VIOLIN block

Go to solution Solved by allanyed,

• Solution

Hi Bill,

What nation and which lines are you referring to for the long tackle blocks (fiddle blocks)? I cannot speak for earlier dates or nations, but according to James Lees on page 68 of The Masting and Rigging of English Ships of War, fiddle blocks  were used from 1719 until 1806.  On page 166 he describes them being used on yard arms and where ordinary double blocks could foul up.   Regarding those on the yard arm, before and after that period two single blocks were stropped together.  Hope this helps

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Bill,

To my knowledge there are only three (small) sizes of these properly-shaped "violin blocks" (double blocks) available from Syren Ship Models. There may be others available but I have yet to discover other quality sources. Here's a link:

(https://syrenshipmodelcompany.com/boxwood-rigging-blocks.php#!/New-improved-9-32-7mm-Boxwood-Fiddle-block-Laser-Cut-Kit-Build-it-yourself/p/39688217/category=5764703

If the scale you need can't be found among these three options, then I believe you'll need to scratch them, which could be a Big Pain with lots of delicate carving involved. In the photo below my arrow points to the Syren Fiddle Blocks I used on a recent model. These accurately fashioned blocks are made from boxwood; I stain them a reddish hue to simulate Chestnut, a typical wood used for rigging blocks for centuries. As you can see, all the other blocks in the photo are the same color (excepting the upper deadeyes).

In this photo, located near the tip of a main course yardarm, the violin block works to lift the yardarm (inner, small part) and the larger part (outer) guides a main topsail's tack control rope.

Hope this helps! (but humbled apologies if you know all this info already).

CAMFiddleBlock.jpg.fbf6d4ead031675926d782c64618e4d7.jpg

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

2 hours ago, hollowneck said:

In this photo, located near the tip of a main course yardarm, the violin block works to lift the yardarm (inner, small part) and the larger part (outer) guides a main topsail's tack control rope.

Lees (or me😀) may have this wrong or it may just be a matter of terminology but on page 80 and page 91 of The Masting and Rigging of British Ships of War he describes the larger lower block of the pair, or larger sheave if a fiddle block, as used for the topsail sheet, not a tack.  He makes no mention of there being a tack for the topsails.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

32 minutes ago, allanyed said:

Lees (or me😀) may have this wrong or it may just be a matter of terminology but on page 80 and page 91 of The Masting and Rigging of British Ships of War he describes the larger lower block of the pair, or larger sheave if a fiddle block, as used for the topsail sheet, not a tack.  He makes no mention of there being a tack for the topsails.

Allan

You are correct Allan. Topsails have no tack. The sheet holds them confined to the lower yard.

Regards,

Henry

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

7 hours ago, allanyed said:

the larger lower block of the pair, or larger sheave if a fiddle block, as used for the topsail sheet, not a tack. 

I stand corrected, the larger portion of the block is, indeed, a sheet block and not for a tack! So perhaps only half my advice may be helpful to Bill (sourcing violin blocks), the other half - not so much.

Thanks for the correction Alan and Henry. I'm obviously still learning the ropes.🤭

I love the photo of the blockmakers workshop sign: there's so much information in that beautifully-carved tableau!

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

6 hours ago, Bill Jackson said:

Thank you all for your time and replys. The galleon I am currently building is from 1558 and a Spanish Galleon.

I see (again) the manufacturer has made a error. Will it never end???

Bill

Hi Bill,

It will not end: there are virtually no contemporary models from that era, no technical drawings of specific ships. 
So: any model of an early spanish galleon is a product of knowledge, and fantasy. And the ratio of those two does vary between kitmakers.

So, forgetvthe idea of building an exact model, shop around in pictures and build something that looks like the picture, and is pleasing your own eye. But don’t get annoyed by the ‘an other error, again’.

Even kits of well documented ships have errors (small or large). You can go down the lane of research, but even then, you will for ever have the doubt whether you followed the correct source.

Try googling the dutch maritime painters of around 1600, they have proven to be pretty spot on when it comes to depicting ships of the period, and they did some spanish galleons of that era as well. For earlier ships: do what you like :)

Jan

21 hours ago, amateur said:

Hi Bill,

It will not end: there are virtually no contemporary models from that era, no technical drawings of specific ships. 
So: any model of an early spanish galleon is a product of knowledge, and fantasy. And the ratio of those two does vary between kitmakers.

So, forgetvthe idea of building an exact model, shop around in pictures and build something that looks like the picture, and is pleasing your own eye. But don’t get annoyed by the ‘an other error, again’.

Even kits of well documented ships have errors (small or large). You can go down the lane of research, but even then, you will for ever have the doubt whether you followed the correct source.

Try googling the dutch maritime painters of around 1600, they have proven to be pretty spot on when it comes to depicting ships of the period, and they did some spanish galleons of that era as well. For earlier ships: do what you like :)

Jan

Thanks Jan.. I will look around at various pictures but pictures are from the artist's perspectives and oftertimes are inaccurate as well.

On 10/22/2023 at 6:30 PM, amateur said:

Try Adam Willaerts and Cornelis Verbeeck.

Both Dutch painters active around 1600. Both known in their time and now for rather accurate depictions of ships, including correct depiction of the rigging of those ships.

Jan

Thanks Jan I will look for their works.