Lowell Grand Banks Dory by boatsNbeers - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:24

Hello Everyone.

This is my first build log so please forgive me for possible poor picture quality or misplaced text. Bad alignment, etc. I will do my best to make sure things are in the right place. This is my attempt at building the Model Shipways Lowell Grand Banks Dory. I think attempt is the best description since I am not pleased with how it turned out. I did enjoy building it though and did complete the model. I have quite a few pictures that may help other to not make the same mistakes that I did. What follows is my journey through the build process.

My build log starts off with the bulkhead frames being prepped for planking. This picture is the port side showing the frames being sanded transom to stem.

1 Frames prepped for planking.jpeg

Edited by boatsNbeers

Next is the stem prepped for planking. It looks centered except towards the bottom at the base. I think it will be okay since the planks don’t go all the way to the bottom. 

The next picture is the transom being prepped for planking. It looks like I have the transom centered to the bottom of the boat. Well see when the planking starts.

2 Stem prepped for planking.jpeg

3 Transom prepped for planking.jpeg

Port side Sheer plank being bent. Looks to be a lot of over hang at the stem. I also have to confess that as I was shaping the Board planks I managed to snap 3 of the frames. Work stopped and I glued the frames back together. My hope is that everything still lines up okay. The frames seem to be the right height. But the dory is still upside down at this stage. Lesson here - Basswood is fragile. Be gentle.

17 Port Side Sheer Plank being bent.JPG

Tried to create a new Sheer plank from scratch. The wood plank I found at my local hardware store was too thick so I had to sand it down to the correct thickness. Fairly easy with basswood. The challenge was getting uniform thickness. Anyway I was able to create a new Sheer plank to use.

19 Attempt to Create Sheer Plank from scratch.JPG

20 Outline Sheer Plank from other side.JPG

New Sheer Plank glued in place. Didn’t come out to good. Back to the drawing board. I used some 99% alcohol to get the glue to loosen up and removed my scratch built Sheer plank. Luckily Model Shipways has a policy that allows you to get replacement parts. When I first made my mistake I requested a new Sheer plank. They sent me a new plank and I was back in business. I was happy to get the new sheer plank glued in place and the build continued.

22 Transon View Sheer Pmaks Glued in place.JPG

23 Bow View Sheer Planks glued in place.JPG

24 OOPS New Sheer Plank didn't woirk too good.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Cap rail glued in-lace and painted. The dory has also had its second coat of paint. You’ll notice a slight dip in the cap rail towards the stern. This is because I broke the cap rail trying to get the bend right. Another OOPS !!! Tried to fix with some wood filler but it’s still noticeable. I chalk this up to lesson learned and what NOT to do. :).

Pic 36 - Cap Rail Glued in and painted. .jpeg

These pics are of my attempt to make oars. They give you 5 oars for which I am very glad they did. I broke one so I was down to four. The oars are harder than they look. Getting the right shape is challenging. I had 2 things working against me. Soft wood and sandpaper grit. I think I used too heavy a grit to shape the wood and took off too much material at one time. The shaping of the paddle portion went well. Getting the oar to be perfectly round not so well. They look okay at first and then you look close at them you see that they are not completely round. Another lesson learned. The other challenge was getting the handles round. The trick here is cutting the handle so it is square and then very gently round the corners until it gets round. On my last oar I got a round handle. Now I know how to do the handles. The secret to doing oars in lots of patience, some 180 or 200 grit sandpaper and a gentle touch. It's easy to take off material and impossible to put it back on. I have a much better feel for creating oars now.

Pic 37 - Oars side view.jpeg

Pic 38 - Oars top view.jpeg

I finished up the oars by using wood conditioner to seal the oars. I then applied some clear satin finish top them to give a lacquered look. Once they were dry the leathering was added. I used brown packing paper for the leathering and matched it against the plans. I think the leathering came out okay. This is my first time ever making oars. I like how they look, especially from 3 feet away, lol. Next up will be building and finishing the base.

Pic 39 - Oars with Leathering.jpeg

Edited by boatsNbeers

Had some time over the weekend to update the build log. This is my finished base. I rounded the edges of the base and the cradles. Sanded it with  320 sand paper and then 400 grit to give it a smooth finish. I then used an espresso poly stain. The name plate was made from scrap wood. I stained the name plate with a Pecan poly stain. The lettering was created on my computer and printed on my ink jet printer. I then sealed the name plated with a clear stain finish. Really like how it turned out.

Anyone have any comments on the base? 

Pic 40 - Display Base finished.jpeg

On 3/2/2023 at 2:08 PM, boatsNbeers said:

I finished up the oars by using wood conditioner to seal the oars. I then applied some clear satin finish top them to give a lacquered look. Once they were dry the leathering was added. I used brown packing paper for the leathering and matched it against the plans. I think the leathering came out okay. This is my first time ever making oars. I like how they look, especially from 3 feet away, lol. Next up will be building and finishing the base.

Your oars look great! Put them beside mine and you’ll feel better. I wish I knew to use the wood conditioner and satin finish. 

Current builds: Captain John Smith’s shallop - Pavel Nikitin
Back on the shelf: Gretel - Mamoli

completed builds:

Sea of Galilee boat

Lowell Grand Banks dory

Norwegian sailing pram

Muscongus bay lobster smack

Peterboro Canoe- Midwest

5 minutes ago, Bryan Woods said:
On 3/2/2023 at 12:08 PM, boatsNbeers said:

Your oars look great! Put them beside mine and you’ll feel better. I wish I knew to use the wood conditioner and satin finish. 

Hi Bryan. The wood conditioner and satin finish are from Model Expo. I used the wood conditioner to seal the oars so the satin finish wouldn't build up. After the wood conditioner I used some 320 sandpaper to smooth them and then used the satin finish to give it a varnished look without the shine. Attached is a picture of the 2 bottles.

Pic 49 - Wood Conditioner and Finish.jpeg

34 minutes ago, boatsNbeers said:

Hi Bryan. The wood conditioner and satin finish are from Model Expo. I used the wood conditioner to seal the oars so the satin finish wouldn't build up. After the wood conditioner I used some 320 sandpaper to smooth them and then used the satin finish to give it a varnished look without the shine. Attached is a picture of the 2 bottles.

Pic 49 - Wood Conditioner and Finish.jpeg

They were in my kit too. The directions didn’t mention them so I thought they were for the other builds. I’ve started on the Norwegian sailing Pram so I’m going to use them on it. More minds more info. Thanks 

Bryan

Current builds: Captain John Smith’s shallop - Pavel Nikitin
Back on the shelf: Gretel - Mamoli

completed builds:

Sea of Galilee boat

Lowell Grand Banks dory

Norwegian sailing pram

Muscongus bay lobster smack

Peterboro Canoe- Midwest