A friend was helping a client with some renovation which included re-doing a few windows. He noticed that the old frames were some kind of tropical hardwood and has given me some. When you cut it, it's the colour of fresh raw liver! almost purplish. Here's a jpeg. - doesn't do it  justice.wood_zpsf2e303b9.jpg

This ample is about 20mm wide. It's quite hard but I cut a thin strip on my  trust proxxon and itsq' uite flexible as well. You wouldn't want to do a deck out of it but for decorative stuff... Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Fraser

Thanks. I had originally thought Sapele, except the colour was so intense. Purple heart was a thought too, But it's use in window frames... Utile looks too light in the pics I've found on Google...there are so many tropical timbers, and of course Portugal, where I live, has strong ties with Brazil...

Fraser,

Does the color go all the way through the wood?  It almost looks like a stain to my eyes.   But then, I need new glasses. :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Bear in mind, the photo is rather larger than life, in a small section it's rather less than Mahogony, but garish! Might be good for a case or a base.

Cocobolo has a much wilder grain. I think the answer is to take it up to a neighbouring village, Cancela where there is a hardwood importer...has lovely wood but doesn't sell much to the general public, unless you can buy a few cubic meters!

F

It sems Padouck (or Paduc, Paduca, Padouk). It's an African wood used for furnitures or high quality wooden details. Time ago I bought a piece of it but it's difficult to use for shipmodellers because of its little holes in the texture.

Cheers

Alex

If any of you cry at my funeral, I'll never speak to you again! (Stan Laurel)

Hi Fraser, as long as this item is not stained, then it appears to be purpleheart.  When newly cut, it is bright purple.  It is hard, dense and heavy, with high crushing, stiffness and bending properties.  Other names include amarante, guarabu morado, nazzaeno pau roxo, saka, tananeo and violetwood.  Spirit finishes tend to remove the purple color; lacquer retains it. 

The other suggestions, while good, appear to miss the purple color.  Padauks come from the Andaman Islands, Burma and Africa and have a more red brown color.  When these are freshly cut, they have brighter initial coloring, especially the orange of the African variety.  Cocobolo has more red and a strong figure.  Sapele resembles mahogany and its heartwood is pink when freshly cut, but darkens to a red brown or purple brown on exposure.

There may be a better suggestion.               Duffer

Either meranti or sapelle

Norman

Norman

Current build Trumpeter Arizona 1:200 with White Ensign PE and a Nautilus Wooden Deck.

Built Caldercraft Convulsion, HM Brig Badger and HMS Snake.

Awaiting - Zvelda HMS Dreadnought planning to get the Pontos Deck and PE Upgrades, Panart 1:23 Gun deck model and couple of the cannon kits Manatu - French siege mortar, and American coastal cannon.

Purple heart. The giveaway is that after a year or two it turns brown  When you cut it it turns purple again. I recently made the coamings on my Triton

X-section from this wood. Photos can be deceiving but I put my money on purple heart.

marius

HMS TRITON cross section marius

:) Thanks for all the responses! With such a range of tropical hardwoods kicking about, it really is difficult. I haven't had a chance to get out to our local hardwood importer to get his opinion yet. It certainly cuts down to 1mm  on my Proxxon and with the smooth blade the cut side is nearly black from the heat of cutting,

F

• 3 weeks later...