Lobster Boat by Christopher Janki - BlueJacket Shipcrafters

Looks like you are off to a great start!  I'll follow along....built this kit 6 or 7 years ago.  If you have not seen the thread with the review of this kit by @Cathead you might find it useful.  However, as mentioned in that thread, Bluejacket was possibly going to update the kit so maybe some issues have been fixed.

Edit: Fix the link to point to the top of the review, not the negative comment from another user.

Edited by gsdpic

- Gary

Current Build: Artesania Latina Sopwith Camel

Completed Builds: Blue Jacket America 1/48th  Annapolis Wherry

Hi Christopher,

I have been working on this kit for a couple of months.  I am planking now, and I will try to get my act together and start a build log.  I have encountered a few issues, same as you.  The kit has indeed been revised since a recent log (apparently abandoned) and it may be something of a work in progress.  The cockpit sole didn't match up exactly to the frames and had to be shaped and trimmed a bit.  As you discovered, the cockpit sides left a gap to the subdeck.

1780751667_DSCF7908(800x600).jpg.2691dd84a2b8d16092071843f9196d06.jpg

I addressed this by adding a coaming made from 1/8" square stock, which is shown on the plans:

525488526_DSCF7911(800x600).jpg.ce9893ca16013eca97863397f5754d62.jpg

Unfortunately, the top edge of the coaming is not of even height above the subdeck over its length, but I'll live with that.

When I started planking, it seemed to me that the supplied laser-cut garboard strakes were not long enough - but this may be a misconception on my part of how the planking should work at the bow.  In any case, I used four individual 1/4" strips instead, which means I will need to order more of those strips.  Also, I added a stealer at the stern below the shear strake.

1158717485_DSCF7920(800x600).jpg.27e78d321c35673acedfd66b6e672ff3.jpg

I will follow your build with interest, and get my own log started.

Andrew Bodge

Finished:  Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack (Midwest / Model Shipways)

Finished: Maine Lobster Boat (BlueJacket)

Finished: Yankee Hero (BlueJacket)

Finished: Emma C. Berry (Model Shipways)

Finished: Northeaster Dory (Chesapeake Light Craft)

Finished: Schooner Bowdoin (BlueJacket)

Finished: US Revenue Cutter "Joe Lane" (Marine Models)

Missing and presumed lost: Friendship Sloop (Laughing Whale)

Planking is underway.  This is definitely my weakest part of the build.  I've one planked one other boat so I'm very skeptical of my technique.  I ran out glue so I had to stop for the night. I use the thin and medium cyanoacrylate and the insta-set spray.  I like it and think it works great.   If anyone has any thoughts I'd love to hear them.  I do glue my fingers together often! 

20221026_203723.jpg

20221026_204107.jpg

I think that using cyanoacrylate glue is for the planking is just fine especially since you'll be painting the hull which will cover up any stains. You have to be much more methodic and careful when you use it for planking a hull that will be not be painted.

I like to use medium viscosity for planking by applying just a small dot of glue to a few bulkhead at a time while laying down a plank starting from the bow and working carefully towards the stern. I shape the plank until it lays down quite naturally along the bulkheads and fits tight against the previous plank before beginning to glue it down. Be sure to have some cyanoacrylate Uncure on hand to unstick your fingers! 

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

9 hours ago, BobG said:

Be sure to have some cyanoacrylate Uncure on hand to unstick your fingers! 

Trouble: You have so much dried glue on your finger you can't use your fingerprint to unlock your phone.

Real trouble: You glue your finger to your phone.

Christopher, looks like you got the laser-cut garboard plank to work well. 

Andrew Bodge

Just now completing my first build so I don’t always know what mistakes I made and corrected vs potential kit challenges. For the cabin one problem I encountered you can see “16b” cross support where the holes were not aligned AND the cabin sides didn’t line up. I didn’t catch and don’t know how that happened since the cabin sides are well marked where to attach. The “16A” was supposed to be the front of the cabin however the shape etc didn’t fit and I used in the stern as shown where I didn’t see a solution in the kit. A few major things to deal with however she is coming together well. 7D8396B2-9EFB-4CB4-8A7F-ACC63EFC63C9.thumb.jpeg.4b7018e45fcd6f214635409b961a7130.jpegAB57F150-05C5-4595-8CB2-221E5C67ECE6.thumb.jpeg.df9c54fbcfcbe46d2d4581aa3f41f9b5.jpeg06C845DE-5B0E-45F0-A654-A38132864D0F.thumb.jpeg.2e3c7b690b7aeb02a35821135d499b84.jpeg5ABC58EB-86F6-48D5-B302-781AAA19D87E.thumb.jpeg.34dc5047da1696700c6219ec784b47a0.jpeg8608FFD7-EA02-4A9A-9B9C-66A377BE0D3F.thumb.jpeg.c1906a55ace8235abbe8a210be90467f.jpeg8608FFD7-EA02-4A9A-9B9C-66A377BE0D3F.thumb.jpeg.c1906a55ace8235abbe8a210be90467f.jpeg

I finished planking the hull.  I used some hobby lite wood filer to help close any small gaps and smoth out the hull a little.  I this works very well.  I just need to do a little more sanding tonight.  I noticed a very small bulge on the left side of the hull at the 5th bulk head.  The hull looks fine from the naked eye but if I really exam it I can see it.  Any tips on how to catch this before planking is 90% done? Or am I just being to picky?

20221113_132959.jpg

20221113_133037.jpg

20221113_133346.jpg

20 hours ago, Christopher Janki said:

I just need to do a little more sanding tonight.  I noticed a very small bulge on the left side of the hull at the 5th bulk head.  The hull looks fine from the naked eye but if I really exam it I can see it.  Any tips on how to catch this before planking is 90% done?

Before beginning planking, take some planking strips and lay them across the bulkheads, then sight down them to spot any bulges or hollows. It's called "fairing"

Nic

• 3 weeks later...

Hull is primed!  I spent a lot of time filling gaps and any spots I felt needed with hobby lite wood filler and then sanding, sanding, and more sanding.  I studied the plans and reviewed build trends to get an idea of how I wanted to put the cabin together.  It's coming alone good.  

20221130_194146.jpg

20221130_213151.jpg

20221130_213204.jpg

Edited by Christopher Janki

Well with my kids winter activities in full mode finding time to work on the boat is getting hard! I've put about 5 coats of white paint down before I glued the roof on.  I trimmed the sides flush with the cabin and filled any gaps with wood puddy.  After that drys I'll sand some more and paint again. 

20221208_212007.jpg

I'm getting ready for finishing details, I'm planing on painting the primary color a Nantucket blue.   I want your thought!!! I'm thinking the hull all blue with a white line at the water line and then a bottom color a black or red.  I'm also debating if I should paint the cabin roof and top of the cover the same blue, or leave it white.  Any thoughts or ideas are welcome. In the mean time I'll work on the pots and live wells. 

20221211_124135.jpg

Looking good!   So I guess Nantucket blue is sort of a blue-gray color...I had to google it.  I think that is a good choice.  As for what to paint, it sounds like you are thinking about a scheme similar to what cathead had in his kit review linked above, except with the blue in place of the green.   I think that scheme looks good, but you can double check the review yourself to see what you think.

- Gary

Current Build: Artesania Latina Sopwith Camel

Completed Builds: Blue Jacket America 1/48th  Annapolis Wherry

That's a very nice blue and will look good with the other colors.  I looked at lots of photos of lobster boats and there's plenty of variation, so you can't go wrong.  I'm using a fairly bright Kelly green on the roofs and the rub rail.  A lot of boats use the same color on the deck but I think that would be overpowering in this case, so I've painted the deck gray.  White hull above the waterline, red-brown below, and a black waterline. 

Andrew Bodge

It is looking so nice 👍! Well done.

Jim 

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea, Model Shipways Mayflower 

Completed Builds: NRG Half Hull Project  

Model Shipways 18th Century Armed Longboat

Dumas 1954 Chris Craft 36' Commander

Dumas 1940 Chris Craft 19' Barrel Back

Very nice and congratulations! I'm sure he's going to love it!!! Merry Christmas.

Jim 

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea, Model Shipways Mayflower 

Completed Builds: NRG Half Hull Project  

Model Shipways 18th Century Armed Longboat

Dumas 1954 Chris Craft 36' Commander

Dumas 1940 Chris Craft 19' Barrel Back