Cheerful build query

Go to solution Solved by glbarlow,

Hi guys

I'm hoping one of you Cheerful builders could give me some advise please? I have added the rabbet strip and cut out the two stem pieces. However, their is a small gap where it meets the false keel. Is this going to be an issue? If so, how would be the best way to proceed? Should i just glue and then clamp it to shape? Also i cannot see why there were two smaller stem pieces provided. Is one used elsewhere, and if so where, please? Sorry, but my first attempt at something like this.

Many thanks in advance.

1Q4A2015.jpg

1Q4A2016.jpg

Edited by CaptnBirdseye

Hi Captn, this is how I went about attaching the stem. Managed not to break anything. The second part that is the same is a spare. I’m assuming because I still have that piece.

IMG_7271.thumb.jpeg.80359d8779440d39ead1a235230ba12b.jpeg

Regards……..Paul 

Completed Builds   Glad Tidings Model Shipways. -   Nordland Boat. Billings Boats . -  HM Cutter Cheerful-1806  Syren Model Ship Company. 

Sounds like Paul solved the problem, but there is no false keel in your photo, just the keel and the piece with slots for the bulkheads above the keel so it was confusing when first reading your post.  Most likely a terminology issue and happy the problem was solved. 

Allan 

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

• Solution

You should eliminate the gap by sanding inside the curve of the stem as needed to create the fit.  I had the same issue with mine. It’s important to get the right fit for planking the bow into the rabbet and the only way to do that is reduce inside of the stem. No way to force it. 

You’ll want to taper the stem as well, I recall Chuck explains that in the monograph. And that is an extra part. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

10 hours ago, allanyed said:

Sounds like Paul solved the problem, but there is no false keel in your photo, just the keel and the piece with slots for the bulkheads above the keel so it was confusing when first reading your post.  Most likely a terminology issue and happy the problem was solved. 

Allan 

Sorry probably worded incorrectly, but that is the front of the false keel.

9 hours ago, glbarlow said:

You should eliminate the gap by sanding inside the curve of the stem as needed to create the fit.  I had the same issue with mine. It’s important to get the right fit for planking the bow into the rabbet and the only way to do that is reduce inside of the stem. No way to force it. 

You’ll want to taper the stem as well, I recall Chuck explains that in the monograph. And that is an extra part. 

Thank you. When you explain it like that, it seems the obvious thing to do. My inexperience shows, but would rather ask than get it wrong at this early stage. 

Hi Captn, I never had any fitment issues with my kit so I apologize if I steered you wrong. Good luck with your build. It was a lot of fun 

Regards……..Paul 

Completed Builds   Glad Tidings Model Shipways. -   Nordland Boat. Billings Boats . -  HM Cutter Cheerful-1806  Syren Model Ship Company. 

2 hours ago, CaptnBirdseye said:

but would rather ask

Nothing wrong with asking, that’s the beauty of the forum.  Lots of reference guides.

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

2 hours ago, CaptnBirdseye said:

that is the front of the false keel.

The false keel is a long thin strip you’ll add only to the bottom of the keel

Regards,

Glenn

Glenn is correct.  One more drawing regarding terminology showing HMS Bristol (50) in png and pdf.  PDF is much more clear.

Allan

Keelfalsekeeletc..PNG.8561baf27cb3cc76e7c77cb1903ba6ff.PNGKeel, false keel, etc..PDF

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

The cutter Cheerful as well as many small cutters from this era did NOT have a false keel.   Please disregard that info so as to not get confused with your dilema.  But as to your issue at hand and considering the terminology... you probably just need to sand back the aft side of the stem assembly.  Basically sand where it initially touches the BH former rabbet strip.   This will easily close up the gap above it and below where it initially touches.   It doesnt even have to be completely closed up as long as you get a decent glue joint for most of the length of the rabbet strip along the stem assembly.  Remember to have fun with the project.  I also encourage you to start a build log.  I couldnt find one but it would be so much easier for the folks who have built the Cheerful to help you as you proceed.

Chuck

EDIT:  My bad, the false keel I was thinking of is the one I added to Winchelsea, not Cheerful. At least I was correct regarding the stem. Although of course he better described how.

Just to echo Chuck. Start a build log, many will follow and help. Also identify other Cheerful build logs and the help they will bring. Being new and inexperienced, as you said, is all the more reason to maintain a log. 

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

Chuck,

Thanks!!  I was going to ask if small vessels like cutters would have had a false keel so thanks for pointing this out😀  In the case of Cheerful was it because the keel does not sit flat but rises fore and aft (ZAZ6467), or, ships' boats aside, was having no false keel typical for cutters and similar size vessels?  

Thanks again.

Allan

19 hours ago, Chuck said:

The cutter Cheerful as well as many small cutters from this era did NOT have a false keel.   Please disregard that info so as to not get confused with your dilema.  But as to your issue at hand and considering the terminology... you probably just need to sand back the aft side of the stem assembly.  Basically sand where it initially touches the BH former rabbet strip.   This will easily close up the gap above it and below where it initially touches.   It doesnt even have to be completely closed up as long as you get a decent glue joint for most of the length of the rabbet strip along the stem assembly.  Remember to have fun with the project.  I also encourage you to start a build log.  I couldnt find one but it would be so much easier for the folks who have built the Cheerful to help you as you proceed.

Chuck

Thanks for your input Chuck. As you designed it it is always worth listening to. I had thought to do a build log-especially due to the level of difficulty, and with that, the new skills to learn at least for for me- i thought i would get a bit of the build under my belt first. 

Chers Gray

Edited by CaptnBirdseye