Duyfken by Olli Sukunimisson - Kolderstok - 1:50

She is huge. That was my first (and strong) impression when I opened the package I received in the mail. She is really huge. It’s not just about the size — the hull is only about a third longer than the Lady Nelson — but the thickness of the keel and the frames. I'm attaching a photo so you can see the comparison between the Lady Nelson, Speeljaht, and Duyfken. Yes, at this scale, you can work on the details even without a microscope. Everything looks in place, lovingly arranged and packed. Kolderstok was kind enough to include a small boat as a bonus.

P.S. To be fair, the only thing that raised questions for me was the detail of the sculptures. After all, this lion only vaguely resembles a lion. On the other hand, there's plenty of time before they're installed. I'll think about it later. Maybe this is a good opportunity to learn wood carving or 3D printing.

IMG_1135.jpg

Interesting to see what you are going to do with this kit. About the sculptures...that's what's holding me back to buy these kits. The sculptures look really low in quality, with the new techniques available, you would say this could be way better/more detailed. And I think overall the kits can be a bit more refined/better scaled.

That being said...i'm really glad there are manufacturers that produce Dutch ships and i'm hoping they are raise their game like Vanguard Models and Syren ship models to name a few do. 

Currently working on the HMS Sphinx from Vanguard Models

I’m almost done with the deck planking. I tried to come up with a pattern that would be slightly less regular than a typical chessboard.

IMG_1183.thumb.jpg.5a80a2d80116f6d88f5424192f730ef6.jpg

The first wale is starting to take shape.

IMG_1182.thumb.jpg.3cbfe2a8aaee1bed1947325e32a6352a.jpg

I hope my investment in professional ship modeling equipment will prove to be worthwhile.

IMG_1184.thumb.jpg.37a14b1a398c9aaca17e9038538748e6.jpg

Good luck with this new build. About single or double planking, if you haven't already seen it, have a look at some considerations given here:

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/21306-double-planking-a-hull-pros-and-cons/

Best regards,

Dan

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64Lady Nelson - Amati Victory 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart

Olli, your Duyfken build will be fun to follow.   The criticisms of the sophistication of the Kolderstok line are valid, but I also think their kits are at least as exciting as the other manufacturers mentioned, but in a different way:  who else has ever given us kits of the famous Dutch 17th types?  For me, Kolderstok kits are a long-held dream come true.

I'm very interested in hearing how your investigations of the carving develop.   Are you thinking to do it digitally, or hand carve?

Bob

Bob

current build 

Dutch 17th Century Pinas - Kolderstok - Scale 1:50 - Cross-Section

upcoming builds                               past builds

Statenjacht - Kolderstok - 1:50                                         USS Peary (DD 226) - Tehnoart Ltd - 1:96 (gallery)

Fluytschip - Kolderstok - 1:72                                            USS DeHaven (DD 727) - Tehnoart Ltd - 1:192

back on the shelf                                                              USS Robert E. Peary (FF 1073) - 1:250

Mayflower - Model Shipways - 1:76.8   

Thanks, Bob!
Agreed, the magnificent ships of the Golden Age are a unique offering, and Kolderstok seems almost like a monopolist in this niche.
As for the wood carving, I haven’t fully decided yet. The easiest option is to order a model and 3D print it, but I’ll weigh the options and decide closer to the time. Hand carving would be cool, but I'm not quite confident in my artistic abilities.
The next step, of course, will be a scratch build with a full set of frames! :)

The model may be big, but the full-sized replica/reconstruction is tiny! I went aboard her when she was being built, and they were giving away small off-cuts of oak from building her. I still have it.

She's a beautiful vessel, but it's hard to believe something that small actually sailed to the other side of the world.

Your model is going very well. I look forward to seeing more progress. 

Any chance of a photo of the 'lion' figurehead?

Steven

Heh, I hope tomorrow I’ll get the chance to visit the Amsterdam Maritime Museum. This time, I know exactly what I want to see and which details I want to photograph.
Yeah, such a tiny ship and such a long journey. For me, it’s also a matter of time. Imagine, they made this voyage at the very beginning of the 17th century. That’s unbelievable from the perspective of Eastern European history. Heh, such different levels of science—it feels like a live session of Civilization.
As for the lion, it’s not a disaster, but you see—it’s a bit low-poly. I’ll try to improve it a bit. But come on, this is just a tiny detail of a beautiful ship

IMG_1197.jpg

IMG_1200.jpg

IMG_1201.jpg

I see what you mean about the lion. It's plastic, is it? I'd say with a bit of work with a scalpel with a Number 11 blade, you might be able to improve the detailing and turn it into something worthwhile.

Maybe a bit difficult to get it as good as the one on the full-sized ship (below), which is, frankly, superb - but certainly better than what they supplied you with. I've done a lot of woodcarving, but I wouldn't be able to get a result that good.

image.png.342b2a95bf70115fd938629c6cb58b80.png

Steven

Edited by Louie da fly

I met Hans and looked at his models offline. Hans is wonderful, and his ships are beautiful too. It’s funny that I recognized his ships first and only later noticed the name badge on his chest. I'm sure - my next project will be his speelyacht. She is perfect—at least to my eye. She has a beautiful balance of simplicity and detail. I’ve realized that overly complex models intimidate me. Not because of the amount of work, but due to a certain obsessive complexity. Details for the sake of detailing. I want the ship to be beautiful. And the hundred cannons on Victory—that's not about beauty, but about the power of a broadside! :) Without a doubt, this is just my own, and obviously mistaken, opinion. :) 

Edited by Olli Sukunimisson

2 hours ago, Olli Sukunimisson said:

I want the ship to be beautiful. And the hundred cannons on Victory—that's not about beauty, but about the power of a broadside!

You and me both.  That’s why my Victory is only half complete and sits on a shelf now.

Sometimes I get in the mood for a battle wagon and then I work on the Victory, but most of the time I want to work on those ships I find beautiful.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

Getting closer to the final. Wood is a lot like people—you can easily break them if you apply too much pressure. But if you keep them in a boiling water for 15 minutes, they will follow any of your requests. No, no, no—I wasn’t talking about punishment, as you might have thought. It was just a joke about saunas.:) 

IMG_1413.thumb.jpg.a57b8e2b370ab981848045bbbe30ff9b.jpg

And yes, a big thanks to Ronald-V—his planking inspired me. I'm just trying to create something similar. :)

IMG_1414.thumb.jpg.5717b797b52b3e9cf4350e5bc17c2e31.jpg

Thank you very much, gentlemen. I am especially pleased to read your messages because you have been and continue to be my teachers. I tried to do everything as carefully as I can. It isn't perfectly yet, but yes, much better than last time :). Thank you, I’ll keep trying.
PS: The ship is truly inspiring. She has her own charm and unique identity.

PPS: Starting to dance around the stern ornaments. Heh, experiments, experiments, and more experiments ahead :)