Best Way to Tighten Loose Ratlines

Hi Glomar,

I had the same issues when I started. This is what worked for me… as you start the next knot on the next shroud, keep things pulled tighter. Before you know it, you’ll be noticing they’re to tight. Practice. 👍😀

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

I've seen that in every ratline I've done.   I gave up on using beeswas. Instead, I do my ratlines like you've done.  Then when all done, go over them with 50/50 mix of white glue and water to shape and add the uniform sag and "lock" the knots.   Now there is a catch.... I've only used cotton fibers not the man-made fiber so I doubt if this work if you're using man-made fiber rope.

Edit... due to a cross posting.... Dave is also right about shortening up the ratlines.  Don't pull too much to the point where it pulls the shroud out of line.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

To prevent 'hourglassing' the shrouds due to over-tightening ratlines, do every fifth ratline first, then every third and lastly the remaining ones. It's easier to control the tension that way.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

I know this may not translate well without a diagram, but if you notice when tying a clove hitch one end exits above or below the starting end depending on which way you cross the bight. If you alternate the way you tie each clove hitch such that between each shroud the lead of the clove hitches are top to top or bottom to bottom you my be able to avoid the tendency of forming that sine wave shape between the shrouds.

Regards,

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

When I am tying knots in things like rat lines where I need to control the length of spans between knots I use this technique:

First I tie a knot at one end of the line - and pull it tight.

Next I tie the second knot but leave it loose. Then I use a needle or similar thin tool (fid) to move the loop of the knot back and forth along the line until it is in the correct position. Then I pull it tight around the end of the fid and slip the fid out at the last moment. This prevents the knot from wandering as I pull it tight.

The third knot (and subsequent knots) are formed the same way. I leave a little excess line past the last knot in case I have to reposition it.

If you need to reposition one of the knots you can loosen it with the fid and move it. When you pull it tight again the overall length of the line and positions of the other knots will be the same.

After all of the ratlines are finished I apply a suitable glue, paint or shellac to lock everything in place. Then I trim the line ends.