King of the Mississippi by thomas jr - Artesania Latina

This is not a fun kit now  There are 2 versions of this kit  Unfortunately for me I have the new version ref number 20515 the wood is much thinner  there no book to go by now it all on a DVD no printed to tell what size wood to use or goes where .its just   all Pictures this will not fun for me I will do the best I can I might need help if anyone is doing this  Version of this kit ref 20515 for now I did get some work done to it here are some pic 20221031_163346.thumb.jpg.5909f83de0f300dbb9ce31ba98f7373d.jpg20221031_163444.thumb.jpg.277cefde132d73a96fa33f6040df2ef1.jpg20221031_163416.thumb.jpg.0fe8cef22a3f8c4ebb831dce0b29927d.jpg

I just bought this kit also, you have to download the pdf files. It gives part numbers also pictures for directions. Yes I think that it was a poor decision on their part to do this. If you have any troubles message me I will help the best I can. Im a little further and have the planking on the hull done, have to move to the transom and sides.

1 minute ago, RobMann79 said:

I just bought this kit also, you have to download the pdf files. It gives part numbers also pictures for directions. Yes I think that it was a poor decision on their part to do this. If you have any troubles message me I will help the best I can. Im a little further and have the planking on the hull done, have to move to the transom and sides.

Here is a link to the instructions and parts list if you have not found the yet, happy building lol.

https://artesanialatina.net/en/ships-intermediate/62095-renewed-king-mississippi-ii-steamboat-wooden-model-ship-kit-1-80-8437021128055.html#attachments

I completed this kit a while back.It builds into a very nice model. I obviously had the version with instructions. Unfortunately I no longer have them. But at least you can download them. Unfortunately a lot of kits are going that way. Both wooden and plastic. Which spoils it for anyone buying a kit who does not have access to a PC or smart phone. 

I painted my model rather than leaving it with bare wood. What you have done so far looks good. Will follow your log with interest.

In work

Amati-rms-titanic-1912-1250

Unfinished kit

Revell Container-ship-colombo-express

Finished

AL -  King of the Mississippi

AL-Sanson

HI there.

I'd like to follow along too. I've the older kit, partially completed on the shelf at the moment for about 18 months due to life!

I do still have the printed papers if you need a help.

Major differences are the photo-etch brass, the bow stairs to the upper level (changed from spiral to straight / spiral - much easier!) and the paddle axle has more spacing.

There are several other builds completed on this site - just ask if you have questions everyone is very helpful!

Edit.

Just seen the pictorial instructions for this version, and they are much better than the original ones!

Cheers,

Bob

Edited by Bob Fraser

Bob

Current build Cutty Sark, Mini Mamoli

Finished  King of the Mississippi                     

No trees were harmed by this message, but an awful lot of electrons were put out.

There are lots of build logs for this on MSW, so hopefully you can supplement the instructions by reading some.

Looking good!.

Just dug my old instructions out - it used to be a thin ply wall covered by 0.5mm thick walnut planking that splintered everywhere.

Bob

No trees were harmed by this message, but an awful lot of electrons were put out.

This is a fun kit to build. I particularly liked imagining life on the boat while assembling it. For me, adding period-appropriate figurines at the end of the build really enhanced the finished model.

Since the kit is not supplied with walnut planking in the new version, you might consider painting the hull, as these types of boats were almost certainly always painted. Your call, though!

• 1 month later...

Hi Thomas.

It looks like it doesn't it!

Took me a while to find this as the newer instructions are diferent to mine. 

Are you using the motorising kit? Even if not don't glue the plate on just yet!

The backplate is made up and held in place with elastic bands (page 77) to help with the positioning of the upper deck, uprights and fencing.

It's not glued into place just yet because it needs to be removed complete a future stage more easily.

Look ahead to page 228 section 34 in the instructions where it details the paddle making and attching process.

There aren't any locating lugs for the backplate for a reason - the paddlearms go through the outside slots and a rubber band through the inside one on the left to attach to the motor.

See pages 234 and 235.

If you're not using the motor then the inner slot can be planked over.

Bob

• 5 months later...

Ok this is where iam now on my kit so far  I'm getting the beams on the side the top deck is now in place The top deck was really warped so I tried to take some of it out I got some out at the front that still got a bit too high The staircase should be in place but I've had a real hard time getting that photo edge rail to stick to the wood I tried a poxy and it still popped apart The staircase should be in place but I've had a real hard time getting that photo edge rail to stick to the wood I tried  epoxy glue and it still popped apart here are some pic If anybody has any idea how to glue that photo edge Rail to the wood could you please let me know  For the spiral staircase at the front

20230521_204931.jpg

20230521_204926.jpg

20230520_125110.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

look'in really good Thomas!  I also have a log going on this model.......I'm at the railing stage too,  before I tabled it.  one thought I had was to cut the top and lower parts of the railings to length and come up with some way to slot them,  so the photo etch fills would have something to sit in.  I haven't had the time to try it,  but I would imagine that the slot wouldn't need to be too deep.......all I think it needs is a guide ;)   the spiral stairs were a trial as well,  but I managed to get 'em done.  I hope to pull it back out one of these days..........

I also have parts for the Roberet E. Lee,  but that is going to be a total rework project ;) 

I didn't run into the problem you seem to be having at the moment,  but if your not going to motorize it,  you can simply cover it over.   keep it up.....you doing great!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch