ORCA by Cap'n Rat Fink - 1/12 - RADIO

Hello my Friends, yahoo_big_grin.gif
Since my new job assignments has left me with very little time for research and building, I have decided to do a "FUN BUILD" , since I like to build more then research.
I have decided to venture into the realm of "REMOTE CONTROL" boating. Since I know nothing of R/C'n I am getting myself into a lot of trouble here. Scratch building the boat will be easy. It's the R/C stuff that will be a pain. My kids have been bugging me to build one so I have decided to build "THE ORCA" from one of my most favorite movies...."JAWS". Once completed i already have another R/C boat waiting in th wings to be built.
As for the Orca there is plenty of information on the WWW to pull from plus all the info I have on hand to assist me with the construction of the boat. My objective is as usual to make even a fictitious boat as accurately and realistic as possible of a world famous boat. The only part that might not have any detail will be the inside of the cabin. the reason is because the motor shell reside in the cabin area. If it sits low enough then you can bet your boots I will detail out the cabin. In the R/C world I have found out that the Orca is one popular R/C boat to build. So mine has to be detailed out to the max and make it my own.
Why the Orca, because it was the very first time my brother, cousin and I had to wait in line to watch this movie way back in 1975. Jaws was the first ever movie that bore the name of a "SUMMER BLOCKBUSTER". Another was I'm from Southern California and the beach go hand and hand in my area. But after watching that movie i really did not miss the beach too much that year. Ah what goes on inside a kids mind after watching that movie....HAHA!
The plans mention the boat being built completely out of Balsa. Well I do not like or care for balsa so I will be going with Basswood. The deck may be built from Teak wood. I hope to add as I go along a lot of "FACTS" and "FUN FACTS" about the boat and the movie.

HELP WANTED.... yahoo_surprise.gifyahoo_at_wits_end.gifyahoo_hypnotized.gif
SINCE I KNOW NOTHING OF R/C RUNNING SYSTEMS I HOPE SOME OF YOU OUT THERE CAN ASSIST ME WITH THAT PORTION OF THE BUILD. MY OBJECTIVE IS TO DO A VERY DETAILED BUILD OF THE CONSTRUCTION OF THE BOAT....PLUS A DETAILED CONSTRUCTION OF THE RUNNING GEAR SO OTHERS CAN USE BUILD LOG FOR THEIR R/C BUILDS THAT ARE BEGGINERS IN THE FIELD OF R/C'n AS I AM.....

The next update will be when the hull is complete. So it may be a bit depending again on my workload at my job, as to how much time I have to play.....So talk to you all real soon I hope and "HAPPY MODELING.

1376354895_1925_FT0_orca01_.jpg

1376354895_1925_FT0_orca02_.jpg

1376354895_1925_FT0_orca03_.jpg

1376354895_1925_FT0_orca04_.jpg

1376354896_1925_FT0_orca05.jpg

Thank You all...

Mario

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

BETTEAU WAR OF 1812     BOUNTY LAUNCH(bashed)    CHESAPEAKE BAY FLATTIE

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

LADY KATHRINE 1812 SCHOONER

Cool, Mario.   Do what you need to do.  We'll be here patiently waiting. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Mario,

I just found your build log and am glad you are back building!  Hate it when work gets in the way of really important stuff. :)

Looking forward to following your build!!  I know it's going to be great.

John

future build: to finish Mary Rose

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/8507-mary-rose-by-tarbrush-scale-172-1545/?hl=%2Bmary+%2Brose

completed builds:  Constructo Steam Launch Louise

Mario,

Just found this thread and I'm pulling up a chair.  With your background, RC should be easy.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Hey I got a day off today....

Hi Qwerty,

The Minnow! Wow that is back in my day when I was a kid. So young man like you knows the Minnow. I do have plans on that one too.

But have you ever heard or seen the Vrolijkhied??? It's from the movie "Father Goose"....Now you other guys John, mark, John, and Bob you have to know. !964 staring Gary Grant and Leslie Caron. When I first saw the movie .....OH BOY DID LASLIE CARON STIR MY BLOOD A BIT. But I was lucky to get passed that and noticed the lovely cruiser in the movie. That will the next r/c build.

But when I'm away on the job I still will be research my Rattlesnake cross section I will be doing. I want it highly detailed so since a cross section and detailed 1/32 sounds about right and I will give it to one of my kids or a museum if nobody wants it. Because I like building but do you notice you hardly ever pay attention to them once they are just sitting there....haha!!!

But back to the orca. should add updates at the end of the month.................Later my buddies

OOOPS FORGOT THE PICTURE.....THE VROLIJKHIED

post-1053-0-54753900-1376854342.jpg

Edited by Cap'n Rat Fink

Thank You all...

Mario

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

I remember "Father Goose"....  there was a boat in that movie? :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Yup Mark,

i just forgot to addthe picture. Its there now...........................

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

• 1 year later...

I just ordered a set of these plans. 'JAWS' is my absolute favorite film ever, seen it a thousand times probably. I've never scratch-built before, but have always wanted a scale replica of Quint's ship, so I'll definitely be cutting my scratch-building teeth on that one once I get around to actually building it. 

Current build: Minicraft 1/350 Titanic - aftermarket PE Brass details from Tomsmodelworks and GMM  and wood deck from Scaledecks

On The Shelf: Revell 1/96 U.S.S Constitution (1976 issued kit) - aftermarket wood deck from Scaledecks

Revell Germany 1/350 Battleship Bismarck

AL San Francisco II

Blackbeard's Queen Anne's Revenge (modified from AL HMS Endeavour Bark 1768 kit)

1:14 Capt. Quint's ORCA from JAWS (scratch-built static project from R/C Model plans)

Way in the Future: Trumpeter 1/200 Battleship U.S.S. Arizona

Trumpeter 1/200 Battleship U.S.S. Missouri