Revenge 1577 by Loracs - Amati - 1:64

Hi Loracs,

You’ve done a wondrous job thus far. I can only dream of being this good!

I must ask, and apologize if it has been asked of you before. Can you share the details of that absolutely incredible building slip you use? I MUST have one! It looks invaluable. I find myself using drill press vices and various other things, but nothing compares to what you have. 

Thank you, 

Eyüp

Current:

Fifie - Amati

Coca - Amati

Completed:

Felucca 1887 - Amati

@TurkSailor  I look a long time for a convenient building slip... The one I like was out of order and manufacturer did not even reply about possible availability in the future.  Link here:  

SO...  I build a working table.  Not quite a slip to guide you in the build but mostly to hold the ship in place.  It was a lot of work to make and rather expensive.  I choose to do it for fun (I wanted a woodworking project to spend time on).  At the end NOT a slip... but a close second/third.  Beside that... nothing else.  You can get by with a lot cheaper alternative since it just holds the ship on place, nothing more.  Lastly, it is heavy, very heavy.  So, I place the table on a large Lazy Susan to rotate it.

Here the link for the table: 

Edited by Loracs

Completed Build: Chinese Pirate Junk

Current Build: HMS Revenge

22 ft Yawl (Vanguard Models): I'm adding a 22ft Yawl and 18ft Cutter (later) to the Revenge Build.  Both are made by Vanguard Models and of excellent quality and design.  Since we don't see those often, I'm adding pictures below.  The model has matte clear coat only (except at the bottom of the yawl because it has photo-etch parts - dark brown).  Wood choice (pearwood and something else) is excellent and the laser burn is very minimal.  Overall, a wonderful small kit, worth every single pennies.  Note: A few photo-etch accessories still need to be added.

IMG_2033.jpeg

IMG_2043.jpeg

IMG_2048.jpeg

IMG_2045.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Taking care of the crew: I wanted to add before rigging.  It may be difficult to place later.  I have not painted miniatures in 40 years... so it was time for supplies.  I'm doing my own paint, since you can basically tailor it to what you need, either airbrush (new to me), contrast, washes, opaque or translucent paint of pretty much any color with CMYK primary.  I like ink because they are pigment dense so when you start mixing for colors, it does not get diluted much.  First time trying Zenital base coat (highlights and shadows) on such a small model... let's see later how it turns out with colors.

Not great quality miniatures... but hey!  I bought them to give a sense of scale (they are 1:64 too), and since I have it at hand, why not use them!

IMG_2055.jpeg

IMG_2064.jpeg

Edited by Loracs

Posted (edited)

Cannon rigging at various stages.  It takes patience.  Two ropes, one to anchor the cannon to the ship (using 0.75mm rope) and the others to handle the cannon back and forth (0.25mm rope with blocks).  Looking forward to having this step done.  I'm running out of 2.5mm blocks so I may not do the one at the back.

IMG_2065.jpeg

Edited by Loracs

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Rigged Cannon: I must say that this took me a while.  They are so small.... not perfect but a step up for me since it is my first time.  I like Master Korabel blocks a lot, but they are so hard to find in any amount.

Glue is still fresh... it will be mostly gone when fully dry.  I used Fabric glue for the ropes.

IMG_2075.jpeg

IMG_2076.jpeg

IMG_2072.jpeg

Edited by Loracs

That looks really good, and very difficult as well :)

Bob M.

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,The Mayflower Amati 1:60

non Ship Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom Truck

Current Build:    Viking Ship Drakkar -Amati-1:50

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Beautiful rigging on the cannons.

Congrats 

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Hello, thanks all...  indeed, the natural color was my go. I could not bring myself painting the hull or the mats. The reason for the inlays. It adds a little "design/oomph" while still be wood. Not quite historic though, but a display piece.

Edited by Loracs

• 2 weeks later...