Revenge 1577 by Loracs - Amati - 1:64

@Baker, you are more than welcome... BUT it is going away fast 😉

@AllanYed, a thousand thanks for the reference and comments.  I will definitively look it up.  The printed sections from the kit are in fact nice.  I just like the look and feel of wood.  Hiding it behind paint/decal just makes me cringe.  It may end NOT historically accurate to use alternative, but I may just prefer the look.  What if the "Revenge" was sold, late in its life, to a rich merchant that revamp it a little (hey!). Still few weeks to think it out over.

Edited by Loracs

Completed Build: Chinese Pirate Junk

Current Build: HMS Revenge

About Inlays.  This is what I'm thinking (see picture).  The "feather pattern" (top one), on the side, along with a number of walnut strips.  Nothing really fancy, a simple outlook. The two below, likely for deck wall decoration, again with walnut strips for accent.

The last two, unlikely.  The one with the vertical pattern may clash due to the color.  The moon-cycle inlay is nice (loving it)... but maybe it's too wide.

Let me know what you think.  Would truly appreciate all your comments.

image.jpeg

Question about planking heavy curves (bow).  This is my first large ship with pronounced "curves".

If you look at the pictures (now sanded partially), you will see that I have a significant "clinker" effect (is it the right term? I mean plank binding upward at an angle with curvature) as I progress planking upward.  The question is how to avoid it in the first place.

a) should I have tapered all the planks below a little more to start with, basically better planning, to avoid a compounding-effect later?

b) should I have considered doing a drop plank to reduce the effect when it started mid-bow?

c) Should I have bent upward (against the grain) to reduce this effect and keep going? 

d) I have a problem in the planning of the bow.  Mainly the width of the planks since (due to the drop with the vertical curvature) there is no definitive end-point for calculation (like with the side of the ship).

Your help is very much welcome...  I can apply a better technique for the second planking.

Cheers,

IMG_1542.jpeg

Edited by Loracs

Hi Loracs, for me , At the bottom of the page there is three little  dots that say "more" click on that. Then go to the article data base, there is all the information on how to line off your hull, and planking info.

All you need to know about planking is there. I have been studying it for two years, just about got the hang of it , lol. 

Good luck my friend,       :cheers:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,The Mayflower Amati 1:60, Viking Ship Drakkar-1:50

non Ship Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom Truck

Current Build:    King of the Mississippi-Artesania Latina-1:80

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Researched the planking of the hull of a galleon for my previous model.

(Starts in post 47)

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

First Planking, mostly done.  My first planking on a ship that size with such "curves"

It was far more difficult than anticipated.  I truly underestimated the "clinker effect".  It was ok up to mid hull, then it started to get bad.  I had to wet the surface and iron out the planks on the ship.  Wood expanded, then shrank, creating hairline space in places....  not the best approach.  Surface is ok tho, ready for the finishing step.

On the bright end, the sides and back (still doing the wedges) are nice.  No spaces, clean and smooth surface.  No need for wood putty!!

What I learned:

Read and re-read the planking tutorial.  

Spilling planks are a must.  Don't underestimate the plank clinker effect.

And finally, better define (planning stage) the shape (angle down) of each of the 4 sectors at the bow.  Having difficulties there.

IMG_1547.jpeg

IMG_1552.jpeg

IMG_1551.jpeg

IMG_1550.jpeg

IMG_1549.jpeg

Edited by Loracs

5 hours ago, Loracs said:

First Planking, mostly done.  My first planking on a ship that size with such "curves"

It was far more difficult than anticipated. 

I know exactly what you mean. It is definitely the most difficult model making process that I’ve ever done. 

However, your results are magnificent. Sure, there are a few cracks to fill at the bow, but compared to my first bluff bow, yours fits like a dance floor. 

I’m doing my second fully round bow right now, second planking, and I’m just beginning to understand and achieve the ‘geometry of the curved surface’. That’s something I wasn’t taught at school. Looking at your first plank layer here, I think you’re very close already. Remember, the thinner second layer is much easier to work with. 

A very neat first planking 👍

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Small wedges at the stern are now filled.  I reviewed the tutorials on planking and noted the steps for improvement.  I'm starting to layout the hull completely anew for the second planking.  Note that the tapes are set at intervals rather than following the bulkheads. It will accomplish the same goal, getting measurements for each sector/band.  Temporary battens to follow.

However, I will need a week or two break to give my back a rest...  but will be back...!

IMG_1556.jpeg

Spilling planks.  I learned the hard way that it is better to do before planking than fixing after. For me, I'm more comfortable using a guide for the shape I want to obtain, wet the planks and use a hairdryer for shaping.  I got mixed results using a travel iron, mostly because I have difficulties holding in place while ironing.  It keeps springing up in the curved area. We each develop small tricks to get things done...

Note: Clamps can leave a mark on the planks... use a wood strip on top of the planks (under the clamp) to hold things together now.

IMG_1563.jpeg

Edited by Loracs

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Second Planking done...  finally.  Looking forward to doing something else.  Thanks to the many tutorials and logs from all of you, I'm happy with the final results.  Still need to touch sanding but it is ready for the first coat of matte poly.

Summary: Spiling planks was painfull at time (see below pulling my hair <joking>)... but planks at the bow lay flat. The wood has long grains and can break easily. Patience is a must. Working with 120mm plank-segments turned out to be a blessing.  Far easier to glue into place without making a mess.  You just need to get the first plank right.  First, double planking under my belt.

Pirate.jpg

IMG_1729.jpeg

IMG_1730.jpeg

IMG_1731.jpeg

IMG_1732.jpeg

Edited by Loracs

That's a very nice job , impressive frist model my friend.  Way to go ,  :cheers:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,The Mayflower Amati 1:60, Viking Ship Drakkar-1:50

non Ship Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom Truck

Current Build:    King of the Mississippi-Artesania Latina-1:80

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Very nice planking 👍

Regards, Patrick

• 2 weeks later...

Hull completed.  I must say that I'm pretty happy to have this step completed and move on to other parts.  While I was around, I decided to get this level gunport(s) completed. Top off with matte poly.  Two more coats to go but that's the easy, while satisfying, part.  It gives a sense of what the wood will look like once finished.

IMG_1775.jpeg

IMG_1772.jpeg

IMG_1774.jpeg

First deck cannons: I aged the cannons slightly with "brass black" to retain the brownish color.  Similarly, I treated the carriages with walnut wood stain to retain the wood grain. This gave it a more but aged wood look.  The last picture was before treatment. Subtle difference but still better in person.

IMG_1842.jpeg

IMG_1843.jpeg

IMG_1837.jpeg

Edited by Loracs

• 2 weeks later...

Minimalist Decoration theme: From personal preference, I like minimalist design when it comes to painting model ships. I prefer woods of various types.  The historic "The Revenge" is heavy in paint... just too much for me.  There is nothing wrong with it (or the kit supplied materials) , it's just a matter of taste. I will thus be deviating from the historical layout... but I'm fine with it, which may not be the preference for some.

Walnut strips are of great quality, source from Modeler's Sawmill is a custom wood milling shop located in New Jersey, that caters to hobbyists and model shipbuilders (modelerssawmill.com).

I will be using wood inlays when possible.  Examples are shown below.  In addition, I have been planking the vertical panels with walnut strips for a better finish/look.  To add some 3D texture, I sanded the upper side of the strips for better definition when beside each other.

I hope I'm not offending anyone because of the lack of historic accuracy.  Enjoys...

IMG_1849.jpeg

IMG_1869.jpeg

IMG_1866.jpeg

IMG_1867.jpeg

IMG_1869.jpeg

Edited by Loracs

I love the addition of the inlays! They look great.  I'm wondering if you want to do the same type of thing with the doors?  The inlays are so well done that the doors almost detract from them.   I only offer this as an opinion that is probably not held in the majority.  I am a master of going down rabbit holes and never finishing my projects. :D

Alan

hello knightyo,  thanks for the comment.  you are right. I was thinking about carving the door frames...  but I fail badly at it. I just don't have the right tool for it. 

Maybe I should have painted the door only, keeping the door frame brass.  I'm just running out of idea, so I painted red.  Likely not the best?  Maybe another color that does not stand out so much?  Red look like a good idea at first....  but now i just don't know!  hehe!  Maybe off-white? 

Let me know what you guys think.

Edited by Loracs

I think your painting gives a very special and beautiful result.
At the time the Revenge was built, wood and iron were used.No brass 😉

The most common colors where red,green and white

Regards, Patrick

On 7/12/2023 at 8:12 AM, Loracs said:

The middle strips are glued only to the first half...  as many suggest here. 

Hi Loracs..looking really good congratulations. I am not understanding what you mean by this line quoted above...and should get it clear before I start

Fishooks (John)