Question about the Sloop Polychrest from Patrick O'Brian's "Post Captain"

I'm currently reading the book "Post Captain", by Patrick O'Brian.  When describing the sloop Polychrest, they often describe that it was built around an experimental weapon that is from what I can gather some form of a rocket.  I know rockets had been around for a few hundred years by this point, but I'm having trouble visualizing what this weapon would look like on a Sloop, and how the boat would need to be designed around it.  Are there any real world examples of a weapon remotely similar used on a ship of the time that I could reference, or was this just a purely fictional weapon that O'Brian came up with?

Current Build

HMS Sphinx, Vanguard Models 1:64 Scale

Finished Builds:

HMS Beagle

Hmm... secret weapon type rockets...  a variation of the Congrieve?  The timing would fit per Wikipedia.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

26 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Hmm... secret weapon type rockets...  a variation of the Congrieve?  The timing would fit per Wikipedia.

Good suggestion, did a bit of googling on the Congreve rockets and it does show several pictures of their use on boats and ships on the Wikipedia page.  Interesting how it looks like they were basically inserted into the hull of the ship like a bottle rocket.  I think this really helps, I was just trying to visualize how a ship would be designed for a rocket.  In my mind I was picturing a large emplacement in the deck sort of like a Bomb Vessel,  but now I see some pictures I can better understand they probably used a simple rail system off the side of the ship.

Plate_11._The_Throwing_of_Rockets_from_Men_of_War_Boats.jpg.0bfb9dfeec8c3436576cabb3b2d42ddc.jpg

Firing_Congreve_Rockets_PAH7444.jpg.2cf250bc277d1e3d96234551a8ccbe66.jpg

Current Build

HMS Sphinx, Vanguard Models 1:64 Scale

Finished Builds:

HMS Beagle