Dutch 17th century pleasure vessel by Alvb - FINISHED - 1/250 - CARD - from plans by Ab Hoving/Nicolaas Witsen

The front mast has received its sail..

20240731_123016.thumb.jpg.cbd5993f98d07c660d4e68e99134b92a.jpg

The sails are made of paper from a flower shop that is only 0.05 mm thick. Below are the steps of production.

-Port and starboard sides printed together

-Folded along the center line and glued together

-Cut out

-Leek rope glued on

20240729_122126.thumb.jpg.591a300ad29a27033417962abf522ce3.jpg

I know the logs are a bit too thick...

20240731_092529.thumb.jpg.9ada8b523f8b8ccd6a346ed91ef7c6da.jpg

Alvb

14 hours ago, Rik Buter said:

Yes, they are boat hooks.

speeljacht.jpg.6982d9694e27e94756f99d4484ddfc0e.jpg

Rather than boat-hooks (because they actually do not have hooks at the end) I think these are poles for 'poling' the boat along canals or to push it across shoals (of which are a lot in the Zuiderzee and the tidal waters around). The fork at the end would suggest this. Such poles can still be found on Dutch craft.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

If it were a pole it would interfere with the leeboard operation and if stowed on the outside of the hull would make it likely to get separated and lost. Early artist were at times sketchy about details. 

Current Builds: 1880s Floating Steam Donkey Pile Driver 

Wood Hull Screw Frigate USS Tennessee

Decorative Carrack Warship Restoration, the Amelia

Completed: Early Swift 1805 Model Restoration

We are making progress in small steps. The main mast and its sail are up.

20240807_095753.thumb.jpg.2902da47160962e0839ff8fb884c54b4.jpg

One thing is giving me a bit of a headache now.
The sail sheets are led over "Leuwagen" or sheet brackets (what is the English term?). But where are they attached? Looking at contemporary depictions, the jib sheet could be attached to the lower block, but the main sheet could be attached somewhere further in front of its "Leuwagen".

What do you think about it?

Alvb

On 7/31/2024 at 2:10 PM, Keith Black said:

If it were a pole it would interfere with the leeboard operation and if stowed on the outside of the hull would make it likely to get separated and lost. Early artist were at times sketchy about details. 

Van der Velde was not sketchy on details. So when he draws something, there was somehing. I know of things misding from his drawings, butnot of ‘making up’. A boathook or pole is the most likely. Often those are stoeed on the shrouds, but these ships dont have those. Given length and the fact that you should have them on hand, outboard stowage is logical.

Jan

Sail sheet: attached to the lower block of the tackle. Left overvRope coiled on deck, or attached to the nearest side. As far as I know both for main and jib.

Does your rigging also has the so-called ‘dirk’: a rope running from the mast top to the end of the boom?

Jan

Posted (edited)

Thanks Amateur,

I arranged the sail sheet like this on the foresail, and on the mainsail I placed it on the side of the ship. That's how I interpreted the illustrations.

The same applies to a dirk only on the mainsail. The dirk cannot be seen above because it runs on the port side and is therefore hidden by the sail.

Alvb

Edited by Alvb

• 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to Dutch 17th century pleasure vessel by Alvb - FINISHED - 1/250 - CARD - from plans by Ab Hoving/Nicolaas Witsen