Ticking off the bulkheads

Are you attempting to spile the planks or simply develop a run of planking for kit-provided strips?  If you are spiling, take a look at the Half Hull Planking Project, starting at Post #22.  

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

34 minutes ago, rudybob said:

Do I begin ticking from the keel upwards or the sheerline down?

Hi Rudy

Not sure I understand why there a difference?  If the distance along the frame or bulkhead in question with a tick strip is 3.8 inches for examples, it is the same if measured from the top of the rabbet up or from the sheer line down to the rabbet.   Either way, if it is 3.8 inches to be planked and there are to be 18 strakes, the width of the planks at that frame or bulkhead should be 0.21 inches wide.  Maybe post a pic if I am way off base on understanding your question.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

I'm thinking about the strake that snubs into the rabbet 

Rudy

Every strake snubs into the rabbet (except if there is a drop strake), but it sounds like maybe  you are talking about the garboard strake.  The width of the garboard strake is the same as the others so if they are all the same it makes no difference if you work up or down.  The most common mistake made with the garboard is having it too long and riding up the stem well past where the boxing joint of the keel and stem is located.  Look at a couple planking expansion plans to get an idea on how the garboard as well as the other planking lays.  There are several on the RMG Collections site.   One example:

https://www.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/rmgc-object-81960

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

The boxing (AKA boxsum) is where the keel attaches to the stem.  I don't know if any kits bother with this as most seem to use a simpler join.   It varied a bit over the years, and was often coaked but for modeling purposes, if you decide to make a boxing joint, the coaking is not really needed as it will be hidden.  The finished joint typically also received 6 bolts running horizontally, 

BoxingJoint.JPG.57a68f12dc55e2c5770584c6128e0eb1.JPG

BoxingJoint.thumb.jpg.56fdb4577c8476cd1f31b5ebb7948fef.jpg

I'm following the tick marks I made. When I do that the garboard extends to the point in the picture. It doesn't "appear" to be riding up the stem. If it did ride up some could I compensate for that with the next strake to keep my line as straight as possible?

tic.jpg

tic4.jpg

Edited by rudybob

1 hour ago, rudybob said:

I am taking the garboard only to where the stem begins it's rise. 

Look at the planking expansion I posted in post #5 above.  It is not an exact science, but the main thing is that you do not take the garboard too high up the stem.

The kit joint seems to be located where the boxing joint would be but I wonder why they designed it to be upside down.  Then again I doubt many people will notice. 😁

Edited by allanyed

The run of the garboard looks OK, maybe just a tiny bit high at the stem.  Is your keel piece glued in place or just placed there for the photos?  I ask because there is a considerable gap between it and the stem.  Which kit are you building?

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Hi rudybob, here’s a few pics of some of my planking. I found it easier to lay out the garboard but using a straight strip of wood clipped to the bulkheads where the plank above the garboard would sit. Start at the joint and run it back to the stern keeping the distance from the keel not more than the width of the plank you are using for the garboard. Mark the bulkheads and use the measurements at each bulkhead to lay out your garboard. Yours won’t be as wide at the stern (as in the first pic) but the principle is the same.

A76D5D7E-D7F3-47F9-9768-5E8CB1B34D43.thumb.jpeg.b381e614758b9f25100f5ca67dcb15c3.jpeg

7634CFD9-C54B-4FED-9314-E9ED20A18F3E.thumb.jpeg.ed710907321852bf8dec36893abda4e1.jpeg

5A58A232-7376-4231-B75D-612FD9881D96.thumb.jpeg.5174612ee1ce0d3e4c2ddadaadf699a7.jpeg

These aren’t the best examples but they give you an idea of what Allen suggesting.

Regards……..Paul 

Completed Builds   Glad Tidings Model Shipways. -   Nordland Boat. Billings Boats . -  HM Cutter Cheerful-1806  Syren Model Ship Company. 

9 hours ago, tlevine said:

The run of the garboard looks OK, maybe just a tiny bit high at the stem.  Is your keel piece glued in place or just placed there for the photos?  I ask because there is a considerable gap between it and the stem.  Which kit are you building?

Yes. It is glued and I had to choose the lesser of two weevils. It's poorly cut and I am not the only one to get it like this. So much for laser cut accuracy. A more talented guy could have fit it by sanding or filing but I ain't that guy. It's Chuck's pinnace from our old friend model shipways

8 hours ago, Paul Le Wol said:

Hi rudybob, here’s a few pics of some of my planking. I found it easier to lay out the garboard but using a straight strip of wood clipped to the bulkheads where the plank above the garboard would sit. Start at the joint and run it back to the stern keeping the distance from the keel not more than the width of the plank you are using for the garboard. Mark the bulkheads and use the measurements at each bulkhead to lay out your garboard. Yours won’t be as wide at the stern (as in the first pic) but the principle is the same.

A76D5D7E-D7F3-47F9-9768-5E8CB1B34D43.thumb.jpeg.b381e614758b9f25100f5ca67dcb15c3.jpeg

7634CFD9-C54B-4FED-9314-E9ED20A18F3E.thumb.jpeg.ed710907321852bf8dec36893abda4e1.jpeg

5A58A232-7376-4231-B75D-612FD9881D96.thumb.jpeg.5174612ee1ce0d3e4c2ddadaadf699a7.jpeg

These aren’t the best examples but they give you an idea of what Allen suggesting.

I am going to try this tomorrow. Thank You