Oh, I forgot. 
I have all files for cannons in svg and stl including the rest of the carriage, barrels, wheels, etc. 

The entire carriage can be lasered then assembled in real wood any size and I have to be honest, the wood is crisper than resin at tiny sizes. 
Sorry, Im not assembling a .250” carriage sample… I’m too old for that. 😁

10 minutes ago, mediocremodeler said:

I have all files for cannons in svg and stl

What English and Spanish patterns, calibers and lengths do you have ?  Lengths are often a problem.  For example designated 9 foot barrels (108") are not 9 feet long overall, but rather closer to 119".  

Thanks

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

6 minutes ago, allanyed said:

What English and Spanish patterns, calibers and lengths do you have ?  Lengths are often a problem.  For example designated 9 foot barrels (108") are not 9 feet long overall, but rather closer to 119".  

Thanks

Allan

Lol

I’m no cannon expert, you know 100 times what I know about them. 
If you have a historically correct US, English or Spanish barrel and carriage file, send it to me and I’ll make it for you if I can use the file for myself. 

Mediocre

Ron's cannon drawings are top shelf and the printed pieces are fantastic.  

Regarding those for the Connie, did the museum curators offer you any detailed information?

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

This looks pretty good!  What is the scale?  Some kits now have gratings with laser cut holes and they look nice.  Maybe include a shallow cut to indicate the run of the battens on top of the ledges as the battens always run fore and aft.  Keep in mind that the openings should be no more than about 3" square.  A big plus to making the grating first is that you can then fit the coaming and head ledges to fit.  If the head ledges and coamings are made first and the gratings sanded to fit, there is the danger of there being open edges as in the second sketch below.

Allan

Gratings2.PNG.b79165a8a02dbdbe19451f6f0dceda34.PNG

Gratings.JPG.a6484d67cb0fdf6576138ab92c9a7208.JPG

4 hours ago, allanyed said:

This looks pretty good!  What is the scale?  Some kits now have gratings with laser cut holes and they look nice.  Maybe include a shallow cut to indicate the run of the battens on top of the ledges as the battens always run fore and aft.  Keep in mind that the openings should be no more than about 3" square.  A big plus to making the grating first is that you can then fit the coaming and head ledges to fit.  If the head ledges and coamings are made first and the gratings sanded to fit, there is the danger of there being open edges as in the second sketch below.

Allan

Gratings2.PNG.b79165a8a02dbdbe19451f6f0dceda34.PNG

Gratings.JPG.a6484d67cb0fdf6576138ab92c9a7208.JPG

Great info. 
I’m going to model the “correct “ version. 😁

Also 3 or less, got it. 

Allanyed-

Okay, first revision according to your advice. 
These proportions are the same as your diagram, but without head ledges and coaming, which (I believe) is framed on the ship. 
The “basketweave” can be delineated with a knife and ruler in a minute or two. 
Please let me know if this is good, in thebin with it. Thanks. 😁

01E62100-BA87-4F52-A305-C23599CEFFB6.jpeg

7DDA6D91-6497-43F1-A9FE-3CE7AA46906B.jpeg

Good looking rope! Keep in mind that your model rope is cable laid (left twist) vs the actual cannon depicted which has right hand laid rope. Just a technical point but one that's fun to know because on every ship you now visit you'll be looking for the lay of the rope!

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

On 3/13/2024 at 7:57 AM, mediocremodeler said:

The “basketweave” can be delineated with a knife and ruler in a minute or two. 

Since you have a laser, have you considered making pieces like these:

image.thumb.jpeg.0ecd96d651c54de4ecf311de49faf1c4.jpeg

... and laying battens in the slots?

Your laser cut gratings do look good as they are.  Nice square holes.  Some lasers don't do that very well at these small sizes.

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

17 hours ago, dvm27 said:

the actual cannon depicted which has right hand laid rope

FWIW, confirming Greg's observation, all the breech rope in the drawings in Caruana's The History of English Sea Ordnance are right hand twist rather than cable laid.

Allan

11 hours ago, Gregory said:

Since you have a laser, have you considered making pieces like these:

image.thumb.jpeg.0ecd96d651c54de4ecf311de49faf1c4.jpeg

... and laying battens in the slots?

Your laser cut gratings do look good as they are.  Nice square holes.  Some lasers don't do that very well at these small sizes.

Hadn’t considered it, but if you want some for the Rattlesnake, I’ll make them. Send me dimensions and what kind of wood you want. 
I have: oak, honey colored pine, walnut, spruce, and balsa. 
Mortgage is paid, don’t  need money. 🙂

Btw, does anyone know what size a pulley block for a 1776 cannon was in actuality??

56 minutes ago, allanyed said:

FWIW, confirming Greg's observation, all the breech rope in the drawings in Caruana's The History of English Sea Ordnance are right hand twist rather than cable laid.

Allan

Any idea how the lay of the rope affects the use/handling of the rope?

― Jimmy Buffett

With some thought, because a cable would have been laid up from ropes, it would have had the opposite twist of the ropes.

― Jimmy Buffett

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Gregory said:

Any idea how the lay of the rope affects the use/handling of the rope?

Hi Gregory

I have no idea if this was a traditional thing or there was some "scientific" reasoning behind this.   Lees mentions cable laid versus shroud laid rope regarding shrouds but gives no information as to why cable laid was sometimes used.  If they are indeed interchangeable, I would guess there is little, if any, effect.  Hopefully some member will have some historical information.

Allan

Edited by allanyed

Posted (edited)

As I said above, just the process of making a cable out of several ropes would have resulted in the opposite twist.

I answered my own question in that regard. 

I suppose the choice of one over the other, would be size..

Edited by Gregory

― Jimmy Buffett

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, mediocremodeler said:

For the sake of authenticity, there is no reference that I can find regarding whether the sheaves were bronze or wood. 
None were pulled up, and I don’t trust the reproductions on the reproduced boat. 

I can make them out of “bronze” or wood, but I don’t know which to do?

It depends on the period. In the 18th century I think they are mostly made of a wood that looks very dark (can't remember the name). Lots of examples if you go to the RMG site and search for blocks in the collection. I think if you wanted to do working sheaves your best bet would be brass ones and blacken them, though it ultimately depends on your scale.

14 minutes ago, Thukydides said:

It depends on the period. In the 18th century I think they are mostly made of a wood that looks very dark (can't remember the name). Lots of examples if you go to the RMG site and search for blocks in the collection. I think if you wanted to do working sheaves your best bet would be brass ones and blacken them, though it ultimately depends on your scale.

Thanks a lot for the info. Scale is 1/18 and boat was built in 1776 - US. 
Sounds like wood it is. 
Im going to go draw and burn one right now and see how it looks.