Ropewalk

2 hours ago, Kevin Kenny said:

Has anyone ever come across this ropewalk? I purchased it 20 years ago and never used it and am now trying to get it up and running but have no instructions. Lots of the parts have rotted out and need to be changed. 

2A50D960-E604-4E36-BDF9-B922D7D2659B.jpeg

EF0DB660-DCDB-4C50-BB05-3884D8E6F1C8.jpeg

41042369-E74E-4030-88B2-373B6465484C.jpeg

171F0A3F-7052-421B-B58C-1C8D66F3F089.jpeg

91FDBE14-EAF0-4E6A-9E4C-6B487F3C58FD.jpeg

EC45C79D-57E2-4D5D-8E90-1C5EE392521E.jpeg

It looks like you are missing something between the motor shaft and the planetary gear.  I would say a friction pulley.

That motor looks intimidating.  Are you sure you want to run that thing?

28 minutes ago, targa4403 said:

It looks like you are missing something between the motor shaft and the planetary gear.  I would say a friction pulley.

That motor looks intimidating.  Are you sure you want to run that thing?

One common arrangement was simply a friction drive with the bare side of the motor shaft pressed against the outside edge of the planetary gear assembly which had some sort of rubber band around it to improve friction between the shaft and the edge of the planetary gear assembly. Alternately, a section of tight-fitting vinyl or rubber tubing can be slid over the motor shaft to reduce slippage on the bare motor shaft. It appears there is a threaded rod on the motor mount which may accommodate adjusting the tension of the motor shaft on the edge of the planetary gear assembly. There doesn't seem to be any apparent problem with that motor that some provision for variable speed-control won't solve. It would appear that the design is "first generation." It only will accommodate three-strand cordage. Domanoff's PL-4 will produce three- and four-strand cordage, right and left-handed lays, and it will permit layups around a core strand which is required for four-strand layups. This machine appears capable only of three-strand right and left-handed layups. To my mind, the biggest limitation is the lack of a speed-controlled take-up reel. This machine's take-up reel is hand-cranked. The operator will have to continually turn the crank at a speed that maintains proper tension coming off the planetary gear assembly.

On 1/26/2023 at 2:54 PM, Kevin Kenny said:

Has anyone ever come across this ropewalk? I purchased it 20 years ago and never used it and am now trying to get it up and running but have no instructions. Lots of the parts have rotted out and need to be changed. 

2A50D960-E604-4E36-BDF9-B922D7D2659B.jpeg

EF0DB660-DCDB-4C50-BB05-3884D8E6F1C8.jpeg

41042369-E74E-4030-88B2-373B6465484C.jpeg

171F0A3F-7052-421B-B58C-1C8D66F3F089.jpeg

91FDBE14-EAF0-4E6A-9E4C-6B487F3C58FD.jpeg

EC45C79D-57E2-4D5D-8E90-1C5EE392521E.jpeg

saw your recent video on the operation of this machine.  glad to see you figured it out.

You are a braver man than I with those catchy things whirling around! Two points: one, hard to see, but the lay seems too loose and two, if properly laid and hardened, the rope should not unravel when cut.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Kevin, it looks very similar in concept to Jim Byrne's design (universal ropewalk) which has a very small footprint.  The cone is replaced with a die in a stand that forms the winding of the scale rope.  The placement and size (hole) in the die govern the angle of twist (tightness).  I bought one of Jim's and after much experimentation have come up with same basic 'rules' of thumb for its operation.  There was (may still be) a topic somewhere (probably under Rigging) that several users of the JB ropewalk left comments WRT how to use it.  The most important being how to wind on the stock threads in the right way to achieve the lay of the scale rope you want.  Also, it is very important to 'ENSURE' the stock threads are wound onto the three individual stock spools at exactly the same tension.  As you can easily deduce, the take-up of the rope is done manually using the hand wound spool.  Some experimentation is necessary to determine the distance between the spools and the 'die' (cone replacement) in Jim's version of this.  

There used to be an article about this style of ropewalk by its original designer in a magazine - I will see if I can find it.  Give me a PPM if you think it is the same. 

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

One very handy accessory that I obtained for use with my Domanoff machine is a bobbin winder. These gizmos are sold in fabric and sewing machine stores and online. They are a stand-alone version of the bobbin winders incorporated in the design of sewing machines. They make it possible to vary the tightness of the thread wound on the bobbins and to wind the bobbins with the same amount of thread on each and all at the same tension. The tension of the thread on the bobbins is one of the determining factors in the quality of the rope made. 

Amazon.com: Simplicity 388175A Sidewinder Portable Automatic Bobbin Winder Machine, 120 Voltage, White

Sidewinder Portable Bobbin Winder 88175 | Bobbins, Sewing machine accessories, Quilting supplies

8 hours ago, BANYAN said:

There used to be an article about this style of ropewalk by its original designer in a magazine - I will see if I can find it.  Give me a PPM if you think it is the same. 

There's lots of information about ropemaking in general and the Domanoff machines very similar to this one here: Discussions about Rope Making - Model Ship World™