New Occre Release 4-28-2024 La Belle Poule

Well, here we are again with another Occre release barely 2.5 months since their previous release of the San Felipe.

It is the French Frigate La Belle Poule. Built in 1/90 scale and just under 43 inches long. The kit is comprised of 6600+ pieces and it's being offered on Occre's website for $562.99 U.S currency.

I haven't seen it being offered on Model Expo's site as of 1:30pm. 

I believe this ship was best known for transporting Napolean Bonaparte's ashes from Saint Helena back to France

Screenshot_20240428_134908_Chrome.jpg

Posted (edited)

This was a good move on their behalf in my opinion.

It will be unique in the kit world like their Terror, Erebus and Polaris.

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

This ship is a subject of a AAMM monograph. 

The plans are 3 sheets and the scale is 1/75.

If the OcCre plans are not as complete as they could be, this is a ready source for details.

As with the other AAMM Age of Sail subjects, the plans are designed for a carved hull build.

The lines are more than enough for a POB build.  There are enough points for a standard plotting of frames for POF - but no buttock lines.

To my eye, the frigate itself is an excellent example of the last of the pure sail warships.  When efficiency was  the primary guiding factor of the design.

Here is the description from the AAMM shop:

"La Belle-Poule
first rank frigate (1834 - 1861)

The Belle-Poule is one of the last large sail frigates and a masterwork of the shipyards because of its speed, power and handling ease.

With very pure lines and little camber, its battery painted white accentuated further the horizontality of its hull. Launched in 1834 she was involved in a number of military actions. But her fame is essentially due to the fact that, under the command of the Prince of Joinville, King Louis Philippe’s son, she was sent to St.Helen’s island to recover Napoleon’s body for burial in its final resting place in the Invalides. It was at that time that the white line of its gun ports was painted black and so it is for the Museum model.

This model, albeit complicated, can be built by non professional, but patient and skilful model boat builders. It is a rather large model, very decorative, especially if one paints in white the gun ports line, as for all the ships of that period in France.

Specifications :
Displacement : 1 500 tonneaux.
Lenght : 54 m.
Beam : 15 m.
Armament :
Battery :
Two 80 pound howitzers
Twenty eight 30 pound guns
Deck :
Twenty six 30 pound caron guns
Four 30 pound howitzers on deck
Fighting tops :
Eight swivel guns

Model building : Advanced skills and time required

Scale of drawing : 1/75th,
Three plans, four photographs, one notice (french)."

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

• The title was changed to New Occre Release 4-28-2024 La Belle Poule
2 hours ago, Ogontz said:

I apologize for messing up the date of the release in the title line. It should read 4-28-2024

I fixed the title for you.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, consitution said:

GrandpaPhil

with the greatest of respect but Occre’s Terror and Erebus are a total rip off

its the same kit except the Erebus has 2 nameplates

I know.  They are essentially the same ships.  They even share the same plans in NMM.  Either way, they fill a void in the kit market.

I’ve never bought or built an Occre kit.  I have thought about buying their kit of the Endurance or the other Polar ships.

La Belle Poule I would build from the AAMM plans if I were going to build it.

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Posted (edited)

Phil,  @GrandpaPhil

AAMM is the source for another (two actually) Polar ship  -but South Pole  -  L'Astrolabe   (and her sister La Zelee).

The S.I.  has plans for the four USN Polar explorers at the South Polar region at the same time -  Vincennes, Porpose II,  Peacocok II  

- the Flying Fish -ex. Independance pilot schooner that is the S.I. plan is also available for free-  the John McKeon from the Wm H. Webb folio.  -  to actually match Flying Fish the breadth needs to be increased 20' 7" to 22' 6',  the depth 7' 6" to 8' 8" ,  the length 70'  to 85' 6"    Increasing the Body plan by 110% is all that the breadth and depth require.   Increasing the length by a fixed percent is not without some unwanted distortion.  Just increasing the breadth alone and making the 54 spaces 8" instead of 6" lengthens the hull without distorting the stem and stern.

Beagle also took a shot at the region I believe.  For this, I think starting with ZAZ5137 and following  Marquardt's demonstration of the alterations.....

Edited by Jaager

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

@Jaager 

Thank you very much for the information!