HMS Spiraea and HMS Zinnia by king derelict - Mirage Hobby - 1/350 - PLASTIC - Flower-Class Corvettes

A little more progress to report. The remaining work on Spiraea suddenly seemed to come together quite quickly. I added the railings, Carley floats, boats and guns and I think she is almost finished.

The decals were added. Pretty basic and not one of the better bits of the kit. They took a lot of soaking and were reluctant to slide into place. They also needed a lot of solution to soften and sit down. Thankfully there were only a few to place.

RIMG2172.thumb.JPG.b7b5d1292160063844e13e8bbb2797ca.JPG

RIMG2173.thumb.JPG.b1ab940dd3141cfc017d3ab6df8872ca.JPG

RIMG2174.thumb.JPG.462d9a1c86d3b9539903d886acf1f45f.JPG

I need to put a matte coat on to finish it. I have the ensign to add but I am waiting to complete before doing that. In the meantime I am contemplating a couple of last items

- adding basic rigging. I am rather hamfisted at rigging and dread ruining the model trying. 

- air brushing a light coat of grey filter to merge the details together.

In the meantime I added some Sculptamold to the base to get the basic shape of the seascape. I wasn't going to risk using Spiraea in the wet Sculptamold so I made up the hull of HMS Pennywork and gave it a light coat of olive oil before pressing it into the base. 

RIMG2168.thumb.JPG.fcaf82d63c2357ef2ec8aa96f5015c6f.JPG

RIMG2169.thumb.JPG.36589c9c1d55022e064291496d2ed498.JPG

After 24 hours of drying I was happy that the hull popped out cleanly leaving a nice impression for the hull. Pennyworts hull has been cleaned in soapy water and put back in the box for later.

RIMG2170.thumb.JPG.02e4ca594ddafa7cfa063da3b1fea2f3.JPG

RIMG2171.thumb.JPG.65fea91888319020cd8fc4016ce8a3b6.JPG

The base still needs a little more time to dry and then I'll smooth it a bit by adding a mix of tissue and diluted white glue and also form the details of the waves. I need to start thinking about how to work the spray. Cotton wool seems a possibility but I need to experiment first.

Thanks for looking in and the likes

Alan

RIMG2175.JPG

Excellent work Alan,    sea scapes   terrify  me  -  but  you  look  to  be  having a  hold  on it  -  keep up the great work  mate.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

On 4/16/2024 at 7:21 PM, Old Collingwood said:

Excellent work Alan,    sea scapes   terrify  me  -  but  you  look  to  be  having a  hold  on it  -  keep up the great work  mate.

OC.

Thank you OC. I'm still learning. I can see what I want in my head but getting it made is still a bit of an adventure. Good fun though and thats teh main thing

Alan

I'm still slowly working away at this one. We have had a bit of down time on the test stand so I had a few hours during the last few mornings before work.

I covered the base with toilet paper soaked in diluted white glue and pushed it around with the brush to make the wake and small wave patterns on the surface. Once this had dried I gave it a coat of gesso ready for painting.

RIMG2179.thumb.JPG.97fb88de00bea526958a1f17b149f91c.JPG

I continued with Zinnia, painting the lower hull and deck. I am working on masking the decks ready for the first coat of paint on the hull. The kit instructions call for a three colour scheme of light and dark grey with Western Approaches green. Zinnia has the early bridge configuration so I am not sure how much of the PE will be used.

RIMG2182.thumb.JPG.c7ac43d8cb390ca45a6b561109f475d3.JPG

I'm trying to decide on the base colours for the sea. I'm aiming for North Atlantic with overcast skies so I am leaning towards dark grey / green rather than blue grey. I need to go back and look at some deployment photos.

Thanks for looking in and for the likes and comments

Alan

It was time to start adding colour to the seascape. I started with a mid green which actually looked quite promising as I brushed it on. But when it dried I thought it looked far too green and bright.

RIMG2189.thumb.JPG.8266b6f9736b41e3ef5360458245f10d.JPG

So I added a black wash and that was far too dark

\RIMG2190.thumb.JPG.79523ca6ababbf70f109e024cbf11ed4.JPG

Next up was a mid grey coat which left the green to show through in places. It started looking promising again. Lighter greens were added to the wave tops and blended in. It feels like this might be back on track

RIMG2191.thumb.JPG.d6b74513b9fc48b8b92a2c281fa7de63.JPG

Then a light green added to the wave tops and wakes. White blended in and I think its starting to look quite good.

RIMG2195.thumb.JPG.506c1bf8649992512ee9928dd8c221fa.JPG

I'll let this dry and then on with the gloss medium. I was beginning to think I couldn't get this off the ground but I'm beginning to like how its working out. 

RIMG2196.thumb.JPG.9b2058d9dc36781daca0f1abba58c4e1.JPG

Thanks for looking in and the likes and comments.

Alan

If you consider using cotton and gell for waves make sure the latter is of those that will not get yellowish over time.

Personally i consider cotton as an emergency solution as its white color is not white enough, just compare it to white acrylic and see the difference

Edited by mikegr

13 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

Check out Hollowneck's HMS Sphinx discussion on making sea scape for his ship diorama starting at Post #400.

Thank you for the link Jack. There are some very useful techniques being shown there.

wow his sea is so good it’s almost depressing me. I think I might burn my seascapes 

Seriously that’s marvelous 

Alan

These 2pm to 2am shifts are really beating me up so not much else is getting done at the moment. Hopefully only another week and then back to something a bit more reasonable

I have been using the limited spare time available to experiment with ideas for spray and wave tops. 

I played with clear silicone sealant but it didn't really dry clear and was hard to work. I had read that it could be diluted to a jelly consistency with IPA but mine didn't seem to do that. I tried Lexel clear sealant which does dry crystal clear and glossy but didn't really provide any better options for the seascape.

Next up was gloss medium mixed with micro balloons. The micro balloons gave the medium a white colouring and stiffness to create dimensional wave tops. Curiously it dried matt. Initially I thought this might be the way forward but looking at the results for a few days I am not so sure.

Then I tried cotton wool teased apart and coated with dilute white glue. This provides something that can be worked with a brush into approximate shapes and further moulded by hand as it dries. I think it might be possible to make candidate shapes on a temporary base and transfer to the diorama for final shaping and installation when dry. That would avoid getting medium all over places it shouldn't be. The following photos show the micro ballons and medium, cotton wool spray and Lexel sealant.

RIMG0005.thumb.JPG.498891ba52003c38f7d0856020b97abf.JPG

RIMG0006.thumb.JPG.b56ce59705aebe22f018a4a8b666cf4e.JPG

More cotton wool experiments looking at creating the skeins of bubbles seen in turbulent water and more spray

RIMG0002.thumb.JPG.6f1dd413a490ea263ff404dcd99cbdba.JPG

RIMG0003.thumb.JPG.e1cac1a23c9b9c4453575f0ce98b17c4.JPG

I like the surface bubble effects. The spray looks promising. Not all results are good but they are quick to create and working off model means the best can be picked.

I got some polyester cotton wool material used for stuffing teddy bears and tried that. It is a little stiffer than cotton wool so the results have more depth which I like. It is whiter than the cotton wool and it has a bit of a sparkle to it. I tried spray, bubbles and wave caps and I think with a bit more work they may be the best option

RIMG0001.thumb.jpg.abce54824a0e091d0ba51571e8cc985a.jpg

RIMG0004.thumb.JPG.f0dc5379324da86e651063c491650656.JPG

Thanks for looking in and likes and comments.

Alan

You  have more  guts  than me  for  having a go  at  water spray  etc  - I think  its really difficult to  get right.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

42 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

You  have more  guts  than me  for  having a go  at  water spray  etc  - I think  its really difficult to  get right.

OC.

OC, you are right. Smoke, explosions, water spray are all exceptionally difficult - at least to me. So far I like this polyester material, it has a bit more strength to the fibres so it can be used in thinner more diaphanous (oooh errr) pieces which helps with the illusion. Its also not so "hairy". If I have time this weekend I plan to start the webs of bubbles and wave tops and see how it goes. In the worst case ..... I can always stuff a teddy

Alan