Hi all.  I have trouble finishing off suppers so that they look right when painting hull. So much so that for recent models I've just eliminated them.

My problem is trying to paint them when hull color is different from the water ways.  When hull is black and  waterways are white do you continue the white out under bulworks or paint that part of waterway black to match hull. Whichever way I try always just looks jarring to me. Which way do you do it? And which way would be historically correct?

Thanks,

Bill

18 hours ago, wmherbert said:

And sorry just realized auto correct changed scuppers to scubbers

Hi Bill

Never heard of scubbers, are you sure these are not scuppers (holes that are often lined with metal such as lead from which water drains)?  Painting occurred after they were installed so I would imagine that whatever the paint color was on the hull would have covered the scupper flanges as well.  What vessel?

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

7 hours ago, wmherbert said:

And sorry just realized auto correct changed scuppers to scubbers

I can't answer your question but I did fix the title.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 1 month later...

Hi there! I totally understand the struggle of getting that perfect finish on your ship models, just like decorating a kake can be a challenge sometimes. When it comes to painting the waterways and hull, historical accuracy can be a guiding principle. Typically, the waterway (the area under the bulwarks) would match the hull color, so if your hull is black, it would make sense to paint that part of the waterway black as well.

However, there can be variations depending on the specific ship and era you're modeling. It's a good idea to research the historical details of the ship you're working on to ensure you're following the correct color scheme. Ultimately, the choice is yours, but aligning with historical accuracy can often result in a more pleasing and authentic appearance.

Welcome to MSW Kojabov.   Hope to see you post an introduction in the new members section.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

I never realized they were painted. Since they were made out of lead, I always assumed they were. grey and make them out of brass coloring them using brass black. Since I like the look of natural wood with trenails visible, I don't have to worry about matching paint colors as I only paint decorative carvings.

Rich

Completed scratch build: The armed brig "Badger" 1777

Current scratch build: The 36 gun frigate "Unite" 1796

Completed kits: Mamoli "Alert", Caldercraft "Sherbourne"

Furthermore, if your question refers to the inlet of the waterways, this is solved in various ways depending of the type of ship. If the ship and/or the waterways are wood, the inlet may be made from a lead tube and is left unpainted. For steel ships, the inlet is typically made of a steel tube welded in place and painted in the same colour as the waterways.

Edited by Doreltomin

On my current model, Puritan, the hull topside, bulwarks, and waterways are all white so no problem. When I run into difficulty is when topsides are black for example and bulwarks and waterways are white. Should the supper going through the bulwarks be white or should it be black?  And more than historical accuracy what is visually pleasing? I've never come to a decision for myself.

20230911_124657.jpg