USS Constitution by AndyMech - FINISHED - Mamoli - Scale 1:93 - Cross-Section

You don't waste any time!  I know there are a few Pride's on MSW but I'll be looking forward to your log.  You could certainly tackle Syren now but getting a hull under your belt will give you confidence.  When I look back at my Syren now there are a lot of 'woulda, coulda, shoulda's' but it's all part of the learning curve.  

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Well, this should be the final pictures of the build log.  I added the cross section to the same case as my previous Revell Constitution build:

post-308-0-61330300-1420136898_thumb.jpg

post-308-0-25845100-1420136899_thumb.jpg

post-308-0-76106400-1420136899_thumb.jpg

post-308-0-21131200-1420136900_thumb.jpg

Thanks to everyone who followed my build log and offered help, suggestions, "likes" and encouragement.

Once my Pride of Baltimore II kit arrives, I'll start a build log for that as well.

Andy.

• 5 years later...

Andy-- I'm working (muddling?) through the same model. I'm not nearly as meticulous as you are but I'm pretty happy with it so far. This build log will be a major reference for me as I continue! It's already cleared up my confusion about the mainmast to topmast area.

I'm doing this long drydocked Connie as a learning project for my next, which will be the Pride Of Baltimore II, so I'll be following your build log for that too.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/7/2014 at 4:34 PM, AndyMech said:

Once again, it's been a while since I've updated my log here.  After the ratlines were put in place, I've tried to add the futtock shrouds and then the upper shrouds, with their ratlines.  I think I did a little better here, but still could improve.

First, the futtock shrouds:

post-308-0-25610000-1410121703_thumb.jpg

How did you attach the futtock (love that word!) shrouds to the main shrouds? I can't tell from the photos.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/6/2014 at 12:28 PM, AndyMech said:

Thanks for the tip [pinning the yard], Joe.  I was wondering if I would attach the yards just using rigging, or if that wouldn't be strong enough. Using a pin to secure it seems like a robust solution.  Appreciate it.

Rigging should be enough. That's what holds the real thing,right? I can see pinning as a temporary measure then maybe taking the pin out. The holes on the mast and yard ought to be hidden when all is done,right?

Another question,if anyone is still following...

The sling for the main yard is stationary,not adjustable on the real ship,right? If so, how would the main yard be lowered if necessary? I'm guessing that this would rarely need to be done and the sling would just be un lashed then re done when the yard was raised again?

I'm also wondering how much of this work could be done with the mast out of the hull? I find it a bit shaky to work with my arms high enough to work on things high up on the mast with the mast in place and the hull on my workbench. For example,would it be feasible to rig the yards into place,leaving enough running rigging attached and bound up in hanks to be attached to the deck or fife rail later on? It looks like I ought to be able to do that and then work around them enough to do the shrouds and stays once they're done and I put the mast back into the hull. I'm waiting for my Syren standing rigging and it would be nice to be able to get the yards in place now,with the mast held low down in my bench vise.

• 1 year later...