HM Cutter Trial 1790 by BrochBoating - Vanguard Models - 1:64

Sorry, but my eyes are not the best any more, was not sure if you tied them up already or if they all are just kept in place for the moment. So it´s not a big deal anyway. Cool. But looks really nice :)

Micha

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." Jacques - Yves Cousteau.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Current Build:

"Roar Ege" by Billing Boats - 1:25

On Hold:

n/a

Finished:

n/a

8 minutes ago, Scottish Guy said:

Sorry, but my eyes are not the best any more, was not sure if you tied them up already or if they all are just kept in place for the moment. So it´s not a big deal anyway. Cool. But looks really nice :)

Micha

Appreciate the spot. They're just fed through the chains at the moment and loose clipped to try and stop knocks. With lots of excess ;).

Simon.

Current build HM Cutter Trial - Vanguard Models

Previous: Saucy Jack - Vanguard Models Polaris - OcCre

In the stash:

HMS Speedy v2023 - Vanguard Models

Nisha - Vanguard Models

HM Gun Brig Adder - Vanguard Models

Got you, should start learning stuff like that myself :D sailing ships are different to space ships (they don´t have rigging or masts) but I´m looking forward to it. I always loved sail boats / ships / yachts. Hence why I started sailing and windsurfing. I loved the two Atlantic crossings and would like to do one more or even a circumnavigation before I hit 80...

But yeah, I really have to learn about rigging and ratlines myself. Since my scratch build of the HR 50 / 57 has to be postponed till I found a solution for creating the hull I might start with a Cutty Sark or the build as Ferreira and with a Barquantine rigging (looks really interesting).

Micha

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." Jacques - Yves Cousteau.

Current Build:

On Hold:

n/a

Finished:

n/a

17 minutes ago, Scottish Guy said:

Got you, should start learning stuff like that myself :D sailing ships are different to space ships (they don´t have rigging or masts) but I´m looking forward to it. I always loved sail boats / ships / yachts. Hence why I started sailing and windsurfing. I loved the two Atlantic crossings and would like to do one more or even a circumnavigation before I hit 80...

But yeah, I really have to learn about rigging and ratlines myself. Since my scratch build of the HR 50 / 57 has to be postponed till I found a solution for creating the hull I might start with a Cutty Sark or the build as Ferreira and with a Barquantine rigging (looks really interesting).

Micha

I envy your sailing experience. I've only done very little a long time ago but really enjoyed it. Very happy to live next to the sea though.

I'd highly recommend getting a Vanguard Models kit of one size or another. From my research only Vanguard and Syren make lovely kits.

Simon.

In the stash:

Nisha - Vanguard Models

35 minutes ago, BrochBoating said:

Very happy to live next to the sea though.

That´s why we live in a small fishing village just outside of Elgin. I love it here, three minutes walk to the harbour and both beaches (east and west beach). I love walking down there, watching dolphins passing by (sometimes not even three meter from the quay) and the fishing boats going out. JUst listening to the waves is sooo soothing... and the smell... :D

38 minutes ago, BrochBoating said:

From my research only Vanguard and Syren make lovely kits.

That might be but I´m not sure if they offer any of the ships I would like to build and with Vanguard I´m pretty sure I can´t afford those right now. Syren I never found to be honest. Tried a couple of times to find a set but can´t find a homepage from the manufacturer.

Micha

Current Build:

On Hold:

n/a

Finished:

n/a

12 hours ago, Scottish Guy said:

That´s why we live in a small fishing village just outside of Elgin. I love it here, three minutes walk to the harbour and both beaches (east and west beach). I love walking down there, watching dolphins passing by (sometimes not even three meter from the quay) and the fishing boats going out. JUst listening to the waves is sooo soothing... and the smell... :D

That might be but I´m not sure if they offer any of the ships I would like to build and with Vanguard I´m pretty sure I can´t afford those right now. Syren I never found to be honest. Tried a couple of times to find a set but can´t find a homepage from the manufacturer.

Micha

We have a beach sheltered by the harbour wall that we swim from regularly and on a really good day the seals come to see what we’re doing. Still waiting to spot Orca’s here but there were some a couple of weeks ago, whilst away of course. 

Being a smaller, newer, company there is less choice but I think the quality makes it worthwhile anyway. Perhaps try one of the fishing boats when you can. They’re a world away from Billings etc. 

https://syrenshipmodelcompany.com

I can’t afford them either lol. 

Simon.

In the stash:

Nisha - Vanguard Models

Made a jig for the shrouds. Working ok so far.

IMG_4098.thumb.jpeg.2ac0247327c8f13570edcba61866af30.jpeg

IMG_4099.thumb.jpeg.77ddd3caafa67b68911fab33cdafddbe.jpeg

IMG_4100.thumb.jpeg.24be36fe47edc391ef41c17c44840942.jpeg

IMG_4101.thumb.jpeg.1cc504bd95423a2da1e0a05a98fc68d4.jpeg

Simon.

In the stash:

Nisha - Vanguard Models

Mark 2 of the jig after one shroud.

IMG_4103.thumb.jpeg.8a276d6a75037801fcbc4b51db3a5773.jpeg

Backing the same but dead eyes attached with pins so they don’t rotate. Makes tying off very quick and easy with regular drops of liquid CA to stop and unravelling. Using round end tweezers each turn to push down onto previous thread to keep things neat. 

Okay there are only eight here but this is much better than my last effort. 

IMG_4104.thumb.jpeg.56c25fa373bb52c1eb8b31c6f84e9646.jpeg

IMG_4105.thumb.jpeg.81ba75834eb72173eb217f811eb17c4c.jpeg

IMG_4107.thumb.jpeg.26ed181238c7b4558cbb223f881a20dd.jpeg

Simon.

In the stash:

Nisha - Vanguard Models

10 hours ago, BrochBoating said:

We have a beach sheltered by the harbour wall that we swim from regularly and on a really good day the seals come to see what we’re doing. Still waiting to spot Orca’s here but there were some a couple of weeks ago, whilst away of course. 

Hi Simon, I was more lucky than you then hehe, we had here a pod of orcas last year and twice basking sharks. Seals we have even in the harbour, especially when the fishermen come home, I think they wait that some falls into the harbour basin.

10 hours ago, BrochBoating said:

Being a smaller, newer, company there is less choice but I think the quality makes it worthwhile anyway. Perhaps try one of the fishing boats when you can. They’re a world away from Billings etc. 

I guess so but still can´t afford those. Same with Vanguard, just not my league and tbh... I don´t even think my skill level yet. I´m happy when I finish my Roar Ege and it looks somehow fair and not completely wasted.

About your ratlines, I hope you know that your jig is cheating ;) hehe, nah, looks amazing. You are doing a really good job there Simon. I really like and enjoy watching your LOG. Unfortunately I returned to work today (after 6 month of being ill) so my building might slow down a bit now.

Micha

Current Build:

On Hold:

n/a

Finished:

n/a

You should see when I don’t cheat. Shocking!

Fair enough not yet but think of it differently that if you have a kit where the materials are first rate it makes it much easier to continue and finish :)

Thanks for your kind words I’m enjoying this one and think it’s a step ahead of the previous. I hope your return to work goes well and look forward to seeing your progress. 

Simon.

In the stash:

Nisha - Vanguard Models

Pleased with them :)

IMG_4109.thumb.jpeg.31f0bafb1675930bf6e937394e82de89.jpeg

Sure it' a very old tip but one of my favourites. Put a drop of liquid CA on the end of the thread to help make things easier getting through blocks.

Simon.

In the stash:

Nisha - Vanguard Models

Hurrah it’s Rat Line time. My favourite. 

Trying a different route this time. Printed lined paper and suitable scrap plank (6mm). Clamp the planks across the shrouds to keep them properly spaced then tie and brush with dilute PVA. 

Much quicker and seems neater so far. 

IMG_4146.thumb.jpeg.2480ead151168bf278e99d1e21b24a59.jpeg

IMG_4147.thumb.jpeg.4b5619eca1d460b86d1ae7326b193d5f.jpeg

IMG_4148.thumb.jpeg.1fb752a3e6c803fc83ba61214011468b.jpeg

IMG_4149.thumb.jpeg.3136154764b31b288409ab0ff91a3ed4.jpeg

Simon.

In the stash:

Nisha - Vanguard Models

26 minutes ago, BrochBoating said:

Why does it sound so... weird Simon? hehe

26 minutes ago, BrochBoating said:

Trying a different route this time. Printed lined paper and suitable scrap plank (6mm). Clamp the planks across the shrouds to keep them properly spaced then tie and brush with dilute PVA. 

You know that this is cheating ;) Simon, but I love it, smart thought and looks really good to me :D Kudos to you for this (will borrow this thought when I´m in the situation to do rat lines).

Micha

Current Build:

On Hold:

n/a

Finished:

n/a

1 hour ago, BrochBoating said:

Maybe better to hold off on the glue till all of them are tied. That way if you need to go back and fix one it is easier.

You are making good progress. Ratlines are also not my favourite part of the build.

56 minutes ago, Scottish Guy said:

smart thought and looks really good to me :D Kudos to you for this (will borrow this thought when I´m in the situation to do rat lines).

Thanks. I can't claim the thought unfortunately it's just a simpler adaptation (and lighter) of this thread. It is working very well though. Here's my first effort on the last boat.

image.thumb.jpeg.feaa58af11895021a767174a72e53001.jpeg

17 minutes ago, Thukydides said:

Maybe better to hold off on the glue till all of them are tied. That way if you need to go back and fix one it is easier.

I'm stuck on this. On one hand I totally agree. On the other I worry about them coming loose as I go along.

17 minutes ago, Thukydides said:

You are making good progress. Ratlines are also not my favourite part of the build.

Thank you. A long way to go but I'm pleased with the improvements on this one so far.

I've got about half of the port side done this morning before my back told me to stop. I use a fresh from the pack safety razor to trim with a very light pressure on the excess and even more gentle wipe of the blade over the joint. I found even a craft knife isn't close to being sharp enough for this.

image.thumb.jpeg.f5beb06434c2d59eabd5b83cd1e38375.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a368878f1cfca5696b7eb3d9b08a3fab.jpeg

Simon.

In the stash:

Nisha - Vanguard Models

6 minutes ago, chris watton said:

For snipping the rigging, especially ratlines, I have always use these Tamiya side cutters:

Tamiya 74035 Model Accessories - Cutting Pliers : Amazon.co.uk: Toys & Games

Thanks Chris I'll add them to the list. Happy to spend for quality tools but knowing what is quality can be hard.

Simon.

In the stash:

Nisha - Vanguard Models

Lower half of starboard side done and much better than port side as used a hairclip to hold shrouds spacing at the top. 

IMG_4172.thumb.jpeg.fdf3b7d59fec2784534794cc39ba5c9f.jpeg

IMG_4173.thumb.jpeg.967a784715ae14e8c808f79e456ecfd2.jpeg

IMG_4174.thumb.jpeg.9962c96f12533fd12dc795213e43cd8b.jpeg

Simon.

In the stash:

Nisha - Vanguard Models

Port side rat lines finished. Somewhat salvaged by using clips at the top as discovered for the starboard side so not as bad as thought might be the case. The lined paper wasn't used for spacing in the end, the scrap plank did that, but I found having it place helped stop the shrouds twisting around. Clipping one side of the two clamped planks to the paper helped this too. Can't clip both ends to the paper or there's not enough movement behind the shrouds to easily get thread through and back with help of tweezers.

IMG_4219.thumb.jpeg.bb226891ee11e7924b9d6737c9492c70.jpeg

The kink towards the stern looks much worse than it actually is.

IMG_4220.thumb.jpeg.562a8f39d0c4290a50bd71952ff70811.jpeg

Next to finish the starboard side.

Simon.

In the stash:

Nisha - Vanguard Models

What shall I say Simon, looks amazingly good. I knew you could make it, you just didn´t want to admit your great skills in doing rat lines hehe... but yes, it looks really good. The top bit is a bit narrow though but I don´t know, it just looks a bit narrow, I wouldn´t like to climb up there.

Micha

Current Build:

On Hold:

n/a

Finished:

n/a

2 hours ago, Scottish Guy said:

What shall I say Simon, looks amazingly good. I knew you could make it, you just didn´t want to admit your great skills in doing rat lines hehe... but yes, it looks really good. The top bit is a bit narrow though but I don´t know, it just looks a bit narrow, I wouldn´t like to climb up there.

Micha

That side is crewed by very small people ;) It is narrow. I'm hoping the other side is better but I suspect the real key was getting the shrouds more spaced at the top to begin with.

Simon.

In the stash:

Nisha - Vanguard Models

32 minutes ago, BrochBoating said:

That side is crewed by very small people ;) It is narrow. I'm hoping the other side is better but I suspect the real key was getting the shrouds more spaced at the top to begin with.

Don´t get me wrong Simon, you did a pretty good job there. Don´t listen to me, I´ve never done any rat lines yet so I´m the wrong one to assess anything comparable. But to me yours looks amazing. Well done my friend :D  I know you will rock the rest as well, pretty much I can learn from you there.

Micha

Current Build:

On Hold:

n/a

Finished:

n/a

Hi Simon, great work so far. I hope you don’t mind me giving a little criticism. 

I would personally suggest redoing the ratlines. They are currently not a uniform taper from top to bottom. I know it would be very annoying and a big step back, but it would be very worth it in the end.

I hope you don’t take this the wrong way, I just felt I had to tell you this as the rest of your build is really good. It would be a shame for you to build such an amazing model, only to be let down by the ratlines.

Kind regards,

Isaiah

11 hours ago, Isaiah said:

Hi Simon, great work so far. I hope you don’t mind me giving a little criticism. 

I would personally suggest redoing the ratlines. They are currently not a uniform taper from top to bottom. I know it would be very annoying and a big step back, but it would be very worth it in the end.

I hope you don’t take this the wrong way, I just felt I had to tell you this as the rest of your build is really good. It would be a shame for you to build such an amazing model, only to be let down by the ratlines.

Kind regards,

Isaiah

Thanks Isiah. As I said in the text the port side is uneven but a change I made when I did the starboard side improved this greatly. If you look a little further up you'll see the improvement from my last model and I'm very happy with that. I've learnt on this one and I'll learn more next time too.

Simon.

In the stash:

Nisha - Vanguard Models

So that's the starboard side finished too. No, not perfect but an improvement on the port side and a huge improvement over my last model so I'm happy with that.

IMG_4246.thumb.jpeg.2a078b504b83076d431578f6397e45b6.jpeg

Simon.

In the stash:

Nisha - Vanguard Models

A little more progress with the start of rigging. Slow and steady, trying to keep an eye on where both arms and hands are at all times! The liquid CA on the end of thread trick really comes into its own now. That and using clips to apply just a little weight to try and create the right, minimal, tension when needed.

IMG_4249.thumb.jpeg.d53ca33285742ea5a59f29623ca0f496.jpeg

IMG_4250.thumb.jpeg.c405055c69f0ac3efdb308815b57154d.jpeg

IMG_4252.thumb.jpeg.5dfcb8eaee0cb05a325d4ab71cf72ee0.jpeg

Simon.

In the stash:

Nisha - Vanguard Models