern on one side, but nothing I can't fix later.

I stained the upper section with walnut as the colour had faded with all the sanding and it was very light beige.

Just a couple of minor waterline issues to fix at the bow.

031.png

032.png

033.png

034.png

Regards,

Dominic

Really nice work!

Lyle

Completed Builds:

In progress:

A Scratch build -TBD

Hello.

Main deck now done. I know in reality the deck planks would have most likely been laid in one single length, but I like the look of a 4 shift pattern.

I used a graphite pencil for the simulated caulking, and after sanding smooth with various grades, I sealed it using a rattlecan Halfords Clear Lacquer which soaked into the wood, bringing out the grain and leaving it butter smooth.

Why did I use a lacquer? Because it works. (This is where someone tells me it will look ok now but in 10 years time will turn purple with yellow spots lol)

I will still polish with beeswax as soon as it arrives, once I ascertain if I will still be able to use adhesive for the deck furniture as not sure how that works.
I also have some Danish Oil on order for a future build.

035.png

036.png

037.png

Regards,

Dominic

Very good, you certainly have not lost your touch!

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

You ship is looking very good Sir! Thanks for the clear lacquer tip for the decks, I might do that. I really like your paint collection. Question; how old is some of that paint and how long do you think the shelf life is?

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

1 hour ago, Dave_E said:

You ship is looking very good Sir! Thanks for the clear lacquer tip for the decks, I might do that. I really like your paint collection. Question; how old is some of that paint and how long do you think the shelf life is?

Thanks

Most of it is Tamiya. They are a few years old now and are fine. I airbrush 90% of the time anyway so I just thin as needed, but I haven't noticed any of it thicken up with time.

The few Admiralty paints you can see in the background of my last post are a good 5 years old now, and they are all still perfect.

Regards,

Dominic

6 hours ago, fifthace said:

Hello.

Main deck now done. I know in reality the deck planks would have most likely been laid in one single length, but I like the look of a 4 shift pattern.

I'm fairly certain the decks was laid in a similar pattern to what you have done! 

Looks good!

Lyle

Completed Builds:

In progress:

A Scratch build -TBD