Yards at 45 degrees or more

Posted (edited)

Hello, I'm starting rigging and looking ahead to how I would like to display the Yards with furled (semi-furled) sails.  Because of space reason, I would like to have the yards at roughly 45 degrees or even more.  Basically, with one end toward the deck and the other toward the sky.

I looked at a lot of pictures and could not find any with this configuration.  Did anyone ever saw one?  Was there even a purpose for it?  such as dock at a port?

let me know if you came across anything.  -- cheers

For reference, I'm working on the "HMS Revenge".

Edited by Loracs

Completed Build: Chinese Pirate Junk

Current Build: HMS Revenge

Posted (edited)

Hi, if furling your sails this would typically indicate a ship in harbour rather than at sea (unless only some sails were furled and others set - in use).  As such your proposed arrangement would be very unusual I think, well for square sails at least.  Normally, in harbour, the square sail yards were shown in their lowered position and arranged horizontally athwartship.

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Tilting the yards out of the horizontal as you propose would be bizarre! It would mark the model as unrealistic and amateurish.

I understand your desire to reduce the space the model takes up. There is no reason why you couldn't rotate the yards around the masts in the horizontal plane. This was done at sea to orient the sails properly to the wind. This is what the braces were used for.

Posted (edited)

Thank you for your input both...  I greatly appreciate.   That why I was asking...  I was afraid it may look odd.

Keeping the spars horizontal but rotate around the masts is a great idea.  It would help with the space issue while retaining fidelity to the model.  I like it a lot!

Edited by Loracs

Completed Build: Chinese Pirate Junk

Current Build: HMS Revenge

Sailing ships alongside a wharf sometimes 'cockbilled' their lower yards (as in the image below of Port Adelaide in the 1860's) to avoid damage to the yards, but otherwise, as has been noted above, they would have been square. It was generally considered 'bad form' not to have your yards properly squared in port.

John

sailingshipsportadelaide.jpg.58352aecd05d6741bfd2df0f280b2a54.jpg

unrealistic and amateurish?... so what! if it pleases you and solves your space issue... go for it! are you displaying it in a museum or entering a contest as an exact replica, being judged by the realistic police? 

do what you think is best for you. im sure anyone seeing your model will be impressed by your workmanship regardless of how realistic or amateurish it looks.

Some good conversations for sure.  If the OP is needing to save space, canting the yards to mimic catching the wind from the beam would provide the needed space relief and replicate the model in a more natural setting.  Note nearly every historical painting, of large ships...namely clippers, and you will see the yards/sails are faced.  The wind rarely drives from astern.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."