Thermopylae by ScottRC - Revell - 1:96 - PLASTIC - RESTORATION

You're doing fine ... take all the time you need, which is my own style.  I have an early, well-molded version of this kit up on the shelf for some future time (or perhaps to end-up with someone else when I'm gone), and have long thought on what eventual approach could be done with it.  The Czech-made laser-engraved wooden deck topper was added to the box, as I've never been happy trying to paint plastic to look like wood - yet some have done pretty well doing just that.  And starting with an unbuilt kit does not have the limitations imposed on restoring a previously built model, as you are doing.

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

18 minutes ago, Snug Harbor Johnny said:

[...]

I have an early, well-molded version of this kit up on the shelf

[...]

I'm jealous. I've been looking for one of those early Revell Thermopylae kits. I think I've found one, we'll see when it arrives.

As with yourself, there's no telling when I'll get around to building it... my Cutty Sark will be a year or better before it is done and then I'll probably start another.

Scott, I'll be following your restoration with great interest. Best of luck!

On 8/24/2023 at 10:41 AM, Snug Harbor Johnny said:

You're doing fine ... take all the time you need, which is my own style.  I have an early, well-molded version of this kit up on the shelf for some future time (or perhaps to end-up with someone else when I'm gone), and have long thought on what eventual approach could be done with it.  The Czech-made laser-engraved wooden deck topper was added to the box, as I've never been happy trying to paint plastic to look like wood - yet some have done pretty well doing just that.  And starting with an unbuilt kit does not have the limitations imposed on restoring a previously built model, as you are doing.

Because the decals have rotted off the model, I picked up the photo etched nameplates and they look really good. I also got the flag set they offered.  Anything to dress her up a little bit more.  

Current Builds:  Revell 1:96 Thermopylae Restoration

Revell 1:96 Constitution COMPLETED

Aeropiccola HMS Endeavor IN ORDINARY

Planned Builds: Scientific Sea Witch

Marine Models USF Essex

On 8/24/2023 at 11:00 AM, VitusBering said:

I'm jealous. I've been looking for one of those early Revell Thermopylae kits. I think I've found one, we'll see when it arrives.

As with yourself, there's no telling when I'll get around to building it... my Cutty Sark will be a year or better before it is done and then I'll probably start another.

Scott, I'll be following your restoration with great interest. Best of luck!

Thank you, I have been lurking on your build and its keeping me motivated.  

Marine Models USF Essex

• 3 months later...

Weather and a mild case of Covid kept me indoors so I sat down and did some work on this project.  I completed the bowsprit and dolphin striker rig.  Now starting on the lifts, braces, and then shrouds.

WiTKp4.jpg

kqwRRH.jpg

Its not pretty, the fingers and eyes are out of practice with my threading and knot tying.  But that is what this project is about.

6wEQUi.jpg

Marine Models USF Essex

Debated until the cows came home on whether to use the pre-molded shrouds or make them up, but time and budget overruled and I'm using the ones off the kit.  

ubwBb1.jpgIgqqyI.jpg

Edited by ScottRC

Marine Models USF Essex

Rigging the bowsprit and dolphin striker are far more challenging than any aspect of rigging the mast, IMHO. Very nicely done, Scott.  

Scott,

I began building that model when I was I was twelve, finished it when I was 13 (1960...whew!), then won a

1st place trophy with it the next year at a USNR model contest. Amazingly, it's still intact. I just dusted it off

last month and all of the masts and spars are in excellent condition, perhaps because for many years the

ship was stored in a wooden crate during my many moves around the country. I'm happy that you're restoring

yours and hope that one of our sons will someday treasure mine as well.

Best Regards,

Gary

Thermopylae.jpg

She looks splendid Gary.  

Marine Models USF Essex