Lowell Grand Banks Dory by boatsNbeers - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:24

Found some more time to work on the Dory. The thwarts were painted bulwark dark green. I was looking for some contrast with the yellow ochre. The thwarts were glued in using CA glue. I didn't want them coming loose when the oars are glued on. The thwarts definitely stand out. I played around with different oar combinations to get them to look the same in size and shape. I aligned the oars with the leathering. Next were the thole pins. My kit didn't have the 3/64" dowel. What I got was a 12" length on 3/64" x 1/8" strip of basswood. Fortunately I have friends in other hobbies. My buddy Wayne builds train layouts in N gauge. He had some plastic 3/64" dowel. Yeah !!!. All I had to do now was get it to look like wood. I used some 150 grit sandpaper to give the dowel some texture, kind of like wood grain. I then painted the tholes yellow ochre. Another contrast between yellow ochre and bulwark dark green which is what the cap rail was painted with. Great progress so far. Next will be mounting the Dory to the base and installing the beckets. 

Pic 41 - Oars and Tholes Glued in place..jpeg

52 - Tholes Closeup.jpeg

Edited by boatsNbeers
Added a closeup of the Tholes

Lots of progress on the Dory.  The base is complete, now comes gluing the dory to the base. This step took a steady hand because I was using CA glue to ensure a good adhesion to the cradles. You only get one try at mounting the Dory to the base. Luckily, I got it glued on the first try. Looks good.

60 - Dory gl;ued to base.jpeg

Next were the Beckets. The pictures that follow are of the Stern Becket.

The first is the Stern becket being formed, the next is the Stern Becket after forming and the last picture is the Stern Becket knots.

I think the Stern Becket came out okay. I will work on the Bow Becket next and then post up the final pictures of the finished Dory.

42 - Stern Becket beeing formed..jpeg

43 - Stern Becket formed.jpeg

44 - Stern Becket knots.jpeg

The Bow becket is next. First picture is the Bow Becket with knots before trimming. Next picture a top view showing the Bow Becket installed. The next view shows the Bow Becket knots.

I forgot to mention that the thread used for the beckets is left over thread from a previous ship model I had built. Believe it or not the thread is the same size. The difference is the thread that I used was a much tighter weave. It was easier to thread through the holes and also easier to knot. The thread that came with the kit seemed way too big and out of scale for the Dory. The next post will be pictures of the finished Dory with closing comments.

45 - Bow Becket installed.jpeg

46 - Top view. Bow Becket installed.jpeg

47 - Bow Becket knots..jpeg

Boats

Looks great, nice job.

Current Projects:                                                                                          Completed Projects:

Phantom New York Pilot Boat - Model Shipways - 1:96                        Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack - Model Shipways - 1:24

18th Century Long Boat - Model Shipways - 1:48

Norwegian Sailing Pram - Model Shipways - 1:12

Lowell Grand Banks Dory - Model Shipways - 1:24

26 minutes ago, boatsNbeers said:

The Bow becket is next. First picture is the Bow Becket with knots before trimming. Next picture a top view showing the Bow Becket installed. The next view shows the Bow Becket knots.

I forgot to mention that the thread used for the beckets is left over thread from a previous ship model I had built. Believe it or not the thread is the same size. The difference is the thread that I used was a much tighter weave. It was easier to thread through the holes and also easier to knot. The thread that came with the kit seemed way too big and out of scale for the Dory. The next post will be pictures of the finished Dory with closing comments.

45 - Bow Becket installed.jpeg

46 - Top view. Bow Becket installed.jpeg

47 - Bow Becket knots..jpeg

We’ll done!

Current builds: Captain John Smith’s shallop - Pavel Nikitin
Back on the shelf: Gretel - Mamoli

completed builds:

Sea of Galilee boat

Lowell Grand Banks dory

Norwegian sailing pram

Muscongus bay lobster smack

Peterboro Canoe- Midwest

Hi Everyone, All after a long day of yard work and some dinner. I finally got back to the computer.

Below are the finished pictures of my Lowell Grand Banks Dory. It has been quite a journey. from busted frames to planks cut too short, the build is finally complete.

So what did I learn from this build.....Hmmm......

1. Basswood is very soft.

2. Basswood breaks easy.

3. Don’t force Basswood - See # 2.

4. Measure twice cut once.

5. Thin your paint so you get a smooth coat.

6. Line things up the first time. It takes less time than having to un-glue and re-glue parts.

7. Most important thing - TAKE YOU TIME

8. And other stuff that I don't remember right now but will come to back to me on my next build. 

50 - Finished Dory Port Side View.jpeg

51 - Finished Dory Port Side View with Tholes.jpeg

48 - Dory Finished.jpeg

55 - Finished Dory Port Side View with Planks.jpeg

Thank you everyone who have followed this build log. I haven’t given up. The build was sometimes frustrating and at the same time enjoyable. I enjoyed completing the Dory. I also learned a lot of new things during the build. These are lessons that can be applied to future builds. Now on to the Norwegian Sailing Pram. Look for that build log soon.

Beautiful job on your Dory.  Congratulations.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat