Bluenose 11rigging

Pocojo

Hello all,

I am a 74 yr old new member and have been building models since I was 12. Plastic wood or whatever was never a problem. This bluenose 11 model is soon coming to the stage of my biggest concern (rigging) I never had any experience in this area. Plastic and wood are fixed and not a problem but thread lines to me can distort sag and a myriad of problems that I can forsee happening to me, I would greatly appreciate anyone steering me away from the pitfalls of a beginner rigger. I have good eyes a stable hand and all the necessary tools and really need helpful advice in this major area of this construction stage. Thank you all for reading and any help you may offer in this area.

Pocojo

Welcome to MSW, Pocojo.   There's a whole area devoted to rigging...  https://modelshipworld.com/forum/16-masting-rigging-and-sails/    It's very searchable using search feature here at MSW (upper right side of every page.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome to MSW  

Mark's advice is right on the spot.   Spend at least a dozen hours or more studying the thousands of posts.  It will save you many hours of frustration and do-overs.  Also go to the various Bluenose build logs for some good information.  If you do not have it, consider getting a copy of Chapelle's book on schooners as it is a great source of information.  It is based on American schooners, but the rigging descriptions and drawings are pretty much appropriate and extremely helpful.

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

:722972270:

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Previous builds, in rough order of execution;
Shipjack, Peterbrough Canoe, Flying Fish, Half Moon, Britannia racing sloop, Whale boat, Bluenose, Picket boat, Viking longboat, Atlantic, Fair American, Mary Taylor, half hull Enterprise, Hacchoro, HMS Fly, Khufu Solar Boat.

On the shelf; Royal Barge, Jefferson Davis.

16 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Welcome to MSW, Pocojo.   There's a whole area devoted to rigging...  https://modelshipworld.com/forum/16-masting-rigging-and-sails/    It's very searchable using search feature here at MSW (upper right side of every page.  

Thanks much for your reply I will go to that site

pocojo

pocojo,

As Allan said, Howard Chapelle's "The American Fishing Schooners 1825-1935" (W. W. Norton & Company, New York, 1973) is the best reference for schooners like Bluenose. It has 370 pages of illustrated notes describing in detail the small features of these vessels.

There are also several Bluenose builds on the forum where you can see the problems and solutions others have found.

If you are looking for general terminology and other information about schooner rigs I have posted some information here:

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25679-topsail-schooner-sail-plans-and-rigging/?do=findComment&comment=750865