USS Constitution by Hipexec - FINISHED - Constructo - 1:82

Karl,

The plank cutter can be purchased on line from E-bay.

Sam,

Lining up the pins was easy. Obviously I marked where the channel should go, then rough marked a spot on the hull as well as the channel for the pins (2 each), then set the pins in the channel with Crazy Glue to prevent them slipping into the channel instead of the hull., Then touched the mounted pins onto the exact spot on the hull and made a mark, then drilled holes exactly on those spots...bingo the channel slides right in with a few taps of the hammer. If I can do it...anybody can.

I just looked at that last photo.... I have a lot of cleaning up to do on my ship. There's glue all over the place.

Steps look fantastic Rich.

I have a lot of clean up to do as well. I take consolation in the fact that our camera's and head magnifier's will be much more discerning than the un-aided eye when the build is under glass. Nice work.

Rich,

Great job.

You would think I could do something like what you described , in my head that's exactly how I would approach it. I don't recall what it was I was doing, but it didn't work for me so that's when I did the M&T joint. That's the great thing about hobbies like this, doesn't matter how you get there, it's the end result that matters.

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Like they say....whatever it takes! You're right...the camera and lens makes the ship look worse than it looks to my eye.

I completely agree, with macro lens all the defects appear more clearly than the reality you see at plain sight  !!  :o  :D  :o  :D

Saludos

Port & starboard steps have all been glued on. I lined them up with a piece of masking tape with the space markings penciled on. That's as good as I can do with my fat & shaky fingers.

post-4214-0-92687700-1398440893_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hipexec

Say what you might about your fingers, but the steps look great. Very evenly spaced and all in a nice line.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Anybody know where I can get an nice eagle for the transom? The one provided by Constraucto is pretty lame. I want a 3D one with about 3/4 inch wingspan and 3/8 inch high.

post-4214-0-79314700-1398469031_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-77572600-1398469048_thumb.jpg

Rich, I have to agree with you on the eagle. I think the closest thing to that scale would be the one from the MS kit. It looks as though it's 1" x 3/8" and isn't that highly detailed either, but it is three dimensional and includes the shield. You may be able to obtain one from Model Expo.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Hola Rich, folowing the idea of SRC, I once made the replacement of a little piece carving first in gypsium or "plastilina" (playing dough?) and then filling the mold with "Plastiacero" (the filling compound used in mechanics) that can be machined, and painted very easy.

post-797-0-27526000-1398530332.jpg

Saludos, Karl

Edited by Karleop

This time Constructo did a great job of providing a detailed scale drawing of the roundhouse sides. All I had to do is make each plank to the drawing and cut two (one port, one starboard). Who needs pre-cut parts when you have detailed instructions and scale drawings. Now I still have to wait for Constructo to mail me the 2mm x 2mm Ayous trim for the roundhouse sides. I'll sand them to fit when the trim arrives.

post-4214-0-70376800-1398550948_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hipexec

Thanks Kevin, but it's too big. I found a dollhouse eagle that will fit with some minor cutting. I only have 1/4 inch in height to play with. They're shipping me two eagles so I can adjust them and if I screw up, I can make the second one fit. But, I keep surfing the web looking for the perfect Eagle, still. 

I can't find your build log on this site?

Edited by Hipexec

Constructo calls for me to give my ship its first coat of poly. Constructo didn't say it in their instructions, but I could see the change in the photos, so I e-mailed Constructo and they e-mailed back to give it its first coat but to be mindful of the areas that still needed gluing. I masked the critical areas and will sand the other smaller spots when the time comes.

post-4214-0-67870900-1398617046_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-84043900-1398617058_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-93274200-1398617071_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-21945100-1398617084_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-14706000-1398617097_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-22863300-1398617109_thumb.jpg

Your ship is looking great and so do those windows! What glue you used for them?

Markku

Current build:

MS - USS Constitution 1:76

Previous builds:

Corel - Flattie 1:25
AL - Mare Nostrum 1:35
Revell - Dom Fernando II e Gloria 1:200

Revell - USS Enterprise 1:720

Trumpeter - USS California 1:700

Port gallery windows went in fairly well. I need to work some more on the starboard windows and the aft windows have to be done over. The adornments for the entry are in.

post-4214-0-88449600-1398643774_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-44925400-1398643789_thumb.jpg

I salvaged the starboard gallery windows, but I have no idea how I'll salvage the aft windows. I don't even want to show you them. They are a product of one of the few pre-cut pieces Constructo provides. The per-cut holes were too big, so I had to shrink the holes before installing the windows. Now I don't like the  way they look, so I'll probably tear them all out and start over. Oh well! They say model ship building is a series of error corrections. The first error we make is starting!

post-4214-0-24840700-1398648876_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hipexec

They say model ship building is a series of error corrections. The first error we make is starting!

Hmmmm.. I think the first error is buying the kit, the second is starting, but the biggest sin would be giving up. Not that I think you have any intention of that. You recover well from your (mis)adventures, I've no doubt this will be the same.

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise