Vasa By 72Nova - FINISHED - Airfix - PLASTIC

Good day Michael,

Looks nice!

Are You planning to show fish davit from sbs prepaired for anchor fishing? I saw that You shown anchor from this side is in ready position for fishing but fish davit still secured on deck/ not rolled out ?

It could be interesting... I think author of S. A. model shown ps anchor catting process in progress and not yet completed... which is always interesting to see such details on the model..it initiates mind thinking process ...whats going on here ?!:)))

SOTS 1637 https://cloud.mail.ru/public/za1C/j55UJkF7K

Screenshot_20230702_230620_Gallery.jpg

Edited by kirill4

As seems to me, spritsail sheet pendants should pass outside foremast shrouds not inside...when spritsail in working position and we left them pass inside fore shrouds, than there will be more risk to tearing them off ? But here I m not 100 % sure... Duyfken replica shown then passes inside after first a few shrouds where it passes outside... old dutch pictures always shown them passes outside... I think it mostly depends on of practical implementation... most probably with such long hull as Vasa , they will pass outside of shrouds...?

Kalmar Nykel replica has them all passes outside...same as on the old dutch pictures... noted that on this picture , KN has cat block dismantled... only ring stopper rope?...21189480595_fe6d135167_k.thumb.jpg.2ac9e761206b8bf8af2e15549d3a8983.jpg

8084885536_9e2e71fd96_k.jpg

Edited by kirill4

Thank You, thank You Ferrus Manus, all OK ... your galleon looks very good ! :)

You are correct Kirill on the SB anchor, awaiting deployment  of the fish Davit is my intention,  maybe in practice  it would already be in place?, but clearly the crew had too much rum and are moving slowly 😉

My initial  plan was to run the spritsail pendants outside of the shrouds but the Bativia shows them inside so I chose that routing, now I'll  need to taker a closer  look to see if they pass outside after a few shrouds, if they do I can that adjustment since the whips have not been rigged yet.  Thanks for your insight👍

Michael D

As I know, Batavia didn't have too much sailing practice... couple or even one short sailing voyage if Im not mistaken, to be solid/active rigging refrence... but KN replica has a lot... and,  as we could see, all Van de Velde drawings shown them always outside shrouds...:rolleyes:

Do You have photo of Batavia under sails...? It would be interesting to see them...long time ago  I saw only one photo of Batavia replica under sail...

On that picture, difficult to say how they are passing... clear seen leading block for spritsail pendant attached to the fore shrouds, but fore chanels obstructs vewing of details...do You have another photo? But I would say they passes outside ,same as on the Velde drawings...

And yes, more SA detailed photo? Never seen such close look of this beautiful model!

4e6cfc07b2aeda10cfb4094ec9fcdf27.jpg

Edited by kirill4

The above discussion on ways to have the anchors stowed are very helpful, as I'll eventually have to deal with the issue on my presently side-lined project.

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

Hi Kirill,

Here's another photo and I do not see the sheet pendant outside of the shrouds, again this is not under sail but then again neither is the Vasa.

Here's a link of the Sophia Amalia Marc.  www.modelships.de/Museums_and_replicas/Orlogsmuseet_Copenhagen/Sophia_Amalia.htm

Michael D.

the-batavia-replica-again-juergen-hess.j

I would greatly appreciate it if you guys would come hang out at my Galleon build. Maybe we could throw a party on the deck! @72Nova (my name is also Michael) Your work is only eclipsed by the one and only Kirill. It genuinely looks so much larger than it really is, which makes it all the more impressive. To be honest, your ropework is absolutely incredible. You two would make an amazing duo, and i have much to learn from you. 

Good day Michael,

Thank You for the Batavia picture and SA link!:) found some new photo which I didn't have before...

Good day Kirill,

Fred Hockers explanation is interesting regarding a single cat-block which I can easily change but the bigger challenge will be adding the cleats he mentions on the beam as I already have the kevels for the fore tacks attached to the backside of it close to the knees, assuming this is where the cleats would be,  I suppose I could add the cleats on the topside of the beam directly over the cathead ?

Michael D.

After looking it over there's really only one or two places for those cleats, on top of the beam or on the front side of it, which I highly doubt, time to roll up the sleeves and revisit the anchors.

Michael D.

Good day Michael,

for me it was very interesting moment when he mentioned that cat block was single sheave ?!!!  frankly speaking  I didn't think about cleats  position... is this Vasa forum still active? if Yes, we could ask Fred H / directly... in the past He gives very prompt answer ... 

Last I checked it was fairly quiet, might be one or two posts this year but none from Fred in quite awhile, the new beam obviously does not show any cleats, perhaps part of the original survived showing some signs of a cleat for him to mention that specific location? at any rate that's really the only logical place to put it for the fall to function properly as there's no room on the back side of that beam with the knee just about in line with the cathead. Thanks for pointing that out Kirill.

Michael D.

The redo of the port anchor is completed.

I used styrene to form a buck the size of the 1/8" single sheave block to form the band and to hold it steady while drilling the hole for the hook.

20230705-154733.jpg

Once that was completed it was put into the vise and a hole was drilled into the block prior to installing the hook, using .28 ga brass wire, I used line as a gauge to get maximum dept for gluing the hook without blocking the sheave.

20230705-161223.jpg

I used the same method for making the cleats as I do the deadeyes, this is approx 1/8" wide.

20230705-162712.jpg

I used the outside sheave of the cathead for the fall and the inside sheave for the ring stopper rope and both are tied off at the cleat that is attached to the top of the beam, all in all it came out ok for a delicate operation.

20230705-174605.jpg

As always thanks for stopping by.

Michael D.

Нi Michael!  It turned out great!  And from a historical point of view and craftsmanship!  I hope Fred H. was not mistaken about the single pulley cat block ... :)))

How Did You positioned cleats for ring stopper and anchor gear ? Along timber or across?... :))) as seems to me , it should be along... but it is diffucult to see on the photo...

Hi Kirill,

Again there must of been some convincing evidence that a single cathead block was used?, I like many others have always seen triple and double cathead blocks whether it be in paintings, models etc.

I glued the cleat to the top of the beam running parallel/along with it. Thanks for likes and compliments gentlemen.

Michael D.

I have it pictured in post #206, between the two hatches almost as far aft as the fore channel. That's a possibility since this setup is obviously lacking in velocity ratio and mechanical advantage, plus the tackle is rove to disadvantage with the fall starting from the cathead instead of the block.

Michael D.

Hello, I would venture to suggest that the use of a single-pulley cat block in this case may well be ... these are auxiliary devices for fixing anchors along the stowed ... and not for lifting an anchor from the water where much more significant effort was needed ... cat  the beam and its hoists could be armed in the same way as the fish beam, and there, too, a single-pulley block was used, roughly speaking, as a guide, and the necessary effort was achieved by arming additional hoists that were attached to the fish hoist lopar ...

Some information could found here - John Harland "Seamanship in the age of sail" and John McKay "SOTS 1637" 

DSCN6980.thumb.JPG.042840457da512088ab11d769d883c11.jpeg.jpg

DSCN6981.thumb.JPG.82f072bc1bdd89b8e7d700686ca8c0af.jpeg.jpg

Edited by kirill4

I ve just posted a few pictures... selfexplaining process...capstan could be used any time when it would be necessary together with aux tackles...John Harland in his  "Seamanship in the age of sail" gives exelent explanation of the process...I have nothing to add here :)))

I've try to reproduce anchor " fishing"  picture from John McKay "SOTS 1637" ( on my model)

Edited by kirill4

58 minutes ago, Ferrus Manus said:

Your capstan is quite well constructed. Should i thank you for that, or Airfix? It seems that even at a 6:1 mechanical advantage, the capstan would be needed. These anchors weighed several tons apiece. 

It's a heavily modified airfix piece.

Michael D. 

The Fore mast rigging is just about completed with the exception of the braces and the fore course sheets to be done at a later stage. At this point the starboard buntlines, clew and tack are rigged and started the ratlines.

Michael D.

20230707-144202.jpg20230707-123248.jpg