Lady Isabella by Woodartist - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - 80 foot Zulu

As a newbie, I made a Newbie mistake, I was given a Model Shipways kit for the USS Constitution. Despite a lot of advice to the contrary I started in. I got quite a ways before I realized I had made enough mistakes that impacted the ability to finish it successfully. I trashed it, and started a scratch build, I have worked on it for two months and so far all is well, in large part due to the build logs of Der Alta Rentner, MTBediz, and JSGerner,  however, I need a break from the Conny. So I looked for another boat to build that was more suitable to a Novice. The reviews and build logs for the Lady Isabella were interesting and I thought they would give me some needed experience before I started planking the main hull of the Conny. I will not replicate the excellent build logs of DB789, James H, and Blue Ensign but will make some comments from a Novice perspective. The instructions by Chris Watton, Vanguard Models have excellent pictures and precise steps and language. Instruction #3 should include a note that part #58 when installed needs to extend beyond the superstructure. If you were to put it upside down, the panels 56 and 57 would not be flush with the top of #58. That is a mistake, I probably would have made if I had not had so many mistakes on Conny 1. If you dry fit all the 4 parts prior to gluing that becomes obvious. The bulk heads are precisely laser cut and the bevels are premarked. Although the instruction 5, advises to fit and glue the bulkheads in place on the keel, I would recommend that after you have beveled 1-3 and 12-14 bulkheads, dry fit them and then, bevel parts 16-19, and dry fit them with the three fore bulkhead and three aft bulkheads before gluing in the bulkheads. The aft bulkhead fillers are extremely fragile. Other build logs indicated that the builders had broken the filler pieces so I took that to heart and used a thin file and filed them so that they fit smoothly. None of them broke. I then dry fit all the remaining bulkheads, but did not glue them. I dry fit the Lower Floor and the  Upper Floor, then turned the keel upside down and glued in the remaining unglued bulkheads. That ensured the bulkheads were perfectly fit. Once all the bulkheads glue-up had dried I glued in Lower Floor and The Bottom Floor. So far it is a pleasure to work on this new boat.

IMG_20231231_113655.jpg

IMG_20231231_113216.jpg

IMG_20231231_113256.jpg

IMG_20231231_114715.jpg

IMG_20231231_125145.jpg

19 hours ago, woodartist said:

As a newbie, I made a Newbie mistake, I was given a Model Shipways kit for the USS Constitution. Despite a lot of advice to the contrary I started in. I got quite a ways before I realized I had made enough mistakes that impacted the ability to finish it successfully. I trashed it, and started a scratch build, I have worked on it for two months and so far all is well, in large part due to the build logs of Der Alte Rentner, MTBediz, and JSGerner,  however, I need a break from the Conny. So I looked for another boat to build that was more suitable to a Novice.

Say it isn't so!  I was counting on you, as the only other Newbie, to keep me company on my build of the Constitution.  Not having seen a post from you in a while, I did a look-see, and learned you've abandoned ship.  That is sad news to me, but I'll follow this build to see how you fare.  

Best of luck on the new build.

and Happy New Year.

Peter (aka Der Alte Rentner)

I finished the fairing and inserted the extra blocks on bulkhead 7 that supports planking. I must have bought one of the early models because my parts numbers are not consistent with the instruction manual. I glued the center section of the keel. The little block clamps work really well.

IMG_20240101_103051.jpg

IMG_20240101_103059.jpg

IMG_20240101_103105.jpg

IMG_20240101_113313.jpg

18 hours ago, woodartist said:

I finished the fairing and inserted the extra blocks on bulkhead 7 that supports planking. I must have bought one of the early models because my parts numbers are not consistent with the instruction manual. I glued the center section of the keel. The little block clamps work really well.

Looking good. 

I think that the numbers were wrong on these parts in my Zulu kit too, but clear enough what parts went where from the photos in the manual. Funny that this was the Vanguard fishing boat that i was the least interested in building, but now she is complete she is one of my favourites…

Dan

Current Build: HM Gun Brig Adder (Vanguard Models, 1:64)

Previous Builds: Fifie (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Nisha (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Zulu (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Saucy Jack (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Erycina (Vanguard Models, 1:64), HMS Alert (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Grecian (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Ranger (Vanguard Models, 1:64)

Waiting to be Built: Speedy (Vanguard Models, 1:64)

5 hours ago, DB789 said:

Looking good. 

I think that the numbers were wrong on these parts in my Zulu kit too, but clear enough what parts went where from the photos in the manual. Funny that this was the Vanguard fishing boat that i was the least interested in building, but now she is complete she is one of my favourites…

Dan, This boat has been fun and a really well thought out kit with precision materials. It will certainly not been my last Vanguard fishing boat.

They’re fantastic kits and the end result looks so good even when built by someone with limited model making skills such as me. That’ll be why I’m currently building my sixth Vanguard fishing boat and eighth Vanguard boat. 

Dan

Current Build: HM Gun Brig Adder (Vanguard Models, 1:64)

Previous Builds: Fifie (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Nisha (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Zulu (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Saucy Jack (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Erycina (Vanguard Models, 1:64), HMS Alert (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Grecian (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Ranger (Vanguard Models, 1:64)

Waiting to be Built: Speedy (Vanguard Models, 1:64)

First hull planking completed on one side,  the last plank installed was cut to fit from a piece of cherry, I had laying around. It was a hair thicker than the 1mm lime wood but it will easily sand smooth when fry. This was my first planking experience and I learned a lot. Still have not figured out ticking completely but I have managed to get it done without any major gaps.

IMG_20240106_125346.jpg

IMG_20240106_125407.jpg

IMG_20240106_125417.jpg

IMG_20240108_150911.jpg

IMG_20240108_150918.jpg

IMG_20240108_150955.jpg

The first hull is now complete on both sides and sanded. The second side went much better ad did not need filler like the first side. Starting to  better understand the plank bending and fitting process, even thou this hull was complex or severe like many others it was a great example for me to learn the process and have some success. I have also inserted the keel alignment pins. Will be ready tomorrow to add the additional keel parts to form a rabbet for the second hull.IMG_20240111_144913.thumb.jpg.937826492781fbd6b0feb8ebc1cacb58.jpg

IMG_20240111_135809.jpg

IMG_20240111_135817.jpg

IMG_20240111_140648.jpg

Looking at these pictures, I am reminded that I did actually attempt a wooden model ship a number of decades ago.  I can't remember the name of the boat, but it was a two hull planking project like this.  My results were similar to yours, but then I got busy with work and never got to the second hull.  Nice thing about this scheme is that you don't have to be terribly exacting on the first round of planking.  I wonder what happened to that kit?

I had a tool that made pushing those pins in fairly easy.  It was a spring loaded gizmo that you loaded a pin into and pushed the handle to drive home the pin.  It was a low tech nail gun, if you will.  No air needed, just elbow grease.  I don't know how tough the wood in your kit is, and you're done with this phase anyway, so it's academic now.  

Looking forward to good things from you sir.

Best

Peter

On 1/21/2024 at 2:20 PM, woodartist said:

Second planking is proceeding, although slowly. Still have not gotten the knack of using super glue without getting it on adjoining pieces.

I started using Gorilla brand super glue pen in the gel formulation.  Also got a box of those super thin extension tip.  The combination of those two nets some very consistent and predictable glue flow.  This should solve your problem.

image.png.315740e7a40a1aa86c834db83e1d231d.pngimage.png.318efc47ee3016a4514e81e0f98515ea.png

Edited by Der Alte Rentner
corrected typo.

The second planking is complete and I have filled the gaps and sanded, then filled the gaps and sanded and then filled the gaps and sanded. It is smooth and the 400 grit final sanding and no gaps. Started finishing the rudder. The pins in the rudder are1.5mm. It was a challenge. I had a little glue over run on one of the clamps. I will use a little acetone to remove it when I finish the other side.IMG_20240129_104740.thumb.jpg.945e53ff1b17bd250180b83280493382.jpgIMG_20240129_104749.thumb.jpg.7a4308be026c867be31a9847ddab77ff.jpgIMG_20240129_161844.thumb.jpg.44d6861e27c83e278380e0fa17c37e7a.jpg

12 hours ago, woodartist said:

I had a little glue over run on one of the clamps. I will use a little acetone to remove it when I finish the other side.

As soon as I saw the glue over run on the rudder, my first thought was how do you clean that up.  You addressed that, but as I contemplate all the small item gluing I'll be doing on Conny, the bigger question is, how do you avoid over run in the first place?  Further, since Super Glue sets so quickly, how do you accurately position these small pieces in the first place?  Any ideas?

To position the straps I inserted a pin in one of the holes in the strap and pulled it out after I had one of the pins nailed in place. I tried to glue the plate in place and then nail but I could not get it perfectly centered on the holes, so I temporarily pinned it and then nailed it in place and put a drop of CA on afterwards. The acetone does remove the glue but it will tarnish the brass if it gets on the brass. That may not matter if you intend to paint it. I used a Q tip to put the acetate on.

I improvised a large paper cup to use to mark the waterline. I used the calipers to measure where the line was on the plans and centered that distance on the paper cup. I used my power carver to center the hole in the cup to the size of the pencil. I re-checked the starting and ending point with the calipers after I drew in the line for both sides of the hull. I had my daughter hold the boat steady on the plastic base provided, which was necessary to get the line accurate. I hope to get it painted tomorrow.

IMG_20240131_112301.jpg

The painting is finished, I sprayed the rust below the waterline, then used a brush to paint the white stripe, added the rubbing rails, the brush painted the black, finished the area above the rails with pine green. Trying to decide whether to also use pine green on the interior sides and contrast that with the natural wood look for the posts and rails.

IMG_20240206_085847.jpg

IMG_20240211_113257.jpg

IMG_20240211_113334.jpg

IMG_20240211_113405.jpg

IMG_20240211_113433.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The steam winch completed. Some tips to make it easier: 1. sand the dowel before you cut it until the pieces fit on smoothly. It is much easier to sand while still one piece. 2. paint the pieces before assembly, then do touch up after completed. 3. after the wood circles are painted, re-drill the holes and the inserts will fit in better. 4. Do not install the top stem until after the circle inserts are completed, it is easier to be able to sit it flat when installing the inserts. 5. These inserts are fragile be careful, go slowly, and use fie tweezers to align inserts.

IMG_20240225_105917.jpg

IMG_20240225_111331.jpg

IMG_20240225_111647_Bokeh.jpg

IMG_20240225_112233.jpg

IMG_20240225_114221.jpg

Lady Issabelle is done until the sails arrive. I did not use the wood slings/for the bow sprint mast or the aft spar. Instead I made a metal ring that secures the spars. I have not tapered the spars yet.  This has bee a really fun build. Can not wait for the sails and the chance to rig my first boat.

IMG_20240308_115207.jpg

IMG_20240308_115215.jpg

IMG_20240308_115223.jpg

IMG_20240308_115234.jpg