A seldom seen subject here. As I have a soft spot for those boats from the Venice lagoon and I will follow the progress. That book has been sitting on my shelf also for some time now - I think I bought in the bookshop 'Carta di Mare' in Venice or from Gilberto Penzo.

The 'Padiglione delle Barche' of the Museo Storico Navale in Venice preserve a couple of Bragozzi from the late 19th/early 20th century: https://www.maritima-et-mechanika.org/maritime/venezia/museonavalevenezia-3.html. I took a few pictures in case one day I also want to build one.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

3 hours ago, wefalck said:

A seldom seen subject here. As I have a soft spot for those boats from the Venice lagoon and I will follow the progress. That book has been sitting on my shelf also for some time now - I think I bought in the bookshop 'Carta di Mare' in Venice or from Gilberto Penzo.

The 'Padiglione delle Barche' of the Museo Storico Navale in Venice preserve a couple of Bragozzi from the late 19th/early 20th century: https://www.maritima-et-mechanika.org/maritime/venezia/museonavalevenezia-3.html. I took a few pictures in case one day I also want to build one.

Hi Wefalck , the book is wonderful, one of the rare monographs on Italian boats. I love the boats of the Adriatic Sea with the characteristic flat bottom and multicolored sails. I hope that soon you too will be able to build a Venetian sailing ship, the finished model will certainly not go unnoticed

Very nice to see this! I, too would like to build a model of one someday (torn between these or a Trabaccolo...). Marzari's book is superb; another is Penzo's, from 1992:  (They are very complimentary, with each having things the other doesn't cover; I'd say either stands alone well for model making).

image.jpeg.6346137314b987e82bd3cc44d1ffc1d0.jpeg

Lesser known than Venice of course, is Cessenatica (south of Ravenna): A superb museum there with a Bragosso in the museum, and several outside in the canal: 

image.jpeg.cef30b09c292391569358048d592db34.jpeg

16 minutes ago, Harvey Golden said:

Very nice to see this! I, too would like to build a model of one someday (torn between these or a Trabaccolo...). Marzari's book is superb; another is Penzo's, from 1992:  (They are very complimentary, with each having things the other doesn't cover; I'd say either stands alone well for model making).

image.jpeg.6346137314b987e82bd3cc44d1ffc1d0.jpeg

Lesser known than Venice of course, is Cessenatica (south of Ravenna): A superb museum there with a Bragosso in the museum, and several outside in the canal: 

image.jpeg.cef30b09c292391569358048d592db34.jpeg

Penzo and Marzari are the greatest experts on Adriatic boats, each of their books is a treasure !! the 2 models that I have reproduced are part of the maritime museum of Cesenatico, In my opinion the trabaccolo is among all the Adriatic boats the most fascinating (Marzari has made a beautiful monograph)

28751422_389405078131895_5812850713121783808_n.jpg

1463916263_9ba48dde41_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

The picture posted below hangs in my living room and was painted, supposedly in Venice, in about 1898 by the relative of a family friend.  He gave it to my parents in 1932 as a wedding present.

I thought that I would post it here to see if you could identify the type of watercraft.  It might be what you are building.

RogerIMG_0004.thumb.jpeg.30968224677870e5a18b46d7050ac6cb.jpeg

Edited by Roger Pellett

20 hours ago, Roger Pellett said:

The picture posted below hangs in my living room and was painted, supposedly in Venice, in about 1898 by the relative of a family friend.  He gave it to my parents in 1932 as a wedding present.

I thought that I would post it here to see if you could identify the type of watercraft.  It might be what you are building.

RogerIMG_0004.thumb.jpeg.30968224677870e5a18b46d7050ac6cb.jpeg

Hi Roger, in fact the boat in the painting you posted is very similar to a bragozzo, it could be this boat .