Holy Ghost 1227 by Ferrus Manus - FINISHED - Revell - 1/50 - PLASTIC - English Nef

Options for the ship's layout:  

2 members have voted

1. 1. what should i do?

• Build as a viking longship
    • Partially scratchbuild into a nef
    • something else entirely??

I'm sure you have heard of this kit before, as it is pretty common. 

Revell Viking Ship - YouTube

This is the Revell 1/50 Viking Ship, intended to be loosely based on the Gokstad ship. However, my copy of this model is a lot more special than the ordinary thing, because it has a great backstory.

You see, the pastor of my church and personal friend, David (The recipient of the racing yacht David Lewandowski) went to Poland on a mission trip there, to aid the Ukrainian refugees. While he was there, he and his family did some buying of souvenirs from Poland, for various people. And, well, he came across a 1/50 viking ship kit. Suffice to say, i was absolutely thrilled that he thought to grab it. The box was kind of beat up, but the kit itself was intact. 

As you probably know, we're going to do a little "sprucing up" of the base model. Thus begins the build log. 

I also had a really good idea for a major change to the ship, while writing the first post. This ship is to be built for display in a church. So, i could change the ship relatively easily to a more "Christian" design: a Nef. I have always wanted to build a nef, and i also always wanted to considerably modify a plastic kit with card. This provides a challenge that the base kit would not do, and all it would take would be the addition of two relatively identical platforms (castles) at the fore and aft. 

Just for clarification, I am very well aware that a nef and a longship are two distinctly different designs, and the deck of a longship was likely very different to the deck of a nef. I am well aware that the organic curves and flowing lines that defined longships were likely not present on nefs. However, we have never recovered an intact nef, and they remain by far the most under-researched ship type of the Middle Ages. 

I am not claiming any form of historical accuracy on this build. I know that this is a departure from the norm for me. However, I am looking for a calm, interesting yet not time intensive "palate cleanser" while i get settled into online college. This vessel should not be seen as true to life or a historically accurate reconstruction, or really anything more than a fun proof of concept. It's kind of like the Mataro Nave in a way: meant to be viewed by church parishioners, not experts. 

Let the build commence! 

(Thank you Steven for being willing to help me) 

Edited by Ferrus Manus

Ok, I like the idea. I would incline toward a nef - if only because they appear so rarely in modelling. (Oh, and I might have a personal interest, I suppose).

A couple of points. First the name. If it's a nef, I wouldn't call it Beowulf. Though written down (probably) in the 11th century and in a Christian mileu (references in the text comparing Grendel to Cain, for example), the story describes event from many centuries earlier, which is probably when it was first composed, but equally probably not written down until the 11th century. Having said that, you're at liberty to call it anything you want - it's your model. But as nefs are a phenomenon of the late-13th and early/mid-14th centuries, I'd be thinking of a name more appropriate to the period. Easy to say, not so easy to do. At the moment I can't think of any known ships' names from this period, but later ones seem to have been either religious or royal - Holigost, Grace Dieu (both early 15th century), Great Michael, Mary Rose, Peter Pomegranate (after the coat of arms of Catherine of Aragon - mid-16th) for example. If I think of any more appropriate to the time I'll chime in again. The ship which sank and drowned King Henry I's only son in 1120 (leading to a civil war over the succession) was known as the White Ship, but I believe that was a description, not its name. Then there was William the Conqueror's ship Mora, but that's back in the 11th century, and the names of Viking ships such as Ormen Lange (Long serpent) are earlier still. Oh, just found the names of two English ships captured by the french in 1338, in raids that culminated in the battle of Sluys, 1340 - towards the very end of the nef's period, when cogs were taking over - the Christopher and the Cog Edward - as you can see, one Biblical and the other royal.

Secondly there are two kinds of vessels that get categorised as nefs - the earlier ones with free-standing castles and the later ones where the castle is somewhat incorporated into the hull. Choose whichever one you like more.

image.png.50c66023515fc47135d9348139ccebcd.png  image.png.f0436ea20717bc6a13e1d0f43b7d1d88.png

In the first type take note of the shape of the stem and sternposts. They are VERY characteristic of nefs and of no other ship. There are more examples in my build log. See also https://www.pinterest.com.au/lowe1847/mediaeval-nefs/ And also note that many of the earlier type have only a single castle - always at the stern.

Regarding the hull shape, as it's a plastic model there's nothing you can do to change it, so just go with what you've got. But I believe you could alter the stem and stern somewhat to be closer to a nef. 

To make it resemble a cargo ship more closely you might think of building up the sides somewhat, and raise the deck to allow more cargo storage. And I'd get rid of the (admittedly beautiful) mast step - whatever shape it was by the late 13th century (and we're talking maybe 300 years of evolution) it's more likely to have been hidden below decks. 

I suppose that's all for now, off the top of my head. If I think of anything else I'll let you know.

Have fun with it.

Steven

Not knowing what a Nef ship was, I looked it up and looked at Louie de Fly's 

log of his nef . Seeing these and looking at others  here's my view. Build an early one that has free standing castels, looks better to me. But it's your ship my man,  I will follow along as I know you will make it exciting  no matter what you pick. Just my opinion  lol.:cheers:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                 Hannah Ship in Bottle-Amati 1:300 : The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20

Current Build:   The Mayflower: Amati 

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

The forecastle will be entirely freestanding, but the sterncastle will likely have its aft end resting on the top of the sternpost. Either way, both castles will be freestanding on the supports in the hull. It will look something like this:

At Sea in the Middle Ages - Shipping Wonders of the World

The ship will not look like this in any way. However, you can see how the sterncastle rests up against the sternpost. On my nef, the aft end of the (likely triangular) castle will rest on top of the relatively low sternpost.

I think what i will do is simply leave the bow and stern decorations off (obviously), put putty in the locator slots, and scribe wood grain back into that. Boom. Now we have acceptable (albeit kind of short) stem and stern posts.

2 hours ago, Knocklouder said:

I will follow along as I know you will make it exciting  no matter what you pick. Just my opinion  lol.:cheers:

You know damn well I'll make it exciting. 🤣

So, what do we think these holes in the ship's hull are?

image.thumb.jpeg.fa8286830759e1ee8200a0334b31677c.jpeg

Are they oar holes, or are they freeing ports/scuppers? 

Also, another difference here. Steven elected to put the supports for his castles completely vertical in relation to the deck. I am electing to do something a little different. My supports will not be completely fused to the sides of the hull, but they will follow the outward angle of the hull. Thus, the castles will be slightly wider than the ship itself. This makes sense because the supports would be stronger if they were at least partially up against the hull. Or, i could simply shave down the sides of the supports and have them semi-attached to the hull strakes. The castles of any nef are so lightly built that the overhang wouldn't matter to the seaworthiness of the ship anyway. 

Edited by Ferrus Manus

7 hours ago, Ferrus Manus said:

I will likely have to keep the mast step, because i don't know how to remove it and keep the deck salvageable. If i can find a way, i could probably get it gone. 

Perhaps make a new deck out of wooden planks? If you widen the ship and lift the deck as I mentioned, the existing plastic deck will possibly be too narrow anyway. (just part of my evil plot to steer you to the Dark Side of working in timber).

6 hours ago, Knocklouder said:

Build an early one that has free standing castels, looks better to me.

To me as well, but it's a matter of aesthetics and personal choice.

4 hours ago, Ferrus Manus said:

the (likely triangular) castle

Can I recommend against that? I've seen pics of models with triangular castles, but the pictorial evidence suggests they were rectangular, or at the most trapezoids tapered towards the ends, as the castles weren't big and heavy enough to warrant tapering to a point at this time, as they were later with carracks (even the early carracks had rectangular or polygonal forecastles). Regarding supporting the castle against the sternpost, I can't see that there would be anything wrong with that. There was probably a period of transition between free-standing and integral castles when that was tried out.

4 hours ago, Ferrus Manus said:

Steven, is your San Marco Floating Hearse a nef, a type of Mediterranean cog, or something different? 

Took me a while to get the reference - of course, it has St Mark's body on board. But I'd call it a reliquary, not a hearse. No, this is c. 1150; cogs hadn't yet been developed in the Atlantic and certainly hadn't made their way to the Mediterranean. They seem to have come into use in the 14th century - at the very earliest maybe the end of the 13th century. My ship is a nave, or perhaps a nave (ro)tonda, a round ship; so-called to distinguish them from long thin galea sottile (galley).

3 hours ago, Ferrus Manus said:

Are they oar holes, or are they freeing ports/scuppers? 

I'm afraid they're oarports. Nefs don't seem to have had them at all, so I suppose you'll have to close them up - perhaps car-bog would do the trick.

3 hours ago, Ferrus Manus said:

My supports will not be completely fused to the sides of the hull, but they will follow the outward angle of the hull.

Hmm, not sure I agree with this. Not as strong, for a start - as the vertical force (weight of the castle) acts on a non-vertical column it would tend to make the column "overturn" (pivot around the lower support). And this would be exacerbated by the motion of the ship in the waves loosening the connection. As I see it, these supports were vertical and somewhat inboard - the deck beams would be amply strong enough to support the columns, particularly if the structure is stiffened with horizontal beams at deck level as shown below.

image.png.2dc96afd371890aeec91fd46ece61b73.png

Steven

Edited by Louie da fly

Mind you, Steven, you're talking about a century later than this vessel. The Holy Ghost is a ship from the late 12th century, not late 13th. 200 years is still 200 years. However, without any concrete evidence available, i will probably find myself keeping the deck mostly intact, plus the additions of ringbolts for the removable planks, a capstan, and a piece for the halyard. 

I would refer you back to post #3. However, the modifications i believe i could easily do, i will at least attempt.

Anyway... 

This is only a teeny tiny dip into the pool of scratchbuilding. 

Change of plans with the castles: Both of them will be in the shape of a trapezoid, not a triangle. Also, the supports will be almost, if not completely, vertical. 

Please do not go away. I thoroughly enjoy you and your suggestions, and it isn't my fault that some of them are simply impossible given my current constraints. I'm in college now, and i don't have the time for a major project, unfortunately. When i truly get around to starting the Senora Fielden, you will truly have the time of your life. 

I can likely build up the sides of the ship, however, by putting actual supports between the knees, thereby closing up the oar-holes and making their puttying easier. 

Edited by Ferrus Manus

...And that's the problem with cardboard. I took some thin cardstock, but the scissors i had were not able to make clean cuts. I was going to use that as a framing material. Maybe this project is stupid. 

How do you cut polystyrene card. Whenever i cut it, it turns out like a mangled mess, every time. Even with a brand new blade. Mine is Evergreen 1/16 inch card. What frustrates me is i can't cut anything right. 

What the hell do i do?? 

16 minutes ago, Ferrus Manus said:

...And that's the problem with cardboard. I took some thin cardstock, but the scissors i had were not able to make clean cuts. I was going to use that as a framing material. Maybe this project is stupid. 

How do you cut polystyrene card. Whenever i cut it, it turns out like a mangled mess, every time. Even with a brand new blade. Mine is Evergreen 1/16 inch card. What frustrates me is i can't cut anything right. 

What the hell do i do?? 

Cutting styrene with clean edges is difficult, especially the thicker the styrene.  I have had some success, with a little difficulty, using an old fashioned paper cutter with a long blade handle, and then sanding it.  I recently asked Marc (Hubac’s Historian) about how he does it so well in his Soleil Royale build log, and he gave a very detailed description of his process.  May be worth a look.

31 minutes ago, Ferrus Manus said:

Can i find card thinner than 1/16? 

I found this:

https://www.amazon.com/WHITE-Styrene-Thermoform-Plastic-Sheets/dp/B006T2NA8M

I am not familiar with the brand, however.

34 minutes ago, Ferrus Manus said:

Can i find card thinner than 1/16? 

If you mean styrene sheets then yes, of course. Evergreen makes sheets as thin as .005 in. (0.13mm).

On cutting styrene, for a straight cut, score it first with a sharp knife. The styrene will break cleanly on the scored line.

For curves, I use scissors but cut wide of the line and sand the sheet to the final shape.

Edited by VitusBering

Evergreen also makes styrene strips.  However, if I was going to do what you are doing, I would use wood.  You will get better compound curves.

As Steven mentioned, the deck of a nef is higher than that of a longship.  The nef is a cargo ship whereas the longship is not.  Even the Viking knarr, which the nef is closer to than the longship, has a lower deck.  Checking my Werner Zimmerman nef plans against a knarr, I find the deck is almost at the top of the gunwale.  Also as Steven mentioned, you would want to put some under deck thru-beams to support the deck.

The attached photo shows the thru-beams better than Steven's photo.  I don't know where I got the pic, so I cannot properly credit it, but I believe it is of the Zimmerman model.  The thru-beams are circled.

NEFMODEL.jpg.74a6c4f49457e363d4aaa5795eb3c257.jpg

The curve of the bow and stern would have to be altered to reflect the proper nef angle and probably to raise it up high enough to accomodate the additional freeboard,

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Thank you for the suggestion. However, i don't think that would be possible for this particular iteration, as i am only scratchbuilding the castles. Like i previously mentioned, this build is not intended to be anything major. However, i would like to keep getting suggestions, because some of them might be possible even given the circumstances. 

We have never seen the deck of a nef. That being said, we do know where the deck would have been due to the through timbers, which i will fabricate out of card. 

I also agree with your comment about the freeboard. This is a ship that really needs to be a complete scratch build, which is why i begrudgingly accepted the fact that the longship-turned-nef would not bear anything more than a passing resemblance to the real thing. 

OK, taking on board (sorry!) the constraints imposed by the plastic model, that it's impossible to achieve all the changes that may be desirable for historical accuracy etc, plus the public the model is intended for (i.e. people who don't know - and probably wouldn't care - about the things that distinguish a nef from a longship with castles added), I think it's just a matter of seeing what's possible - to get as close as you can to what you have in mind - and don't sweat the small stuff (even, though it pains me to say it, to the point of leaving the mast step as it is).

Steven

PS: You might consider changing the date a bit - the earliest date I can find for a nef with castles is 1225 (though the seal of Dunwich is dated at circa 1200, that circa covers a lot of ground).

Edited by Louie da fly