rigging to the French parrel, late XVIII C.

Does anybody have a good illustration, perhaps a picture or a drawing showing the exact way of rigging to the French parrel for my 74 gun ship model?

J. Boudriot in his vol. 3, page 160 doesn't explain this very clearly and his drawings, being very small and sketchy, don't show the parrel-ropes exactly how they should run.

At least, I am not getting it...

It looks like this triple row truck-and-rib parrels (identical for both topsail yards, the Fore and the Main) differ quite a lot in their rigging from English practices and, frankly, to me, don't make much sense. I am not seeing, for example, their falls explained, how they run and how this parrel was loosened and tightened?

Any help will be very appreciated.

Thomas

Thomas,

If you have it, check Frolich's The Art of Ship Modeling.  He has a large chapter on masting and rigging and it looks like he has some info on the parrels on the masts.   I hope it what's you're looking for.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you Mark, for your post. Yes, I have the book you mentioned. Before I wrote my question, I checked it. Among many details of rigging explained by Mr. Frolich, I unfortunately did not find sufficient explanation on their parrel.

I need something like this, a drawing or a photo, showing where the lines (ropes) go. See post # 187

Unfortunately it shows a Dutch parrel, and a double one too. Perhaps the French one was similar, I don't know.

And Mr. Boudriot doesn't show this detail in sufficiently clear way...

Thanks again, Mark!

Regards,

Thomas

Edited by Dziadeczek

I wish I had a better answer than that, Thomas.  I also looked through "Fitting and Rigging of a 74-gun Model Ship" (Ancre) and also "Model Ship Building Dockyard Style" also by ANCRE.   They seem to be rather overlooked in these books or I somehow missed it any reference.  

You might try a PM to @G. Delacroix as I'm sure he would know.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hello,

I can make some scans from 'Modeles historiques. Museé de la Marine", vol. I and II, but this is not really necessary. If you have the third volume of Boudriot's "The Seventy-Four Gun Ship", you will find all the information there.

In addition to the drawings (in the French version, Fig. 296 and 297), find a detailed description of this detail (next to Fig. 295 in the French version). In short, the ends of the parrel-ropes are just wounded two or three times around the yard and permanently fixed in front of it, with no possibility of (quick) loosening or tightening.

Cheers

Edited by Waldemar

Hi Waldemar,

That was exactly my understanding (English version of the book shows exactly the same), but I wanted for someone else to confirm it.

I did exactly, like you suggested. Wrapped the parrel rope ends twice around the yard and tied them together crossing them in front of it. No falls whatsoever.

Still, I am doubtful that they did not have a possibility to loosen/tighten it somewhat, when necessary...

Thanks again!

Thomas

topsail parrel1.jpg

topsail parrel2.jpg

Edited by Dziadeczek

My pleasure. Boudriot's description of this detail is taken almost verbatim from "Encyclopédie methodique. Marine" (1783) and "Traité pratique du gréement des vaisseaux et autres batiments de mer" by M. Lescallier (1791), so it is unlikely to be his imagination. Besides, the fixed nature of this fitting on French ships' top yards is also confirmed by historic models in the Maritime Museum in Paris.

So, I think you may be quite sure of it...

Edited by Waldemar