Holy Ghost 1227 by Ferrus Manus - FINISHED - Revell - 1/50 - PLASTIC - English Nef

Options for the ship's layout:  

2 members have voted

1. 1. what should i do?

• Build as a viking longship
    • Partially scratchbuild into a nef
    • something else entirely??

image.thumb.jpeg.5208e396d2a949f6cc3e36245c9cf795.jpeg

There are several things wrong with this picture. 1.) the anchor rope looks terrible, and 2.) the cross-beam for the anchor is comically long, i would assume nearly to the point of rendering the anchor non-functional. I fixed both of those issues.

image.thumb.jpeg.531235979a08b48e97aabcda7bb28a52.jpeg

I did some hacksaw surgery on the anchor stock, and i stained the anchor line, and set it in a relatively realistic position in relation to the anchor. You see that one coil that seems to be there for no reason, and doesn't have an attached rigging line? That's the anchor's sounding cable. The reason i put it there instead of laying it on top of the anchor is that i didn't want the line to obscure the glorious stain-job on the anchor rope.

The windlass bars, which are friction-fitted into the windlass drum:

20230914_141924.thumb.jpg.7984e1f0f58cea5453ae582dc35d6f02.jpg

Notice how the first bar is purposely shot through the drum and resting on the deck. This windlass bar is the most important thing on the ship, because it is the only thing preventing the drum from uncoiling, releasing the halyard tackle and causing the yard to come crashing down into the deck. 

These are the ladders, which i honestly expected to look worse than they do.

20230914_141856.thumb.jpg.9ca7a89fc2292846dcf0626b43c931a2.jpg

Edited by Ferrus Manus

Alright guys. The flag was printed and made in the usual fashion. The difference between this and other flags i have made is in how it was attached to the flag stick. Instead of using a halyard, i simply tied the flag at several points to the stick.

image.thumb.jpeg.728dd9f1b8db6af82a5e343f465b796a.jpeg

The flagpole on the ship:

image.thumb.jpeg.1dce478523fcce2eaeffcb499a329ac2.jpeg

You know what that means?

It's DONE!! 

20230916_115344.thumb.jpg.d70535919cf8e6d4f061450bf900d676.jpg

This is an interesting time, because this is the first time in quite a while (Over a year??) that I haven't had a new project that i have already started or am about to start. Nothing on the modelling bench, nothing in a stash somewhere, nothing in the mail. I guess i will have to adjust to taking a (probably short) break, at least for a while.

Thank you to all (especially Steven) who watched me take a significant first step into the realm of scratchbuilding. 

Until next time, fair winds and calm seas.

Edited by Ferrus Manus

Congratulations , well done my friend. 

:cheers:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                 Hannah Ship in Bottle-Amati 1:300 : The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20

Current Build:   The Mayflower: Amati 

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Next....a Cog/Kogge?  :cheers:

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Congratulations!  Nicely done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

• 3 weeks later...